Did you mean: 

Virgin Mobile to O2. All you need to know

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

What's happening?
As you'll likely already be aware, Virgin Media and O2 merged in June 2021 creating the UK’s largest telecoms challenger with award-winning mobile services and the fastest widely available broadband in the market all under one roof.

Virgin Media O2 will be giving millions of its customers more data and extra benefits this year as it begins moving all Virgin Mobile customers over to O2’s range of plans. The move will occur seamlessly and over the air for the vast majority of customers. Your phone number will not change and there will be no need to replace SIMs, change billing dates or information.

As part of this migration, millions of customers will receive unlimited texts and voice calls, and either double the data or unlimited data for the same amount each month – no customers will see the cost of their plan rise as a result of this move.

When's it happening?
In February 2023, we started contacting the first group of Virgin Mobile customers who'll be the first to move over to O2 mobile plans, and the switch will happen in March 2023. We'll continue to move customers over to O2 mobile plans throughout the year, and by the end of 2023 all existing and newly joined Virgin Mobile customers will have been moved to O2 plans.

For all ex-Virgin Mobile customers who have migrated to us, welcome to the family 💙

If you've landed on this thread and haven't seen much else yet on the O2 Community, then we wanted to highlight some other threads you may be interested in, such as:

FAQBanner.gif

Find out why this change is happening

More info

Why's this change happening?
This represents a key pillar in Virgin Media O2’s integration, with the first stage of this plan completed at the end of last year when the entire Virgin Mobile base transferred over to using the O2 network – so all data, voice and text traffic is already using the company’s connectivity. This latest stage now marks the moment when customer plans start moving over to O2.

When did Virgin Media and O2 merge?
Virgin Media and O2 joined forces in June 2021, creating the UK’s largest telecoms challenger with award-winning mobile services and the fastest widely available broadband in the market, all under one roof.

Will Virgin Mobile be changing its name to O2, or will there be any other branding changes?
Virgin Mobile will continue to offer flexible handset contracts and 30-day rolling SIM only plans this year, with a variety of options under consideration regarding the use of the Virgin Mobile brand in future.

Do you need to do anything?

More info

Do I need to do anything?
No, the move to O2 mobile plans will happen seamlessly and over the air for most of our customers – with no need to replace SIMs, port phone numbers or change billing dates or information.

All you will need to do is make sure your phone is switched on.

You'll get the exact details of the changes at least 30 days before we switch you over. This could be anytime throughout 2023.

Will my phone number change?
No, your phone number will not change and there will be no need to replace SIMs, change billing dates or information.

Can I stay on my existing Virgin Mobile plan?
You won't be able to stay with Virgin Mobile. But the good news is the O2 plan you're moving to will cost the same or less than your current Virgin Mobile plan, you’ll get either double the data or unlimited data for the same price and you're already using the O2 network with Virgin Mobile. If you really don’t think this is for you, you have the right to cancel without any early cancellation fees. If you have a handset loan with us, it won't be moved to O2 and will continue to be provided by Virgin Media Mobile Finance Ltd, which means your right to cancel won't extend to your handset loan.

I have more than one mobile phone number on Virgin Mobile, will they all be switched together? Do I need to do anything?
If you receive one bill from us with all your Virgin Mobile phone numbers on, they'll be switched together on the same day. We'll send your login details for My O2 via text to the first number we migrate; so please check with all users if you do not receive these directly. Once logged in to My O2, you can change the main contact to any of the ones listed in the Manage Your Details section.

However, if you receive more than one bill they may be moved on separate days. We'll advise you in advance on how this affects you.

I've been told my account's being moved from Virgin Mobile to O2, but I haven't received a new sim. Who do I speak to?
In most cases, you won't need a new sim to switch over from your Virgin Mobile plan to a new O2 plan. We'll try to sort everything remotely, so you don't have to do anything.

In order to let this happen, please keep your mobile switched on while we move you over.

We'll only send you a new sim if we can't switch you over remotely. This'll happen automatically and you won't have to order the sim yourself.

Do I need to do anything with my Virgin Mobile Direct Debit when I move over to O2?
No, you won't need to do anything. We’ll sort all the changes to your Direct Debit for you and send you a confirmation message.

Once you’ve moved over to your new O2 plan, your Direct Debit will be collected in the name of O2 instead of Virgin Mobile, and you'll see 'O2' on your bank or building society statement.

If you've another Direct Debit for your handset loan, this'll stay the same and the name on your bank or building society statement for this will still be 'Virgin Media'.

