cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM Swap: a mini guide (incl eSim)

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is just a quick help guide for people who want advice on doing a SIM swap.

Do I Need To Swap my SIM?

If it's your first contract with O2 then you will be provided with a new SIM card and number with your shiny new phone. A SIM card is sent with 3 size options so you can pick the correct size to fit your device:

1. Standard size SIM
  2. Micro SIM
  3. Nano SIM (common in most new phones)

You just need to break out what size you require. It is detailed on the card what area you need to break out for what size. A recommendation is to do it carefully as breaking out the Nano when a Mirco SIM is needed will require a whole new SIM to be sent.

You'll need to perform a SIM swap most times if you're upgrading to a new tariff. This is to have an updated network such as 4G available when it's rolled out in your area. You can set up your new SIM card to have 4G at www.o2.co.uk/4G/setup

Note that there is no number attached to a replacement Pay Monthly SIM card, it is blank.

Note also that if you're changing phones/upgrading, sometimes there is no need to do a SIM swap if your old SIM fits the new phone.

How Do You Do The SIM Swap?

You have the following options:

By text:

Text the word SWAP to 20220 from your O2 phone. You will get step by step instructions via text message.

Note that if you're texting 'Swap' to 20220 to activate the SIM this needs to be sent from the old SIM only, the new SIM won’t be active to enable this.

Via My O2:

SIM swaps can now also be actioned via your My O2 app. You’ll find an option of ‘Swap your SIM’ under ‘Manage your account’. You’ll need to re-enter your My O2 username and password, you’ll then be sent a verification code via text to your phone. Once this has been confirmed you can enter your new SIM info and this will be swapped within 24hrs.

At an O2 store:

You can visit your local O2 shop & they will do it for you. 

Please note: You'll need to bring ID to complete the process in-store.

You will know when is done because your old SIM will not work but your new one will be up and running. If you do it in store you are more likely to be up and running with your new SIM card before you even leave the shop. The process could take up to 24 hours to complete. Keep turning your phone on and off until the new SIM card is active.

When you do the SIM swap only your tariff or credit will transfer along with your phone number. Nothing that is stored on your SIM will transfer across.

If you don’t have an active SIM to do either of the above, you’ll need to call customer services to activate it. Please be aware they can only activate SIMs that have been ordered off your account for security reasons.

If you Change your phone

If the SIM card isn't the right size then you can either do a SIM swap or pop into your local O2 store and get an adapter to put your current SIM in.

As mentioned above, if you're changing to another phone/upgrading, there might not always be a need to do a SIM swap if your old SIM fits the new phone.

If you have a faulty SIM

If your old SIM does not work and you can't access the text to start the swap then you need to contact customer service.

And what about eSim?

Can I just scan the QR code in the eSIM pack from a new phone or do I need a new QR code?

To activate the eSIM you'd scan the QR code from the eSIM pack from the existing phone number that you want to activate it against.

How do I get a new eSIM pack?

You can get an eSIM pack from an O2 store or by contacting customer services.

Do I need a physical eSIM pack or can it be done electronically?

Yes, you need a physical eSIM pack.

Do I need a new eSIM to enable 5g?

No, 5G is a separate provisioning on the account. You can request a 4G or 5G eSIM pack

70 Comments
Maureenj
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks for the help. it's a second phone on my account and my wife was with another network so it's a whole new contract
DG1530
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks cleoriff ,phone not turned up yet  but I’ll follow you advice and hopefully I don’t mess it up  LOL. 👌

RichardEric
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Just swopped my O2 sim. You must activate your new sim BEFORE swopping out the old sim in your phone. Otherwise will can't get the security text message with the 6 digit code needed to activate the new sim.  Discovered this the hard way. O2 should improve their documentation.

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 37307 Posts
  • 239 Topics
  • 1700 Solutions

Hi @RichardEric - if you are referring to the documentation at the top of this page, in this guide, it does say to use the old SIM for the SIM swap SMS - the guide was written by a Community Forum member, not by O2:

Screenshot_20211109-164018.png

Glad you figured it out 👍

Welcome to the forum 😉

Herman
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I am sending with my old number to 20220 but is shows Not sent, tap to try again.

Any reason for this?

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 147230 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28300 Solutions

@Herman 

You need to send from your old sim.

AlastairH
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Just a silly question, say i am changing plastic sim number 079XXXX for e-sim with same number, does the plastic sim stay in the phone while scanning the Q-Code or does it have to be taken out the phone first?  Does the e-sim know the number belonging to it?

