Did you mean: 

50 Milion affected by new Facebook leak

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Yet again......

Facebook Inc says it has discovered a security issue affecting almost 50 million accounts.

The social media company said engineers discovered the incident took place last Friday, on 25 September, and an investigation is still in the early stages.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/sep/28/facebook-50-million-user-accounts-security-berach

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

And I bet all 50 million of them won’t give a toss..

Message 2 of 8

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Section from the Facebook blog link:

"Second, we have reset the access tokens of the almost 50 million accounts we know were affected to protect their security. We’re also taking the precautionary step of resetting access tokens for another 40 million accounts that have been subject to a “View As” look-up in the last year. As a result, around 90 million people will now have to log back in to Facebook, or any of their apps that use Facebook Login. After they have logged back in, people will get a notification at the top of their News Feed explaining what happened."

So a difference of 40 million on top of an estimated 50 million is a "precaution"?

Oh that explains why I had to log back in again after viewing and coming back again. It will probably be a few days before it pops up in my news feed because FB doesn't like you to see things in date order and won't let you change it as you really need to see a post from 7 days ago thats so out of date by about 6 days. 

Guess another mega download of an app update heading towards my phone. 

Message 3 of 8

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122826 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Thanks for the heads up @jonsie

Currently being discussed on all UK news channels. rolling_eyes

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

The masses won’t understand the value of their data until it’s used for nefarious purposes, so in the meantime, breaches like this will be dismissed.

And i just don’t understand why people don’t see this on a par with a burglary or a robbery! 

Message 5 of 8

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

The masses won’t understand the value of their data until it’s used for nefarious purposes, so in the meantime, breaches like this will be dismissed.

And i just don’t understand why people don’t see this on a par with a burglary or a robbery! 

If you don't know the data then you won't know....

But the underlying problem is the complacency in believing that Google/FB etc are providing you with a service thats free. People need to get it into their head its never been free and just a big profiling exercise to sell on to marketing departments to exploit "you" in order to sell you things. 

Message 6 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sheepdog wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

If you don't know the data then you won't know....

But the underlying problem is the complacency in believing that Google/FB etc are providing you with a service thats free. People need to get it into their head its never been free and just a big profiling exercise to sell on to marketing departments to exploit "you" in order to sell you things. 

In my eyes you don’t need to know the ins and outs of what details they have, just that they do.

I wouldn’t walk out on the street and give my name, address, date of birth, place of birth, previous addresses, my job and previous jobs to a random stranger. That stuff is reserved for job applications, security checks, banking and such.. or it should be..

And anyone who sticks that stuff out there for such casual / social apps surely deserves a good slap and a lesson in security.. maybe even a costly one to make it sink in.. 

Kids I can understand but adults.. They’re supposed to show common sense and good judgement.. infuriating

interesting stuff @sheepdog .. 

Message 7 of 8

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10765 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions

@sheepdog

@Anonymous

I do not join those "social media" sites but still had a data breach from my ISP

2015/2016 having to provide those details for ISP requirements.

2018 I am still paying for that breach. It is still a terrible and disturbing experience and will

probably never go away.

Agreed ~ I will never (knowingly!) put my data "out there" casually ~ trying to be careful about who to give that information to,  even that's a difficult decision always for me.frowning2

TallTrees

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 8 of 8