Do I have the right to cancel?
Yes. We'll be in touch to let you know before we move you to an O2 mobile plan and give you the right to cancel without any early cancellation fees if you think it’s not right for you. If you have a handset loan with us, it won't be moved to O2 and will continue to be provided by Virgin Media Mobile Finance Ltd, which means your right to cancel won't extend to your handset loan.

What are the benefits to you?

More info

Once switched over, what extra benefits will I get as an O2 customer?
When you’re with O2, you’ll have access to new benefits, while keeping some of the Virgin Mobile ones:

To start with you’ll get either double the data or unlimited data for the same price.

You’ll continue to be able to roam freely across Europe – up to 25GB, plus four extra countries making up 47 in total.

You’ll get Visual Voicemail which allows you to listen, save, share and delete voicemails using a visual interface on your phone, rather than calling voicemail.

You’ll also gain access to Priority from O2, with offers from high street brands, tickets, experiences and daily treats.

Your network coverage will be the same, as all Virgin Mobile customers are already using the O2 network which was recently awarded ‘Best Network for Roaming’ and ‘Most Popular Mobile Network’ at the Uswitch Awards.

Plus we'll always treat you fairly, with access to the same deals as new customers.

What's Visual Voicemail and what benefits will I see?
O2 uses Visual Voicemail – a quick and easy way to manage your voicemail on your phone.

Visual Voicemail lets you to listen, save, share and delete voicemails using a visual interface on your phone, so you can manage your messages without calling into your voicemail service.

It's available on newer iOS devices and some Android devices – see more

Can I get access to O2 services like Priority and Priority Tickets?
Yes, when you're on O2 you'll get to enjoy all O2 perks like daily treats from Priority from O2 and first dibs on tickets to gigs and events 48 hours early with Priority Tickets.

Once switched over, will I be charged more than my current tariff when I move to O2?
No, you'll either pay the same or less for your airtime tariff when you move to O2.

Can I get Volt benefits, and will they be applied automatically?
When your household is with both Virgin Media and O2, you’ll get supercharged speeds, data and WiFi (this is called our Volt benefits). That means double the mobile data on every eligible O2 Pay Monthly plan in your household. You’ll also get a broadband speed boost to the next available level (if you aren’t already on the fastest speeds you can get in your area and subject to availability). WiFi Pods are available if you find any WiFi blackspots in your home. Plus O2 Travel Inclusive Zone, so you can roam in 75 destinations at no extra cost.

Applying your Volt benefits when you switch to O2

If you’re eligible for Volt benefits and the name on your Virgin Media broadband account matches the name on your O2 mobile account, your Volt benefits will be added automatically within 14 days.

If your broadband and mobile accounts are in different names, or the names don’t match (eg Chris and Christopher), you’ll need to activate your Volt benefits in My O2, and they’ll be applied within 14 days.

You'll also need make sure the address on your O2 account matches the address on the Virgin Media broadband account, whether it’s in your name or someone else in your household. If they don’t quite match, you can edit your address in My O2.

If you’re unsure, you can check in My O2 seven days after your move. If you think everything's correct and still aren't seeing the options to activate your benefits, give us a call on 202 from your O2 mobile.

Find out more about supercharged benefits from Virgin Media and O2.

You can check your eligibility and activate Volt benefits in My O2.

What changes will I see?

More info

Billing, Payment Date & Spend Caps

More info

Will my bill date and payment date change?

More info
The bill date and payment date won't change for most of our customers. However, if you're usually billed on the 29th, 30th or 31st of the month, your bill date will move slightly to the 1st. This means your payment date will also move slightly to the 15th of the month (or after when that falls on days banks may not be open i.e. bank holidays). If this applies to you, we'll be in touch to let you know directly. The Direct Debit on your bank statement for your monthly airtime plan will also change from 'Virgin Mobile' to 'O2'.

Please note, this is only applicable for airtime payments. Any handset loan agreement payments will stay on the same day as they'll still be provided by Virgin Media Mobile Finance Ltd. Your Direct Debit for handset loan repayments won't change either, and will still show up as 'Virgin Media' on your bank statement.
Will my bill look different?
More info

Yes, your monthly bills will now come from O2 instead of Virgin Mobile. It'll look something like this:
O2bill_06d9bd0e6e.png

If you still have a handset loan with Virgin Media Mobile Finance Limited, you'll continue pay your Direct Debit as usual.

Will I still be able to access my old Virgin Mobile bills? How do I do this?
More info
Yes, you can check your Virgin Mobile bills through your Virgin Mobile online account.
How will my Virgin Mobile bills be managed during my move to O2?
More info
Your final Virgin Mobile bill will come out on your normal bill date. It'll only include any out-of-allowance charges you've incurred before moving to O2. Your monthly airtime charge will appear on your O2 bill from this date, which means your monthly charges won't overlap.

