cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Film club: Are you a film buff?

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi guys,

You may recall the great 'Saturday night film club' formed by our very own Liquid a few weeks back.

Are you a film buff? Do you like discussion performances, themes and symbolism in your movies? Or you do just enjoy exploding robots? Sound off below and get involved!

This week we have a wide choice, and I have highlighted a few below, but feel free to post your suggestions, the more variety the better and it doesn't not matter on the day, we film buffs will watch a great movie any time. Also, are these films worth watching? Post your reviews slight_smile

1). Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi

Directed by Martin Mcquand

Sat 10th Nov. 14:45-17:20 on ITV1  return-of-the-jedi.jpg

The classic trilogy concludes. It caters to all of your Sci-fi needs; Tiny bears, uncomfortable family interaction and space battles. What  more do you need?

- David Lynch turned down the chance to direct this movie

- The biggest grossing film of 1983

- Kenny Baker, who played R2 D2 also played an Ewok named Paploo.

2). The Polar Express

Directed by Robert Zemeckis

Sat 10th Nov. 17:55-19:50 on ITV2 

The acclaimed director of Back to the Future bring us his first effort using performance capture and a great multi-performance from the great Tom Hanks. If you can get past the strange eyes on each character, this is an enchanting little movie that may get you in a slightly festive mood slight_smile

- The main character's (the boy) name is never mentioned 

- All the train tickets in the film have the number 1225 on them; Christmas day slight_smile

3). Valkyrie

Directed by Bryan Singer

Sun 11th Nov. 21:00-23:25 on Five 

The untold story of an assassination plot on Adolf Hitler by the men in his command. A wonderful cast from both sides of the pond. Even though the outcome is predictable, it is a very riveting watch.

- Many scenes were re-shot because a large part of the film reel was destroyed by spilled chemicals.

- 3 of the cast members also starred in the German film d\Downfall, chronicalling the last days of Adolf Hilter's life

Valkyrie_1.jpg

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 1 of 135
134 REPLIES 134

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
That was a huge shot in the dark:) he was such a talented man.

I'm a massive fan of Pixar slight_smile
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 11 of 135

Anonymous
Not applicable

love all their films, he was a co founder of Pixar then was on the Disney board of directors as well until apple needed his creative genius again as they were going down the pan

Message 12 of 135

Anonymous
Not applicable
has anyone been watching the first two films? I'm quite curious to hear some opinions on them slight_smile
Message 13 of 135

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Sorry Leonard, they're on too early for me. Saturday afternoon is a footy reserved afternoon for me and especially when my red-shirted heroes are on live!Smiley Very Happy

Message 14 of 135

Anonymous
Not applicable
So, another good day for you then, jonsie slight_smile
Message 15 of 135

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

In the end:smileyhappy: but I have to say I was a little worried for a while:smileytongue:

Message 16 of 135

Anonymous
Not applicable

i have seen all the back to the future films, brilliant i may add, anyone ever played those adventure gmes they brought out last year to tie in with the 25th anniversary

Message 17 of 135

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
I watched Return of the jedi and I didnt enjoy it as much as I used to!

It looks very dated now and the only thing holding it together is Han solo grin

Going back to Pixar, have you guys seen Brave yet? is it any good?

'Up' was on of my top films last year.
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 18 of 135

Anonymous
Not applicable

ive rented out a few films recently, but the only one i actually enjoyed was The Avengers, (being a bit of a geek) and of course tying in with Halloween i watched Dark Shadows (starring Johnny Depp) which was very funny.. but apart from that, i feel films are bland now, and are virtually the same storyline... 

Message 19 of 135

Anonymous
Not applicable

Avengers was amazing, bet dc won't try a crossover like that with their characters for years

Message 20 of 135