Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dispatch Unit pretending to be O2

Tonyw99
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I've had several calls from "The Dispatch Unit" who gave me the impression that they were part of O2, wanting to talk about my contract.  Firstly, they aren't O2 and it seems fraudulent for them to pretend that they are.  Are O2 aware of their shady activities and what is being done about it?

Secondly, how do they have my information?  Particularly information about the contract I'm currently on?  I would expect only O2 to know what contract I'm on so I am forced to assume they O2 has sold that information.  What other information about me has O2 sold?

Message 1 of 18
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Carphone Warehouse are a legitimate trading partner with O2 and they have a number of sub-companies who they use to telemarket.  if one of these companies called you then its legit.

Message 13 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

You get a call from a company that is clearly not O2 and you assume your information was sold to them by O2?

There might be some logic in there somewhere but I can't see it.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 2 of 18

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Hi Tony,

Send me a PM about this, and I'll pass on the details to the team who can investigate if there is evidence to suggest it was fraudulent.

Thanks

Cheers
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 3 of 18

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@toby see some info here http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/07891260280

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 4 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Tonyw99 wrote:

I've had several calls from "The Dispatch Unit" who gave me the impression that they were part of O2, wanting to talk about my contract.  Firstly, they aren't O2 and it seems fraudulent for them to pretend that they are.  Are O2 aware of their shady activities and what is being done about it?

Secondly, how do they have my information?  Particularly information about the contract I'm currently on?  I would expect only O2 to know what contract I'm on so I am forced to assume they O2 has sold that information.  What other information about me has O2 sold?

They probably guessed about your contract as I'm guessing they won't be allowed access to your account

Message 5 of 18

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

A quick Google search shows it as a non-trading company in Manchester with one shareholder.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 6 of 18

Tonyw99
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

The issue was that the knew what tariff I'm on, which I hope was just a good guess on their part.

I've done some digging and they appear to be part of Carphone Warehouse and I've never had any dealings with them.  I've always bought direct from O2.

Message 7 of 18

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Thanks for that Adam
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 8 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Tonyw99 wrote:

The issue was that the knew what tariff I'm on, which I hope was just a good guess on their part.

I've done some digging and they appear to be part of Carphone Warehouse and I've never had any dealings with them.  I've always bought direct from O2.

Hmmm, who is a selling partner for O2? 

Message 9 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Tonyw99 wrote:

They probably guessed about your contract as I'm guessing they won't be allowed access to your account

They Guessed? How many contract options are there on O2??

Message 10 of 18