If you still have a handset loan with Virgin Media Mobile Finance Limited, you'll continue pay your Direct Debit as usual.
I pay for my handset and data package together in a single payment. What will happen to my deal once I switch to O2?
More info
If you pay for your handset and airtime package in a single payment, you will be moved to an O2 airtime plan. If you are out of contract, then your payment will have already changed to reflect an airtime only price. If you are still in contract, when you switch to O2, your payment will change to reflect an airtime only price.
Will my spending cap be moved over to O2 as well and what options will I have?
More info
If you've a spending cap on your Virgin Mobile account, we’ll move it over to your new O2 plan for you. If you don't have one, this'll stay the same on your new O2 plan.

After you've moved over to O2, you can choose to add a spend cap or change your existing cap by calling 202 for free from your O2 mobile, 0344 809 0202 from your home phone (standard UK rate), or +44 7860 980 202 if you’re abroad (free from an O2 Pay Monthly mobile, other providers' charges might vary).
What does out-of-allowance or out-of-bundle charge mean?
More info
An out-of-allowance or an out-of-bundle charge is the cost of services outside of your Virgin Mobile Pay Monthly plan. This includes, but isn't limited to, certain types of UK calls and messages, exceeding your data allowance, international costs (from the UK to abroad) and any roaming charges that fall outside of the 25GB data allowance in our Europe Zone.
I currently have a discount on my Virgin Mobile plan. Will I get to keep it when I move over to a new O2 plan?
More info
Yes, you'll keep any existing discounts you have on your Virgin Mobile plan when you move over to O2 as your net monthly cost (after all discounts) will remain the same.
Devices, handsets and loans
More info

I’m a Freestyle customer – what happens to my existing handset loan?

More info
Your Freestyle loan with Virgin Mobile won't change and you can keep paying it off on a monthly basis.

Once I've switched to O2, will I be able to trade in my old Virgin Mobile handset to O2?

More info
Yes, you can. With O2 Recycle, you can trade-in mobiles, wearables, watches and AirPods. Head to o2recycle.co.uk for more info and to get a quote.

What will happen to my Virgin Mobile Consumer Credit Agreement if I upgrade to a new device with O2?

More info
If you choose to enter a new Consumer Credit Agreement with O2 for a new device and have an outstanding loan on your existing Virgin Mobile device, you'll continue to pay the existing Virgin Media device loan. This means you might be paying for two credit agreements at the same time.

If I want to get a new device with O2 after I move over, will I be credit checked again?

More info
No, we won't do another credit check on your account if you get a new device with an O2 Custom Plan. We'll only ask you some questions to help make sure if the new credit agreement is right for you. Please note, to get a new device the mobile number being upgraded needs to have been with Virgin Mobile or O2 for at least 6 months.

I have Virgin Media Protect insurance for my handset – will this still be valid once I've switched to O2?

More info
Yes, your insurance will continue even after you've switched to an O2 mobile plan.

If my device with Virgin Mobile is faulty, who do I contact after I've been moved over to O2?

More info
After the switchover, you can call O2 on 0344 809 0202 for help and support.

If I damage my device bought through Virgin Mobile, will I be able to get it repaired by O2?

More info
After the switchover, you can call O2 on 0344 809 0202 for help and support.

Does my right to cancel include my handset loan agreement?

More info
No, the right to cancel only applies to the airtime part of your mobile package. Your handset loan agreement will stay the same according to the original terms you signed up to when you bought your device.

I have an eSim with Virgin Mobile – can I have one with O2 as well when I move over?

More info
Yes, you can. As we move you over from Virgin Mobile to your new O2 plan, we'll let you know how to swap your eSIM.

My Virgin Media and My O2 app

More info

Will I still be able to use the My Virgin Media app after I move from Virgin Mobile to O2?

More info
You will only be able to use the My Virgin Media app if you have broadband, TV or home phone services from us. You will need to register and use the My O2 app if you want to manage your mobile service.

What will I see in the My Virgin Media app after I move over to my new O2 mobile plan?

More info
Once you move over to your new O2 mobile plan, you'll only be able to use the My Virgin Media app if you have Virgin Media broadband, TV or home phone.

Can I change my O2 username or password?

More info
Please head here for how to change your username or password.

How do I set up My O2 if I haven't received a text with my new username?

More info

If you haven't received a text from us with your new username for My O2, please head to the My O2 app's help and support page.