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 147230 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28300 Solutions

@AlastairH 

The eSim has no idea what number is to be allocated to it until the transfer is complete.

Leave the physical sim in the phone until it turns off.

After that, the process has started and you need to reboot until the eSim comes online.

TOPAS
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Where is the warning that O2 prevent you making calls pending delivery of new sim.  I was cut off mid call.

pgn
  • 37307 Posts
  • 239 Topics
  • 1700 Solutions

@TOPAS - I have seen this mentioned in one of the guides, and had it happen to me (thankfully, with a new SIM and phone in my hand as I had just upgraded in-store!) - If you message O2 on Facebook (https://o2uk.co/O2CFB) , Twitter (https://o2uk.co/O2CTW) or Instagram (https://o2uk.co/O2CIG) , they should be able to help you with this.

Daymo7
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi. I called o2 customer services to swap my sim over to another phone. The swap was also to an esim. They advised that once the order is put through my line network will disconnect on the old phone which It has. I was then advised to log into my o2 on my new phone where there will be a banner. I should click on this and follow the instructions. I’ve done this but there’s no banner and the order was placed about 2 hours ago? Any thoughts?

pgn
  • 37307 Posts
  • 239 Topics
  • 1700 Solutions

Just to say a SIM Swap, from a 4-year-old Contract 4G SIM to a fresh Contract 5G SIM card worked flawlessly using the MyO2 route described above.

Service transferred from the old SIM, which I had in the new 5G-capable phone, to the new SIM in the old 4G-only phone, within 5minutes.

2 power-offs, one paper clip and two SIM ejections and insertions later, the SIMs were physically swapped from old phone to new and vv.

Screenshot_20230116-115512.png

Now if only 5G was available on O2 where I work or where I live... 🤔

jasonbrown2507
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I ordered my esim pack yesterday about lunchtime.

From yesterday afternoon I've had no signal at all just the "!"

The network in the area tested/is fine, could this be because of the esim pack coming in the post or something else?

pgn
  • 37307 Posts
  • 239 Topics
  • 1700 Solutions

@jasonbrown2507 Seems O2's standard process has changed in recent times to "Disable existing SIM as soon as replacement SIM is sent out" - tagging @O2Ryan the O2 Forum Advisor on this morning to see if they can get you back online.  Meantime, have you checked your MyO2 online https://mymobile.o2.co.uk/ to see if this can be provisioned online now with your account - some accounts on the new billing system canb do this without needing the eSIM pak etc. Good luck!

O2Ryan
Former Staff
  • 146 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

thanks for the tag ill send a private message over now.

AFish
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi.

I'm trying to order a new plan, I'm new to O2 (moving from EE, because of o2 Volt benefits), I don't really want home delivery with a physical SIM as that's a wate of both paper and plastic. Can I just get an eSIM rather than getting "Home delivery"

Esims are not only quicker, much easier to get and is done near instantly

pgn
  • 37307 Posts
  • 239 Topics
  • 1700 Solutions

This needs updating to change 4G to 5G and to add in the MyO2 way to achieve this:

20919.png

Any possibility, @Breanna?

HotCrossGuns
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Ordered an esim 7am this morning to replace my existing as I only have a 4g physical SIM currently. Bit silly that it immediately cuts your network access off so you can't then phone up if it's not working.

I clicked to install the esim but nothing seems to have happened,and it's been longer than the 1 hour wait time advised.

The FAQ section here https://www.o2.co.uk/help/device-and-sim-support/esim really needs updating, as most of the answers, including ones relevant to my issue, just say "We’re making some improvements to our systems and you may notice some changes once this is complete. We may ask you to provide your phone number so that we can help you access the most relevant support content."

I have no way of knowing if it's in progress or if I need to do something else.

Thanks in advance for any help 

HotCrossGuns
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Realised the problem I was having was this page was only ever giving me the option to request a new esim, rather than installing the one I had. Even though I'd selected it via tickbox

1000003119.jpg

After many many refreshes and trying on my phone and laptop via different browsers it eventually gave me the install esim profile option.

All sorted now, but I do think this process should be a bit smoother/simpler...

jimthing0
Level 8: Talented
  • 412 Posts
  • 23 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

@Dave-O2@Chris_K@ColinO2 

Is this guide below relevant just for non-360 users then? 

Do I understand it correctly that users on the new 360 system are additionally offered an in-app/website way of moving eSims between devices now then? 

[Guide] eSim from iPhone-to-iPhone: Sep 2023 method

TIA