cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Security Protection for O2 customers??

Anonymous
Not applicable
WHY WHY WHY?? did O2 not ask for security details from customers who pay for Prepay top up?? Reason i ask is that iam the unfortunate customer who had their Debit card details copied by Scum that used it to buy £30 worth of credit from O2. I have had to cancel my bank cards and get the Banks Fraud Dept to investigate Un authorised payments that O2 allowed to go through. now iam out of pocket by £30 thanks to O2 taking payment and not CHECKING to make sure that the card was geniune and i mean that O2 could have asked security questions relating to the card ie security number from the card or password / date of birth from the card holder. WHY don't O2 do this to protect their customers????????
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well it seems that i started a wide topic of conversation relating to fraululent activity on O2 and in particular Top Up from O2 Headquarters in Slough???? :robotindifferent:
It seems to me that both Andy Manchester & Sheepdog are very well Informed with regards this problem, and as they have Reminded everyone time & again that we Must be careful with our Personal Details.
I finally got this O2 Scam sorted with my Bank after being told by the Banks Fraud Dept that O2 are well aware that this is happening to Everyone but there's nothing O2 are doing about it, Well howabout Security Investigations into Their Headquarters in Slough? That would be a start as that is where ALL the transactions are being made, Perhaps a check on their Staff maybe? as with all Investigations in the begining they all start with insiders?And that eventually with proof/evidence, leads to criminal proceedings.
I would be interested if O2 has considered taking this next step?
What say you Andy Manchester & Sheepdog?? :womanindifferent:

So has your bank given you the money back then? You are generally not personally liable for fraudulent transactions, unless the bank can prove negligence on your part. Your bank should be able to recover the funds via chargeback.

Banks are terribly slippery beings - I had £400 of transactions on my card after it was stolen, despite calling HSBC to stop the card immediately. HSBC denied all knowledge of my call to cancel, even claiming that they couldn't find a recording of the call - this 'lost' recording then mysteriously re-appeared after I found a phone bill and threatened legal action... If your bank is treating you like muck over this, move to a different one. It's not hard.

Out of interest - do you have kids? It's not unknown for kids to 'borrow' their parents cards to top up their phones. And they will, of course, know your date of birth, address, etc etc...
Message 11 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm not surprised at the attitude of either the banks or O2.

They will always come from the 'It is you fault' angle, because once they admit the slightest chink in their systems they become liable. You have really got to prove your innocense.

To support the final statements of the last post, BBC had a report on how much fraud is commited by your kiddies. Linked to that is fraud by friends. One of my brother's then-friends swooped his card details when he came round to his house ... Took about 30 seconds to get the cars details, combined with what he knew about him.

It is amazing how 'easy' it is to get the info!
Message 12 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Firstly, the top-ups are NOT being done at O2 Headquarters in Slough. (Do you really think they're that stupid?) As the above mentioned name suggests, it's O2's head office and that is where all top-ups are processed.

Simple matter is that O2 do all the necessary checks they can do. Fair enough, as an O2 customer, they may have your DOB on record but what if you're topping up someone elses phone? What if the person doing the top-up is not even an O2 customer? How would the DOB be verified?

When a top-up is done, the card holders house/flat number and postal code numerics are required as well as the standard card number, exp date, etc. This is something that EVERY card holder is guaranteed to have. This will then be checked with the card issuers and only when they ok all this information, would the top-up succeed.

Let's say they do implement DOB verification. We've already established that the fraudsters would need your house number and post code numerics; What's to say that they don't know your DOB? Now, it's taken you that little bit longer to top up, your margin for error has increased yet your card has been compromised again.

To reiterate what others have said, your card, your responsibility.
Message 13 of 13