If you have more than one mobile number with Virgin Mobile on the same bill, we'll send the text with your O2 username to the first phone number that moves over to O2.

How do I find out my username for My O2?

More info

We’ll send you a text with your My O2 username and password once you've moved over to O2.

If you have more than one mobile number with Virgin Mobile on the same bill, you'll get one My O2 username for all your accounts, and we'll send the text to the first phone number that moves over to O2.

Parental Controls

More info

I used to be able to access 18+ content with Virgin Mobile but not now with O2. How do I fix this?

More info
Please head to the age restricted content help page for how to access 18+ content on O2.

What parental control services do I get on O2 and how do I activate them?

More info
Check out how to use parental control services on O2.

Network & Roaming Coverage

More info

How do I check my O2 network coverage?

More info

Your network coverage won't change as you move to O2, because you're already using the O2 network with Virgin Mobile.

Head here for more info on O2's network and coverage, or to check your O2 network coverage.

Will I get charged for roaming in the EU now that I'm with O2?

More info
No, you'll continue to enjoy free EU roaming on O2 – up to 25Gb, plus four more extra countries than you currently get with Virgin Mobile. For more info on roaming with O2, please visit o2.co.uk/eu-roaming.

I’m an Oomph customer. What happens to my other products and my bill?

More info

Your Virgin Mobile airtime will be switched to O2 and you'll receive an O2 airtime bill. Your Virgin Media products such as broadband, TV and home phone will remain unchanged. The price will be reduced to reflect this and you won't pay any more.

Following your move to O2, you will be eligible for VOLT benefits.

What is VOLT?

Volt will Supercharge what our customers receive with exclusive benefits for being with both Virgin Media and O2 such as Supercharged data and broadband speeds, Supercharged connectivity as well as Tech treats such as:

• A broadband speed boost to the next tier up (e.g. 100Mbps boosted to 200Mbps)
  • Double mobile data on all eligible O2 Pay Monthly plans* (e.g. 10GB boosted to 20GB)
  • Up to £150 off a connected device such as a tablet or smartwatch when taking a new O2 Pay Monthly plan

When your household is with both Virgin Media and O2, you’ll get supercharged speeds, data and WiFi. That means double the mobile data on every eligible O2 Pay Monthly plan in your household. You’ll also get a broadband speed boost to the next available level (if you aren’t already on the fastest speeds you can get in your area and subject to availability). WiFi Pods are available if you find any WiFi blackspots in your home. Plus O2 Travel Inclusive Zone, so you can roam in 75 destinations at no extra cost.

Applying your Volt benefits when you switch to O2

If you’re eligible for Volt benefits and the name on your Virgin Media broadband account matches the name on your O2 mobile account, your Volt benefits will be added automatically within 14 days.

If your broadband and mobile accounts are in different names, or the names don’t match (eg Chris and Christopher), you’ll need to activate your Volt benefits in My O2, and they’ll be applied within 14 days.

You'll also need make sure the address on your O2 account matches the address on the Virgin Media broadband account, whether it’s in your name or someone else in your household. If they don’t quite match, you can edit your address in My O2.

If you’re unsure, you can check in My O2 seven days after your move. If you think everything's correct and still aren't seeing the options to activate your benefits, give us a call on 202 from your O2 mobile.

Find out more about supercharged benefits from Virgin Media and O2.

You can check your eligibility and activate Volt benefits in My O2.

I'm an Early Bird customer – once I have switched over, how do I upgrade early?

More info

If you're an Early Bird customer, you'll still be able to switch your device to a new one 12 months before your plan ends. If you're on a 24-month Early Bird plan, you can swap your device after you’ve paid your 12th bill. If you're on a 36-month Early Bird plan, you can do it after your 24th bill.

All you have to do is ring the O2 team on 202 from your O2 mobile phone when you're eligible to upgrade and let the team know you're an Early Bird customer.

You'll swap to a new O2 handset and airtime plan.

We'll send you a prepaid envelope so you can return your old device to us and, as long as it's in good working condition, your handset loan will be closed.

Your device must meet the below requirements to be eligible for an Early Bird upgrade:

• It must have the battery included
  • It must power on without an error message
  • Its screen and camera must not be cracked or damaged, and its case must have no missing parts
  • Its home button, all physical keys, all soft keys and touchscreen must be fully operational

If your device isn’t in good condition, we might have to devalue it, which could leave you with an outstanding balance on your old Virgin Mobile handset loan.

Service Differences on O2

More info

Are there any Virgin Mobile services that I'll no longer have access to?

More info

Yes, there'll be a few changes to your mobile services when you move to O2.

