Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brexit: No-deal opponents defeat government

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122363 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Tory rebels and opposition MPs have defeated the government in the first stage of their attempt to pass a law designed to prevent a no-deal Brexit.

The Commons voted 328 to 301 to take control of the agenda, meaning they can bring forward a bill seeking to delay the UK's exit date.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49573555

Boris Johnson responded by saying he would bring forward a motion for a general election.

And so the saga continues clown

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 69
68 REPLIES 68

jonsie
  • 92919 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

If we saw all this on Monty Python we would think it more than silly.

Message 2 of 69

Cleoriff
  • 122363 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

There is no doubt in my mind each and every politician votes with their own agenda and this is payback for Johnson prorogation move.

It's not about Brexit, it's like a bunch of spoilt kids saying 'take that'!

Of course they are also making sure he knows we are meant to be a democracy.

I bet Theresa May is laughing her head off at the absolute fiasco of it all.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 69

Cleoriff
  • 122363 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Boris has sacked the 21 Tory MPs who voted against him

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/full-list-21-tory-rebels-19358380

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 69

jonsie
  • 92919 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Yes Theresa May is no doubt laughing....along with the EU and the rest of the world!

Message 5 of 69

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10672 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions
The electorate were not properly prepared for the vote far too much rhetoric. It is my opinion this referendum was essential to get right as it seriously affects the country and everyone living in it. In business board rooms on an issue as serious as this would require a something like a 2/3rds majority. To move this country on such a close count is irresponsible. To ignore the voters of such a large number for remain is very tricky and if there are shortages, no work or a large number of unemployed and a downturn in the economy it is fuel for civil unrest.
Who better to know this than our Government therefore we will have a "fudge" and end up being out but in but not at the top table (very clever). Ah well the brits have had to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune before.

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 6 of 69

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25022 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Boris Johnson will table a motion for a General Election tonight at 9pm.

Under Parliamentary rules, he will require a two-thirds majority - 434 of all MPs - to vote in favour, but Labour have said they will not vote for his snap election

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/breaking-labour-confirm-theyll-vote-19427719 

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 7 of 69

Cleoriff
  • 122363 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Jeremy Corbyn hey? Been calling for a General Election for ages....and now they wont vote for one.

Makes you wonder why? Is it because he thinks he will lose? That's my best guess rolling_eyes

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 69

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10672 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

Jeremy Corbyn hey? Been calling for a General Election for ages....and now they wont vote for one.

Makes you wonder why? Is it because he thinks he will lose? That's my best guess rolling_eyes

Tactics with our lives/livelihoods @Cleoriff 

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 9 of 69

jonsie
  • 92919 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Labour will lose any general election whilst JC is leader. Most Labour supporters dislike him, no charisma and just shows why the electing public have zero trust in any party moving this country forward.

The Tories would probably get back in with the same outcome of no majority.

In the three years since the referendum, many of the older generation who voted to leave will have passed away and there is a whole new generation of 15-17 year olds eligible to vote and I'm of the opinion that if you took a poll of all voters now that they would vote to remain

I firmly believe that article 50 should be revoked but there seems to be little chance of that happening.

Message 10 of 69