Did you mean: 

A Postcard from Skipton, North Yorkshire, England

RunrigForever
Level 19: Quirky
  • 2181 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

_methode_sundaytimes_prod_web_bin_8068316a-25f3-11e8-b146-064d59a91d4d.jpg

Skipton is known as the Gateway to the (Yorkshire) Dales, although it's not actually in the National Park.

The name Skipton comes from the two words 'Sheep Town.'  Plenty of large sepia old photographs on the walls of The Devonshire, a JD Wetherspoons pub. Also Craven museum is in the newly refurbished / restored Town Hall. There used to be a few of the old boxy computers. I took great interest in the Byegone Days of the Craven area. I need to check out to see if there is disabled access to the first floor.

Skipton_railway_station_geograph-2242257-by-Ben-Brooksbank.jpg

Skipton grew as a typical market town. Shortly before I came to live in the town, the auction mart re-located to the outskirts of the town with Morrison's supermarket built on the site not far from the railway station. It would have been for steam trains - LMS London Midland Scottish. The Midland Hotel opposite the vehicular access to the station is now Herriots Hotel Bar & Restaurant.

The Leeds Liverpool canal runs through the town with a branch called Springs canal. This cul-de-sac terminates at the back of the castle. The Fattorini family still live in part of the castle. They were jewellers and made the Rugby League Challenge Cup Trophy. From Easter the castle is well worth a look. Sometimes there are special days where such as archery is demonstrated. The commerce in the town is declining. Plenty of pubs and micro bars to sample food and drink. Still a rather quaint town and a nice place to be. 

b76ba4c0cc1fdebbecc69570bf191a5f--branches-walking.jpg

***DESORMAIS***
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

BobM
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 4424 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@RunrigForever 

I enjoyed reading that - very interesting.

It looks a nice place to live. 👍

Message 2 of 5

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122979 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

Lovely pictures @RunrigForever. I like reading about places in bygone days.

Thanks for posting.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 5

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10773 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions

Thank you for the lovely photographs and a very interesting read

most enjoyed @RunrigForever 

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 4 of 5

RunrigForever
Level 19: Quirky
  • 2181 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you @BobM @Cleoriff @TallTrees for your kind comments. A Big Thank You to @Breanna for posting the pictures 😊

***DESORMAIS***
Message 5 of 5