1. Data rollover and data-free messaging

• O2 doesn't offer data rollover or data-free messaging on WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger or Twitter. However, we'll go one better and at least double your data allowance (unless you already have unlimited data), so you have extra data every month just like rollover gave you.

2. Discounted Virgin Media home phone to Virgin Mobile call rates

• You'll no longer get discounted Virgin Media home phone to Virgin Mobile call rates as part of an active Virgin Media phone line. Instead, you'll qualify for Volt benefits.

3. Change your tariff allowances

• You won't be able to change your tariff allowances up or down. Find out more on My O2 or talk to someone from the O2 team here

4. Virgin Media's free WiFi hotspots

• You won't be able to access Virgin Media's free WiFi hotspots, but with Wifi Extra you can automatically connect to thousands of O2's wifi hotspots instead, wherever the signal is stronger than 3G or 4G in that area and if you have a compatible device.

After my switch to O2, how will the service compare to my previous Virgin Mobile service?
Billing

More info

You'll be billed by Telefonica UK Limited once you switch over to O2. If you pay by Direct Debit, you'll see this listed as ‘O2’ on your bank statement. To see your bills from O2, please register for My O2 online at o2.co.uk/myo2 – you'll get an invite to do this when your switch is complete.

Any handset loan agreement payments you have with Virgin Mobile won't change, as these will still be provided by Virgin Media Mobile Finance Ltd. Your Direct Debit for handset loan repayments will also stay the same, and show up as 'Virgin Media' on your bank statement.

Annual O2 price rises
As it did for Virgin Mobile, each year your annual plan will increase by the Retail Price Index (RPI) rate of inflation announced in February plus 3.9%. If RPI is negative, we’ll only apply the 3.9%. You’ll see this increase in April 2024. Find out more at o2.co.uk/prices.

Out-of-bundle charges
If you go over your monthly data allowance, you'll need to buy an O2 data Bolt On for additional data. Head to o2.co.uk/boltons for more details. Call charges might vary from your current Virgin Mobile airtime plan. Please visit o2.co.uk/help/account-and-billing/extra-charges-guide for full details.

EU roaming

Great news, you'll still get to use your airtime allowance when roaming across European countries (up to your regular data allowance or 25GB on plans with a 25GB and above allowance) as you do now on Virgin Mobile. You'll also bag access to additional destinations as part of O2’s Europe Zone, including Azores, Guernsey, Jersey, Isle of Man and Switzerland. O2’s Roaming Fair Usage policy will apply.

International roaming
You'll need to buy one of O2’s travel Bolt Ons to get inclusive data roaming in international destinations outside of the Europe Zone. For full details visit o2.co.uk/travel

Voicemail

More info

What'll happen to my voicemails?

More info

Following your move to O2 and if you have a compatible device, you will be able to use Visual Voicemail that lets you to listen, save, share and delete voicemails using a visual interface on your phone. This allows you to manage your messages without calling into your voicemail service.

Any existing voicemail messages and recorded greetings that are on your Virgin Mobile account will not be transferred over. Therefore, if you have any special voicemails you would like to keep after your move, you will need to record these onto another separate device. Please see details of how to do this on the question below.

I have a voicemail I want to keep, how do I do this?

More info

You will need to record the voicemail messages you want to keep onto another device, such as another phone or laptop.

The easiest way to do this is to record the voicemail message as a ‘voice memo’ on another mobile device:

• Open the ‘Voice Memo’ app (Apple) or ‘Voice Recorder’ app (Android) and start recording

• Play back the voicemail message on loudspeaker, holding the 2 devices close to each other

• Save the recording on the device. It can then be shared.

This works with laptops too, just use the ‘Voice Recorder’ or similar application and hold your phone near the microphone.

Alternatively, if your phone has a 3.5mm headphone port, you can use a 3.5mm audio cable to connect your phone and computer:

• Insert the audio cable into your phone and the microphone jack port on your computer

• Use an audio recording software on your computer (such ‘Audacity’ or ‘Garage Band’), click ‘record’ and playback your voicemail message

• Save and share the audio file from your computer

Will I get visual voicemail with my new O2 plan?

More info

O2 uses Visual Voicemail – a quick and easy way to manage your voicemail on your phone.

Visual Voicemail lets you to listen, save, share and delete voicemails using a visual interface on your phone, so you can manage your messages without calling into your voicemail service.

It's available on newer iOS devices and some Android devices – see more on the device help page.

Customer Support

More info

Now that I've moved over to my new O2 mobile plan, who do I contact for help and support?

