cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

View count of community posts

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

The view count of posts are not proper. If I see a thread and go back to it again, then it increments the count. Is it right ?

Keep an eye on the view count of this post Smiley Very Happy

JK

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

correct not unique visitors but views

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 2 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
A minimum time delay should be there. Isn't it ?
Message 3 of 14

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

only toby or leonard could answer that

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 4 of 14

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Hi jkcool.

I shall look into this for you. It is generally every time a page is reloaded that a new view is counted, if that makes sense.

What sort of time delay would you add if it was your decision? I'd love to hear your view as you make a good point slight_smile

Toby
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 5 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Toby,

I would say the idea behind 'View Count' is to know how many people looked at the main thread. Consider that I need a help with an issue. I will create a new post and will go back and see there are any replies. If no replies, I will certainly look at the view count to see how many people looked at it. If too many views and no replies then it means that very few people can give advice or the post did not make any sense.

Currently what's happening is, if the OP goes back to the post or refreshes the page. The view count increases. It gives a false sense that people are viewing it but no one is responding to it.

What should be there in my opinion ?

It is sort of a unique visitors but not exactly the unique no. of visitors to the entire thread post. Because, consider the case when a new message is posted.  And 10 unique people visited the original post. If the view count is maintained as 10 ( irrespective of multiple visits) it is fine. Now, a new reply is posted then if again those 10 guys visits the thread then the view count should be 20 now. Because they viewed something new. In a sense it the unique count of unique view.  Does it make sense ? I have seen such view counts in other forums.

Ways to implement the above thing :

Maintain the unique visitors of individual posts ( that is the message id under a post) and then sum it up to show the view count.

If it is difficult to implement, then a small delay ( 30-60 sec) can make this situation better.

JK

Message 6 of 14

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Great reply JK, you've raised some good ideas.

I'll look into this, as your methods of recording views would be very useful for analyzing the effectiveness of wording and as you say, whether perhaps a member needs to provide more info to those willing to help.

Don't hesitate to give me any other suggestions you have.

Cheers!
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 7 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

I had the same thought too. Cant we have a a view counter, bit like a website hits counter

Message 8 of 14

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Good idea. Makes a lot of sense.

That's all the input I've got.
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 9 of 14

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I had the same thought too. Cant we have a a view counter, bit like a website hits counter

There is one in each section.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 10 of 14