Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't change my details in MyO2 as it sends sms to not one of my numbers

AndyT8
Level 1: Joiner
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I want to update my contact details in MyO2 and I click on my name and up pops a box saying enter the code we have just sent to  xxxxxxxx

However xxxxxxxx is not any one of my O2 numbers.  What is it doing ?   My account has my numbers correctly for my phones but it is not sending it to one of those.  How to I get past this blockage and get it to sms just any one of my registered sims.

Thanks

Message 1 of 16
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144188 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
Personally, I'd call 202 and not trust a word that live chat tells me for this issue.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AndyT8 I suggest to call customer service & see if they can help. It maybe are you putting in the numbers correctly 

https://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

Message 2 of 16

MI5
  • 144188 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
Have you tried logging out and back in again?
If using the app, try deleting and reinstalling it.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

I assume you are trying to access my O2 on the web. If you are able to download the myO2 app on the handsets that contain your Sim(s) then you should do that, as less authentication will be needed.

You can then try to work out which Sims are linked to which my O2 accounts by using your email address or other email addresses or resetting your username all from the app.

Once you have a coherent my O2 account, you can then access on the web and change details as required.

Message 4 of 16

AndyT8
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
yes tried logout and back in and no change . Then tried online chat and they said open a new account with a new email and move them all over. Pain in the **** but I guess it would work. No can't run apps on my phone but both of my numbers show up as registered.
Message 5 of 16

MI5
  • 144188 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
Personally, I'd call 202 and not trust a word that live chat tells me for this issue.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 16

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@AndyT8 As @MI5 says you are best to call 202 to get this sorted 

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 7 of 16

AndyT8
Level 1: Joiner
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for replies.  I have since spoke to support on the phone and they need to escalate it to the back office people - expect a fix in 3 to 4 days they tell me.  Their first suggestion was that I needed to go into one of their shops with ID to get it fixed.  I said that involved a 34mile round trip.  Then they agreed to escalate in house. We will see.

Luckily I kept a note of the security check mobile number and if I try and phone that one it is unavailable - so at least no one else will be able to use it to access my account.

Further searching online and I see I am by no means the first to have this problem - others reported that the old two factor security mobile number was their original one that changed when they ported in their favourite number to replace it.

Message 8 of 16

MI5
  • 144188 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
Indeed, system glitches are not uncommon.....

Currently using:
Message 9 of 16

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

So presumably the number you are seeing is the number of the original sim card that was used to port your number in. That does happen a lot and not just with O2. The same way that your phone reads that number too off the old sim and can't be altered unless you do it yourself by inserting the sim into a phone that allows changes. O2 have to do this originally so I'm guessing it is indeed a system error that should(?) be easy to sort out. Probably a legacy system....

Message 10 of 16