More info

For help and support with your O2 Pay Monthly account, please head here or ring 202 for free from your O2 mobile, 0344 809 0202 from any home phone (standard UK rates) or +44 7860 980 202 if you're abroad (free from an O2 Pay Monthly mobile, other providers' charges might vary).

You might be able to find your answer online. Take a look at our articles below to see if they can help.

Worried about paying your bill? Learn about payment support.

Bill higher than expected? Read about what those extra charges might be.

Need to check your bill? Find out how to view your bill online.

Looking for a new device? Browse Pay Monthly phones.

Want to see our sim only deals? Browse Pay Monthly sims.

For any other Pay Monthly questions, check our Pay Monthly help articles.

I'm not happy about my mobile service with O2 – who do I speak to?

More info
It's our top priority to give you the best mobile service and experience we can. If you're not happy and would like to talk through an issue or launch a complaint, please get in touch with us.

Does my right to cancel extend to my other Virgin Media products?

More info
If your Virgin Mobile SIM was part of an Oomph bundle, the right to cancel will apply to all other Virgin Media products within that bundle too. If your Virgin Mobile SIM was on a separate contract to your other Virgin Media products, the right to cancel won't apply.

I have existing O2 and Virgin Mobile accounts. Will they be merged when my Virgin Mobile plan's switched over to O2?

More info
No, they'll remain separate accounts and not be merged.

When can I upgrade my mobile plan now that I've moved over to O2?

More info
If you're on a sim only plan, you can upgrade your mobile plan right away. If you have a handset loan with Virgin Mobile, you can upgrade to a new device after you've had your number on Virgin Mobile or O2 for 6 months. If you choose to enter a new Consumer Credit Agreement with O2 for a new device and have an outstanding loan on your existing Virgin Mobile device, you'll continue to pay the existing Virgin Media device loan. This means you might be paying for two credit agreements at the same time.

What'll happen to my Virgin Mobile Family Plan?

More info
You'll no longer be on a Virgin Mobile Family Plan when you move over to O2. But your net Monthly Charge (after all your discounts including Family Plan) will remain the same.

What changes will I see if I've signed up for Virgin's reward club, Virgin Red?

More info
There'll be no changes to your Virgin Red benefits once you move over to O2. If you also have Virgin Media broadband and/or TV, you can also keep earning points on Virgin Red and unlock rewards for your Virgin Media services.

What measures have you put in place to help vulnerable customers with their migration?

More info

We have a dedicated team to support vulnerable customers with their move to O2. In addition, any existing support processes we have in place to support vulnerable customers e.g. accessible billing and emails, will continue after the move from Virgin Mobile to O2.

If you need any additional support please contact O2 customer services on 0344 809 0202, webchat /stores

What happens during your move?

More info

What'll happen on the day I'm switched over from Virgin Mobile to O2?
On the day we move you over to O2, we'll simply update your SIM remotely so you won't need to do anything. Just remember to keep your mobile switched on and fully charged.

Once you’ve successfully moved over, you’ll see the O2 network displayed on your device and we’ll send you a text message to welcome you to O2.

In some cases, we might need to send you a new O2 sim but don’t worry, this is really simple and we’ll keep you updated along the way.

Do I need to leave my mobile switched on as I'm moved over to O2?

Yes, please keep your mobile switched on and charged on the day of switchover. If your phone isn't on, we won't be able to move you over remotely and will have to send you a new O2 sim.

Will I lose my mobile service while I'm switched over to O2?

In most cases, your mobile service will only stop working for around 1–2 minutes as we switch you over and your SIM restarts. Once this is done, you'll be able to use your mobile as normal.

How do I know if the switchover to my new O2 plan is complete?

Once you've successfully moved over to your new O2 plan, you'll see the O2 network displayed on your device and get a text message welcoming you to O2 with info on how to check your allowances, see your bills and more.

Who do I talk to if I need support while I'm being switched over to O2?

Before you move over to O2, you can reach us as normal by calling 0345 600 0789 from your mobile. After the switch over, please call the O2 team on 0344 809 0202 from your mobile.

If you're not sure when you're being moved to an O2 mobile plan, please check the letter or email we sent to you about the switch over.

What happens if I'm abroad on the day I'm being moved over to O2?

We can't move you over to your new O2 plan remotely if you're abroad when this is scheduled to happen. You'll get an SMS letting you know the migration couldn't be completed as planned and that we'll try again next month.

If this is the case, your mobile service won't be affected and you'll be able to continue using your mobile as normal.

Will my marketing preferences that I set up with Virgin Mobile be the same on my new O2 account?

