Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Fraud team apparently doing nothing

Roblt
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

So in May I was the victim of fraud with a scammer managing to take out a total of three contracts across two new numbers and one handset all in my name.  The first I knew about this was receiving direct debit confirmations from O2; first of all I’m shocked someone was able to do this without confirming identities etc.  I reported this to both action fraud (I have a crime number) and to O2 on the 12th May at which point I’m told it had been raised with the fraud team and I’d be contacted within 3-5 days; it’s now been 38days!  So in that time I’ve had nothing from the fraud team, I’ve chased O2 several times through customer services and gotten nowhere and twice been promised call backs from a manger within 48 hours though had absolutely nothing on this.  So what have I had from O2? Two lots of letters (the latest arriving over the weekend) demanding payment and threatening action if this doesn’t happen.  So once again customer services acknowledge the fraud is under investigation but have no idea what’s happening beyond that and have no way of pausing the payment demands.  

At this stage it seems O2 will push ahead with their threats and try to charge me the full contract fees, wreck my credit score and then set debt collectors onto me.  I’m totally at my wits end here getting nowhere with customer services, unable to contact the fraud team or get any kind of call back from anyone in a position to help.

unfortunately from the messages on this community this terrible response seems all too common.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

Oxonian
Level 29: Intuitive
  • 6137 Posts
  • 107 Topics
  • 22 Solutions

@TJC86 

it is quite possible that the fraud team cannot tell you anything if their investigation is ongoing. Both criminal law and money laundering regulations can prevent them from telling anyone what is going on. The scale of some of the scams with folks impersonating O2 has been widely covered on BBC TV and in the national press recently and does give an idea of the possible complexity of a fraud investigation. 

Nevertheless, if your issue has been ongoing since July, I suggest that you consider a complaint :-

How to Complain | Help | O2

https://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain

Customer+Complaints+code+250523.pdf (o2.co.uk)

https://www.o2.co.uk/documents/456036/4246828/Customer+Complaints+code+250523.pdf

I suggest that you focus your complaint on the total lack of communications and the passing of the debt to a recovery firm. 

Please keep us updated on developments. 

Message 11 of 11