cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terrible 5G Connection, Customer Support Garbage - AVOID!

shaynzka
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi

After initially signing a new contract that was satisfactory for a few months, I upgraded to an unlimited 5G data plan. However, I experienced frequent drops in my 5G connection, resulting in days without internet access. Furthermore, from January 28th to 29th, I faced complete unavailability of 5G data, only being able to utilize voice and text services. I tested the SIM card in another phone and encountered the same issue of not being able to connect to 5G network.

I reached out to customer support to express my dissatisfaction, stating that the current situation was unacceptable. I requested to revert to my previous SIM plan, only to be informed that it could not be done without settling the remaining balance on the device plan, despite originally upgrading from the previous plan. I filed a complaint on 29th Jan, but I still haven't received any response up to now.

Today, the issue persists where the data randomly stops working, causing a delay in receiving notifications. Additionally, the Chrome browser is only displaying a blank page saying no internet connection. Once the notifications start to come through, all the missed ones come flooding in at once, indicating that the 5G signal has returned. Today, I contacted customer support to inquire about an update on my complaint, only to find out that no one has addressed the issue yet. I rolled back to my previous SIM plan.

I wasn't even offered any reimbursement for the terrible 5G connectivity. I would like to cancel the SIM plan but I will continue paying off the device plan monthly. I plan to switch to a different network provider for data since I heavily rely on it. I will patiently await an update on the complaint, and should it remain unresolved, I will proceed to request a deadlock letter and escalate the issue to the Ombudsman for further resolution.

Stay away from joining O2 at all costs!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Unfortunately your plan is flawed

You cannot change network for data without paying the device plan off in full

Message 2 of 8

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6649 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1493 Solutions

So, if your old SIM works, which I am assuming runs of 4G, then either your new SIM is faulty or there is a problem with 5G reception. 

On the coverage checker are you on the edge of a 5G area. It maybe your phone is only connecting to the uplink which will be a local 4G mast but it will still show 5G on the phone.

Leave your 5G SIM in the phone and switch off 5G in your network types.

If you then still have problems call into an O2 store with Photo ID and get a replacement SIM

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 3 of 8

Oxonian
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 5874 Posts
  • 101 Topics
  • 22 Solutions

@shaynzka 

Complaints are currently taking O2 eight weeks to address and respond to. And in the absence of a response to your complaint, you have to wait 56 days before you can refer to the Ombudsman as O2 are entitled to that time to investigate and respond. 👍 

Message 4 of 8

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10220 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3013 Solutions

@shaynzka 

Lets be clear here, you dont pay for a 5G connection you pay for a mobile connection.. and that can be 2G, 3G or 4G or even 5G... 

Did you read your terms and conditions or just click agree blindly, as no UK network guarantees coverage or 100% service uptime... and it seems you didnt read where the airtime and device plans are linked... 

Have you requested a new sim?? 

Have you checked the service status https://status.o2.co.uk 

You need to  pay off the device plan and then you can cancel the airtime... that is your only option... 

And the ombudsman will probably find against you....

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 5 of 8

shaynzka
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I understand but I fail to see the reason behind paying for an unlimited SIM plan that fails to function properly. Despite O2 customer service neglecting to compensate for the downtimes, my plan is to visit the O2 store on Monday to request a replacement SIM. However, I do not believe the issue lies with the SIM itself but rather with the network, as I have encountered continuous data connection problems. 

I am currently using (temp) a Lyca Mobile SIM card that operates on the EE network. I have experienced no delays in receiving notifications, there have been no network drops, and the speeds on 5G are significantly better than those on O2.

Message 6 of 8

shaynzka
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I will patiently await their reply.

Message 7 of 8

Oxonian
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 5874 Posts
  • 101 Topics
  • 22 Solutions

OK @shaynzka, but it might not be what you want to read - please see the thoughts of @madasaf1sh above. 

Please keep us informed of developments. 👍 

Message 8 of 8