Unfortunately not. To update your marketing preferences after you move over to O2, please go to My O2 or head here.

How will I know if the move to O2 hasn’t worked?

The move to your new O2 mobile plan should happen remotely with nothing you need to do – no need to swap SIMs, port your phone number or update any billing info. But if this doesn't work as planned, we'll text you to let you know and send you a new O2 sim. You'll be able to continue using your mobile on your existing Virgin Mobile plan until it arrives.

What do I do if I have no mobile service after moving over to O2?

Your mobile signal won't change as you move over to your new O2 mobile plan, as you're already using the O2 network with Virgin Mobile.

My move to O2 hasn't worked and I need a new O2 sim, which hasn't arrived or is damaged. Now, my Virgin Mobile SIM has stopped working. What do I do and who do I talk to for support?
If you haven't received your new O2 sim or it's damaged, please ring 0344 809 0202. So you know, you'll only get a new sim if we can't move you over to your new O2 mobile plan remotely.

My move to O2 didn't happen as planned and I need a new SIM sent to me, but the address on my account is wrong. How do I update my address?

If you need a new SIM sent to you but the address on your account is wrong, please ring us on 0344 809 0202 as soon as you can.

What happens with your personal data

More info

As part of the move to O2, will Virgin Mobile share my information with O2?
Yes, to switch your mobile service over to O2 we need to share certain information about you with O2, so they can provide you with mobile services on our behalf.

What information about me will Virgin Mobile share with O2?
To switch your mobile service to O2, we need to share certain information about you with O2. This includes:

• Contact information, like your name, address, phone number and email

• Personal information, like your preferred title, your date of birth and any accessibility preferences

• Service information, like the date your mobile service started and when it ends, and the airtime plan you're on including any spending caps you've set

• Bank information, like your sort code and account number

How will O2 use the information about me that Virgin Mobile shares?
O2 will use the information about you that we share with them to provide you with mobile services on our behalf. This includes:

• Connecting your SIM to the O2 network

• Managing the minutes, texts and data included in your O2 sim plan

• Calculating and issuing bills, and collecting payments

• Sending you information about your mobile service and your O2 sim plan

• Responding to your questions

• Administering your mobile service contract

Do I need to give Virgin Mobile permission to share information about me with O2?
No, not in this case. Since June 2021, Virgin Media and O2 have been part of the same group of companies, and we've been bringing together our mobile operations and businesses to offer our customers the best of what both companies have. Because of this, we can share your information with O2 as it's in the legitimate interests of both companies to do so.

This means that you don’t need to give us permission, but you do have a right to object. If you object to the processing of your personal information by O2 we won’t share your information with O2 for this purpose, and we won't be able to provide you with mobile services, and your mobile service will end.

If you choose to, you can cancel your mobile service without paying any cancellation fees.

To make sure your mobile service doesn't switch to O2, and to stop your information being shared with O2 for this purpose, your cancellation must go through at least 48 hours before you're scheduled to move over to O2. We'll confirm this date by letter and email at least 30 days ahead of time.

If you have a handset loan with us, it won't be moved to O2 and will continue to be provided by Virgin Media Mobile Finance Ltd, which means your right to cancel won't extend to your handset loan.

You can read about the legitimate interest legal basis.

Do I need to give O2 permission to use my data?
No, not in this case. Since June 2021, Virgin Media and O2 have been part of the same group of companies, as we bring together our mobile operations and businesses.

O2 has legitimate interest as its legal basis to use your information to provide mobile services on our behalf. This means O2 doesn't need your permission but you do have a right to object. If you object to the processing of your personal information by O2, O2 won't be able to provide you with mobile services and your service will end. You can exercise your right of objection at any time after moving to O2 – by emailing dpo@O2.com

The Information Commissioner’s Office also has lots of helpful information about legal basis for using personal data.

How can I check if my information is accurate before it's shared with O2?
To make sure your information's all there and accurate before we share it with O2, please sign in to your My Virgin Media account.

If you can't do this before we move you over to O2, you can review the information O2 has about you by signing in to My O2 using the username and password we text you.

Will switching my mobile service to O2 affect my data subject rights?
O2 will be the controller of the information they use about you to provide mobile services on our behalf. This means you can exercise your data subject rights in relation to the mobile service provided by O2 – by emailing O2 at dpo@o2.com

You can also find more information about how O2 uses your information in their privacy notice.

The Information Commissioner’s Office also has lots of helpful information about data subject rights.

Will O2 start sending me direct marketing after my mobile service switches to O2?
O2 will use the information about you that Virgin Media shares with us to provide you with mobile services on Virgin Media's behalf. This includes telling you about important things affecting your service, your contract or your O2 sim plan, and sending you bills.

