cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Victim of identity theft, left in the dark.

EthanCCBrown
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi all,

I was the victim of identity theft back in March 2023. The thiefs took out three credit agreements with O2, Tesco and Very.

Mistaking the default notice letters for a phishing scam, I ignored. When they kept coming I made contact with all three companies. Luckily for me, Tesco and Very closed the accounts straight away. Very even made efforts to make sure it didn't happen again.

Now, the main point. O2 closed the accounts, but I never recieved written confirmation. July comes around and Lowell send me an email. They have acquired the debt owed to O2 and are now in charge of acquiring the debt from me. 

This is obviously not very fun. Along with the effect on my credit score not allowing me to rent a property, it is also just very stressful.
I contacted Lowell straight away with the situation. They listened, and agreed to pause any debt owed to them for one month so I could acquire confirmation that the accounts were fraudulent. I contact O2, after another long call, they confirm that it is escalated and I will recieve a call within 48 hours and an email.

That didn't happen. A whole month, I waited. Unfortunately trusting O2 that they will come through and send the letter.

It is August now and I have recieved another letter, the month has passed and they have unpaused their debt collection. 

I have called O2, they person on the phone was absolutely lovely but the the outcome was the same. 48 hours and an email.

Here is hoping they can sort it. 

Please.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144950 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27778 Solutions

@EthanCCBrown 

All you can do is keep persevering with O2 I'm afraid.

It should also be reported to action fraud. Contact Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 4

EthanCCBrown
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks!

Great advice, went there straight away and cancelled anything in my Credit Score.

Hopefully can be resolved.

Message 3 of 4

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144950 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27778 Solutions

Best of luck @EthanCCBrown 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 4