cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Never says if it is 2g, 3g etc just O2-uk

Anonymous
Not applicable

Our lousy service is 2g. Two weeks ago a text said we are upgrading the 3g to your post code -  and adding 4g - in the next few days. But ive noticed no change. But why doesnt my iphone tell me what level of network I am on? The icons across the top of my 5s have never shown this, but in another town that had 4g, it did say 4g. Thanks. 

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143442 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
It can take 2 or 3 weeks to upgrade a mast so it won't happen immediately.
If there is no data signal to display it won't show and the iPhone doesn't say 2g on the screen anyway. It just shows gprs, 3g, 4g.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 2 of 7

MI5
  • 143442 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
It can take 2 or 3 weeks to upgrade a mast so it won't happen immediately.
If there is no data signal to display it won't show and the iPhone doesn't say 2g on the screen anyway. It just shows gprs, 3g, 4g.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 7

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
Generally speaking you will only see the following on screen (assuming you are connected to/using mobile data):
G - GPRS (2G)
E - Edge (2.5G)
3G
H
H+
4G
Depending on what phone/network you are on will change what you see.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 4 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks guys for taking the time to reply.

Jonsie: the status page claims 3g is available

MI5:  as they said "in a couple of days" I assumed the work had been done and it would become live, especially as we enter the 3rd week. It never occurred to me that the text was totally inaccurate!!

gmarkj: I know what it should say, but it doesnt show any of those, as the thread title shows

So thanks for your thoughts, why my iphone shows no signal ID at all is presumably not an iphone thing or iphone setting. I blame O2 simply because they told me it was being upgraded!

At least our 0.5mb copper broadband is now fibre to the premises - one lucky extra for living in the wilds of Herefordshire!

Message 5 of 7

MI5
  • 143442 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Just a thought, but I assume you have mobile data turned on?

Currently using:
Message 6 of 7

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Doesn't show if connected to WiFi.
Message 7 of 7