If you receive direct marketing from us before moving over to O2, your marketing preferences won't be affected by the move.

If you're new to O2, we'll will only send you direct marketing if we have a separate legal basis to do it. For example, we might have a separate legitimate interest that doesn't require your consent.

You can check and update your O2 marketing preferences at any time.

If you've got any issues or questions relating to your move from Virgin Mobile to O2, that isn't covered in the above FAQ's, then please let us know in the comments below.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 1 of 56
55 REPLIES 55

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 36271 Posts
  • 233 Topics
  • 1604 Solutions

Very comprehensive, @Chris_K.

A couple of questions, related to discounts:

Screenshot_20230308-215759.png

How will the move affect calls from Virgin Media home phone to O2 numbers (whether PAYM or PAYG)?

2. With some VM discounts ending after the move, will migrated customers be able to avail of, eg, O2Open (if applicable) or other multi-line discounts offered by O2? Will such discounts be available immediately after the move to O2?

Questions, questions... 😉

Message 2 of 56

MPareek
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

When I switched over to O2 from virgin media, I was promised double the DATA, istead of 3GB regular data, it should have been 6 GB. But i have not yet upgraded to 6GB data pack. I just see 3 gb data on my O2 account. Is there an O2 service contact number to call? 

Message 3 of 56

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10253 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3016 Solutions

@MPareek 

See the response to your other post, and no need to double post. 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 4 of 56

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6713 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1494 Solutions

Virgin have told us of the changes to the Community when the two combine.

Will that be published here?

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 5 of 56

madasaf1sh
  • 10253 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3016 Solutions

What are they doing @Enlli 

And why is that forum now even more unusable... 

Message 6 of 56

Enlli
  • 6713 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1494 Solutions

@madasaf1sh wrote:

What are they doing @Enlli 

And why is that forum now even more unusable... 

Quite a long post in a private area but this in a nutshell

• The Virgin Media and O2 Communities will be merged at some point
  • The Virgin Media Community will be re-designed to look like the O2 Community
  • The O2 Community will introduce staff to answer account issues and moderation will be performed by staff
  • We’ll then look to merge both communities together and then move over to a new backend
This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 7 of 56

madasaf1sh
  • 10253 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3016 Solutions

It would be easier to just start afresh than merge and change things... 😞 

Message 8 of 56

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 36271 Posts
  • 233 Topics
  • 1604 Solutions

Interesting, @Enlli 

Both platforms are Khoros, as far as I can recall - not a regular user of the VM Community board. 

The price we pay for progress 🤔

And @madasaf1sh, yes, the cut-bait-and-run approach has its merits, set up a larger Khoros to accommodate both communities and migrate each entity into the new would be a better way to go, barring heavily-tailored functions in each.

Message 9 of 56

Enlli
  • 6713 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1494 Solutions

@pgn wrote:

Interesting, @Enlli 

Both platforms are Khoros, as far as I can recall - not a regular user of the VM Community board. 

The price we pay for progress 🤔

And @madasaf1sh, yes, the cut-bait-and-run approach has its merits, set up a larger Khoros to accommodate both communities and migrate each entity into the new would be a better way to go, barring heavily-tailored functions in each.

A bit more info

The community of the future – a combined Virgin Media and O2 Community

For the community we’re paying for 3 different contracts (💰), which we’d like to reduce to 1. This will likely result in a merging of the VM and O2 communities at some point down the line. Before this happens, we want to align the communities as closely as possible.

With this in mind, we’re happy to just renew the current VIP status for all existing VIPs until we merge.

Virgin Media Community re-design

As a starting point we’ve kicked off a VM community re-design using the same look and feel as O2. Both James and Kev done a great job keeping the community up to date using custom development, but the flip side of this has resulted in difficulties due to code constantly having to be maintained after platform updates.

As a result, we’ve taken the decision to follow the same path as O2 and to remove all custom components (sorry lads! 🙃) and transition to a Khoros out of the box skin. This will simplify our community by reducing the number of different page styles making it easier to get to grips with particularly for new users and lay the groundwork for a platform update discussed below. This means custom pages such as here and here will disappear as well as any custom code snippets.

By stripping the custom code, we can move to a new Khoros backend when it’s completed called Aurora that will give us customisation via a suite of components and colour combinations using drag & drop functionality and settings rather than code. And whilst we can’t fully customise it, the upside is that we can make changes with relatively little effort and the platform will always be fully up to date rather than having to worry about testing and updating custom code.

Message 10 of 56