cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Warranty claim rejected due to liquid damage

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi - has anyone on here had a problem with O2 rejecting a warranty claim due to liquid damage? My Nexus 4 recently stopped working inexplicably. I put it on charge and came back to it a couple of hours later and it was dead - solid red light and no response. Previously I had no problems at all.

I sent the device to O2 and they sent it back saying it had liquid damage and was not covered under warranty. I am extremely annoyed as I took great care of this phone. It has never been dropped in water or taken into the bathroom, used in the rain etc.

Does anyone know if normal atmospheric changes, i.e. taking phone from a cold to warm environment, can trigger the liquid indicators?

Thanks
Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 146944 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28263 Solutions
A temp change or sweating should not trip ALL the water indicators on the phone (there are more than one for this very reason).
If all are tripped then the phone has clearly been for a bath !!
The most common one is in the headphone socket (gets wet if using phone in the rain) but this action should not trip all the others.
For the warranty to be rejected for water damage ALL the indicators need to have been tripped, if not, the warranty is still valid.
Anova are notorious for rejecting warranty for this reason and try to use it as a money spinner (search Google for the bigger picture).
It has also been proved on here a few times before so get the phone back and get an official LG service centre to look at it and ask for a report that you can then use to escalate your issue within O2 (as a matter of principle).
LG will likely repair your phone if warranty is still valid so just collect the info together for your complaint.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 3 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi.

Yes there are a few threads in the forum with similar stories where 02 repairs have reported back liquid damage.

If you Perform a search using the search facility to bring them up.

It is not always direct liquid impression. ie rain or water immersion.

Sudden change in temperature or humid conditions or simply the phone in a pocket can make the phone 'sweat' causing the indicators to trip.

However I would suggest you now approach the phone manufacturer and ask them to check the phone for the initial problem.

If they say the indicators are tripped them you may need to check any insurance from household or bank account to see if your covered.

Lg support link.

http://m.lg.com/uk/support

On a side note if they report that the indicators are not tripped then you have grounds for investigation with O2 if you so wish.
Message 2 of 8

MI5
  • 146944 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28263 Solutions
A temp change or sweating should not trip ALL the water indicators on the phone (there are more than one for this very reason).
If all are tripped then the phone has clearly been for a bath !!
The most common one is in the headphone socket (gets wet if using phone in the rain) but this action should not trip all the others.
For the warranty to be rejected for water damage ALL the indicators need to have been tripped, if not, the warranty is still valid.
Anova are notorious for rejecting warranty for this reason and try to use it as a money spinner (search Google for the bigger picture).
It has also been proved on here a few times before so get the phone back and get an official LG service centre to look at it and ask for a report that you can then use to escalate your issue within O2 (as a matter of principle).
LG will likely repair your phone if warranty is still valid so just collect the info together for your complaint.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 3 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks both for the advice - I'll check the indicators
Message 4 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
You're welcome.

Hope you get a reasonable outcome.

Do let us know.

As a point of interest ; not too long ago apple was challenged on its moisture indicators when it was found that a batch were found to be faulty.
Message 5 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
By way of update, I checked the indicators inside the Nexus and at worst they are very slightly off white. Do they turn red when exposed to moisture?

I contacted O2 again and they have agreed to take another look at the phone.

I'll let you know how it goes!
Message 6 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for updating your thread.

Will be interesting to see the end result on this for you.
Message 7 of 8

MI5
  • 146944 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28263 Solutions
All the ones I have seen have turned red.
Message 8 of 8