cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocking an O2 phone to use a different SIM card.

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144427 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

Please note: all new O2 devices are sold unlocked, so you just need to test a different SIM in the phone before you request unlocking. If it is indeed locked, then you can follow the rest of this guide.

Note also that since June 2018 it is completely free to unlock any O2 phone at anytime. slight_smile

Community_STS_PAC2.png
Community_STS_1.png Community_STS_2.png

If you want to use your O2 contract or PAYG phone with a SIM from another network, ie a local SIM when on holiday, you will need to release the network lock.

If you have a monthly contract it is free to get your phone unlocked......

Any phone can be unlocked (No exceptions).

The easiest way is by using the link found in your MyO2 Unlock (this assumes that it is the current phone you are using is the one you want to unlock)

If you want to unlock a phone you have stopped using, all you need to do is submit this form manual form taking care to enter the correct details. Pay attention in particular to the security question as this is the most common cause of failure.

PAYG as above.

If you have just purchased a PAYG phone which was previously supplied by O2, insert an O2 Simply PAYG SIM free sim and top up. Make a few calls to register the phone on the network then fill out the form as above manual form

Business users can also submit the form for a free unlock.

Once the form is submitted it can take upto 28 days to receive the unlock code but it is usually much quicker - Typically within 7 days.

You will receive the code with instructions on how to complete the process with your specific handset, but in general, you insert a non O2 SIM card and enter the code when prompted.

For iPhones you will not receive a code. Just replace the O2 sim with one from a different network once you receive notification that it is unlocked.

If the unlock fails first time, try connecting to iTunes to complete the process, but this is not required for every phone.

Note: Unlocking the phone does not relieve you of any contractual obligations. You still need to complete your minimum term as agreed.

Note for iPhones:

If you’ve already requested an unlock for your iPhone but you feel it hasn’t worked, try the following:

1) Insert a non-O2 SIM in the phone

2) Connect to Wi-Fi

3) Go to Settings > General > About, and enter your Apple ID and password, and you should be good to go.

If it’s still not working, please contact customer services on 202 or 4445 or post on the community so we can escalate the issue for you.

186 Comments
Bri67
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi I have an iPhone6 which is all paid up and I am trying to switch to Sky Mobile (which runs on 02 ) but O2 are making this difficult as they say it will take 1 week to unlatch ?? It’s rediculous ! 1 week just to use a phone that I own. Any ideas on how to speed this process up appreciated
Thanks
Bri67
  • 6 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi I have an iPhone6 which is all paid up and I am trying to switch to Sky Mobile (which runs on 02 ) but O2 are making this difficult as they say it will take 1 week to unlatch ?? It’s rediculous ! 1 week just to use a phone that I own. Any ideas on how to speed this process up appreciated
Thanks
MI5
  • 144427 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

One of our community team may be able to help you tomorrow.

@Marjo @EmilieT @Martin-O2

Bri67
  • 6 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks
unl02
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi I have an iPhone6 which is all paid up and I am trying to switch to another leading prodiver  but O2 are making this difficult as they say it will take 1 week to unlatch ?? It’s rediculous ! 1 week just to use a phone that I own. Any ideas on how to speed this process up appreciated
Thanks

MI5
  • 144427 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

Hi @unl02 if you have submitted the request, you would usually hear back after 72 hours. If this time has passed, send a message to @Marjo to see if she can escalate for you.

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey @Bri67@unl02 I'll drop you both a message about your unlocking issues. wink

Fonerage
  • 11 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I was told 24 to 48 hours to get a message to unlock my iPhone 7, I am going out of the uk for work on Friday evening. When I arrived in Belgium I would like to use my own local simcard in stead of my o2 sim.

As it’s already Friday now would I be better of me to paying for it to be unlocked elsewhere
jonsie
  • 93250 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

Have you tried another network sim?

If you have followed all the steps above, I'll mention @EmilieT to see if she can assist.

Bri67
  • 6 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi
Yes all sorted now no thanks to Opoo. No assistance whatsoever, I think it’s poor form on their side , I have moved to sky for a 50% discount and ironically still on O2 network 😳 why couldn’t they do that ???
Fonerage
  • 11 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I have tried the 3 other major service providers but not one simcard working
jonsie
  • 93250 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

@Fonerage

Check your messages tomorrow. You should get email notification.

Fonerage
  • 11 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I’ll be departing for Belgium @6:15 am today, will I be better off getting a factory unlock phone to use in the mean time? Or have more faith in o2?

Why does it take so long to unlock a phone that is been on the network for over 18 months
jonsie
  • 93250 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

If that's the case then maybe you should be thinking about getting an unlocked phone. However, @EmilieT has been known to get surprisingly quick results though you need to be prepared for any eventualities. Myself? I would be taking a backup, funds permitting.

Fonerage
  • 11 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Okay well thanks a lot o2, maybe time to check out what the other service provider are offering.
jonsie
  • 93250 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

....and not a single person on here would blame you. Don't let O2 spoil your time in Belgium. Safe journey mate.

Fonerage
  • 11 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Now I need to go hunting for a unlocked smart phone. I could have paid to get it unlocked, Now I’ll be paying for waiting on o2 to unlock my belonging
jonsie
  • 93250 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

Good hunting!

Presumably you mean you are going Saturday and not today.

