cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2g/3g problem

Anonymous
Not applicable
hi all,
i live in nottingham where i get pretty much 100% 3g coverage.
for the past few days i have been travelling out to rural lincolnshire which only has 2g.
the problem is that my motorola defy when set to auto 2g/3g will not switch to 2g - it just says 'emergency calls only' it still can't get any signal when set to 2g only.
i know the area i'm in gets perfect 2g o2 signal, as my sister and brother-in-law are on the same network and both have full bars showing on their phones.
this is not confined to one location either, it's the same until i get back closer to nottingham where i can receive both 2g & 3g.
i guess it's not the network as other phones have no problem getting reception.
any ideas gratefully received!
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
Long shot speculative reply I'm afraid, but is it a phone that was previosly locked to 3? They are a 3G only network so most, if not all, of their own bespoke handsets have no 2g capability at all?
Message 2 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
it was originally locked to t-mobile.
in other places i can set it to 2g only and get reception.
Message 3 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
In that case I am stumped. I was also going to suggest a sim fault but if it works elsewhere it can't be that and if other O2 phones work where yours won't it can't be the network.
Message 4 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
As someone who lives in rural Lincolnshire I can tell you that it is a combination of phone and network. The signal occasionally drops out completely. I've had four bars in the Living Room and No Signsl in the kitchen 20 seconds later. I have also had no signal when my wife has had nearly a full signal when we are in the same room but with different phones.
Firstly may I point out that O2's 3g signal in Lincolnshire is non existant outside the major towns (Grimsby, Lincoln, Scunthorpe, Boston, Skegness) except for a very small area in Ingoldmells and Humberside Airport. The 2g signal is non existant for parts of the coast (espcially between Mablethorpe and Cleethorpes) and for large parts of the Wolds. When the area first got mobile phones everyone had a Nokia and O2 had the strongest signal. My wife has stayed loyal to Nokia and O2 and has had very few problems with coverage, myself and the children have moved onto other phones (LG, Sony Ericsson etc.) and have had far more problems.
Finally I have to add that other companies have overtaken O2 when it comes to signal. You can get areasonably good 3g signal around most of the county with both Orange and T-Mobile and Vodafone isn't too bad.
My only advice would be to maybe get a Nokia just for your trips to Lincs. The only other option is semaphore.
Message 5 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
thanks for the advice.
it's a real pain as my super £300 smartphone is useless and my sisters old 2g dumbphone works perfectly on the same network.
progress i guess!
if Three's coverage map is to be believed, then they have excellent coverage in lincs. I'll probably pick up one of their PAYG sims and see how good they really are.
Message 6 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just got my first smartphone, on Orange because I couldn't see the point of having a smartphone when I only get 2g coverage with O2. Have to say I've had no problems at all with the signal in the three days I have had it. My daughters have an Xperia X10 and an Xperia X10 mini pro respectively, both on O2 and both still have the occasional problems with the signal dropping out completely, fortunately when they are at home they use the Wi-Fi.
Message 7 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
See if there is a software upgrade for your phone, these issues of the phone not handing over between 3 and 2G are normally down to the phones software (and its mainly smartphones that do it, including the likes of the Iphone), if not then do a full reboot of the phone as something may have gotten screwed up software wise.
Message 8 of 8