Fonerage
  • 11 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
No I am already at Brussels airport but at the moment I can only use free WiFi to and what’s app that contact my clients. Thanks o2 great service
Fonerage
  • 11 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
No unlock no email or text
Fonerage
  • 11 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
After 8 days of waiting for the unlock from o2, I have now been tool I need to request to I lock once more then waiting 72 hours great. Because I been waiting over 7 days and now I am on my holiday with a phone that is lock to o2 but I own the phone not o2. Madness
Bri67
  • 6 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I suggest a note all members of this forum plus anyone else to request the unlocking of their phone whether they are intending to leave o2 or not, it will stop o2 holding people’s own phones stuck on their network, they can then leave at their own will if they want to
Unlockme
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have been trying to unlock my O2 business mobile from O2 for over 2 weeks. I've been told on several occassions that it is unlocked but it is still locked.

I've restored factory setting and connected via iTune

I've been on chat / phone to O2 and Apple, both of whom have escalated it but it still isn't working. O2 says it is unlocked - Apple say it isn't!!!

What do I do??

Please help

@Marjo @EmilieT @Martin-O2

Fonerage
  • 11 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Spoke to o2 today and they said only the previous owner can request the unlocked
Fonerage
  • 11 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
O2 claim I need the first Apple ID connection to the phone to get it unlocked
Fonerage
  • 11 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I was told today by o2 customer service. That u will need the Apple ID user to active the phone to unlock it
starry
  • 12 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I bought a huawei p smart 21/11/18 , its now 1/12/18 ,4 phone calls to o2 , received 2 emails telling me it will take 10 days . On last call i was told it would be escaleted and should not take this long . Getting very frustrated as work in ROI and want to swap sims when away . ps o2 customer 20+ years with 3 contract phones all family .

starry
  • 12 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I bought a huawei p smart 21/11/18 , its now 1/12/18 ,4 phone calls to o2 , received 2 emails telling me it will take 10 days . On last call i was told it would be escaleted and should not take this long . Getting very frustrated as work in ROI and want to swap sims when away . ps o2 customer 20+ years with 3 contract phones all family .

MI5
  • 144427 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

Have you actually tried a different sim @starry as the phone should be unlocked already?

starry
  • 12 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

yep " unlock or dismiss" ,working with my contract o2 sim now to see if it helps .

starry
  • 12 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

II was told by the o2 shop Manager that they do NOT sell unlocked phones yet as it is not law????

MI5
  • 144427 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

No matter what the law is, it's O2 policy for quite sometime now and the shops have no say in it.

Anyway, with regards to unlocking, you do need to use it on O2 then just request the unlock through the link in your MyO2.

I did one last Saturday and it took less than 30 mins to get confirmation of unlock back.

starry
  • 12 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Cheers MI5 , I will try the online form now , ps must admitt all call centre staff were very pleasent and shop staff aswell , hence the 20+ years of loyalty,

MI5
  • 144427 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

Good to hear.

Best of luck with it mate.

starry
  • 12 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Same e-mail today again , we can not not provide unlatching code been requested from manufacturer can take 10 days . is this 10 days from i bought the phone and 1st requested or 10 days after each e-mail . getting very fustrated now and just getting told we will escalate.

MI5
  • 144427 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

It's 10 days from request but usually quicker than that.

B52
  • 20 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
starry..I,m the same.. bought Huawei p smart from O2 asked if was unlocked..said yes..but it's not.Have been trying since 13th Nov to get unlocked..Fed up phoning customer services..whom were supposed tobe phoning me saturday...as spoke to a very helpful man on Friday..So frustrating..02 customer
starry
  • 12 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

B52 . I feel your pain got a lovely lady on phone on friday and promised to ring me on monday , i'm not holding my breath .. maybe its something to do with the canadians aressting the top woman from Huawei , she is the only one with the codes .......

B52
  • 20 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi.. Starry..any phone calls or messages re unlatching/unlocking yet..
starry
  • 12 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

B52 no calls and usual email

We don't have code for this one in our database & We have already
requested this from the manufacturer usually the codes when requested
comeback by next day, however these days we are facing some delays form
their end.

I'll have this requested & pass it on to you as soon as we get the code
back.

AndyMitchellUK
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Good morning all.
Anyone here able to help with an unlock of a Sony Xperia XZ?
I topped up an o2 sim on Saturday 1st and went through the unlock steps but still no code or any communication as of today.
MI5
  • 144427 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

@AndyMitchellUK 

You'll have to chase it up with customer services but I suspect last week's network issues may be delaying some things currently.

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12073 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions

I'm going to ask a really daft question @B52 @starry @AndyMitchellUK have you tried a non-o2 sim in the phone?

o2 have sold unlocked phones for a couple of months now, so unless you have an old stock one it might already be done.

If you got your phone from somewhere else (Carphone Warehouse for instance) then it also might be unlocked.

B52
  • 20 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi..gmark.. thanks..My Huawei p smart bought from 02 store in Dundee..on 9/11/18.. definitely must have been old stock. Have tried another Sim.. definitely locked..I seem to be getting no where! With unlocking.. hopefully..Marjo..will HELP.. Many thanks..So frustrating!
gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12073 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions

Have you been in contact with @Marjo then @B52 - by PM (private message)?

AndyMitchellUK
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I have tried my Virgin sim and it is definitely locked. Just waiting on a reply from CS now. If I don't get anything back by end of day I may just pm one of the above for help 👍
AnthonyC_16
  • 11 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Anonymous did you get this sorted? I'm having the same problem and currently going through a complaints process which I can tell won't get me anywhere because of the competency of the o2 staff experienced so far so I can expect I'll have to go to the ombudsman.  

I would much prefer o2 just unlatch it.  Anywho, did you get it sorted and if so, how? Please.  Thanks, Ant. 

MI5
  • 144427 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
@AnthonyC_16 check your private messages.
Bri67
  • 6 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi Anthony
I see you have PMd me but I cannot read it please can you reply here
AnthonyC_16
  • 11 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Bri67 Hi I haven't PM'd you?  Probably just another o2 glitch. Sorry for any inconvenience