Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Iphone 6 Unlocking

Hagadol1
Level 1: Joiner
  • 15 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I puchased an iPhone 6 from Apple Regents Street London with an O2 pay monthly contract, about 6 months ago.

I asked the salesperson if the unit was unlocked or if locked could it be unlocked on request.  I travel abroad often and like to swap my SIM card for a local one.  I was assured, unlocking, if needed, would not be a problem. I have previously purchased iPhone 4 and iPhone 5 units and unlocking from O2 was routine, I obviously assumed it would be the same for the iPhone 6.

On arriving in Tel Aviv 10 days ago, it became apparent that my Israeli SIM would not work as the unit was locked to O2. I called O2 and was told they currently will only unlock iPhone 6 units if they are on a 'Refresh' contract.  The website also suggest this with an ambigiuos comment:

http://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-and-devices/unlocking-your-iphone-and-using-it-on-another-network

'We won't be unlocking iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus for a while.' A very informative phrase !

I called Apple support and they said they could not help, it was an O2 issue.

Two things I should point out:

1. There is no financial loss to O2 if they can unlock the unit for me, as a special request, as I am travelling and need that flexibility.  I use the O2 Tugo app for calls to and from the UK, so the company is not making any additional revenue from roaming charges.

2. By being so inflexiable and unhelpful there would be absolutely no chance of me sticking with O2 when my contract expires in about 15 months.

Does anyone have any idea how I can deal with this, hopefully directly with O2 or Apple.  

On two occasions the O2 rep on the phone said a supervisor or manager would call back and of course they did not.  Considering it is a competitive market the O2 Customer Service is extremely bad.

I have been an O2 client for about 6 years, I could easily have purchased an unlocked unit from Apple and continued on my previous SIM only O2 contract, had I known this issue would surface.  

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144350 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
Only O2 can agree to unlock it for you but it's not their policy to do so at the moment. I would think your only chance right now is to buy yourself out of your contract but try O2 CS and escalate to complaints for an official response
http://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 13

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
The apple staff misinformed you. You need to speak to them about that.
O2 policies can't be blamed for the misinformation from the (so called) genius.
Message 3 of 13

Cleoriff
  • 122927 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

From reading the post it appears to me this Is Apple's fault for misinforming you at the outset.  You may not agree with O2's policy of locking iphones but it was Apple that sold you the phone.:smileysad:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 13

jonsie
  • 93235 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6978 Solutions
Message 5 of 13

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

Did you pay for the phone outright? If so O2 should unlock it for you. 

Doesn't sound like it @jonsie as they got it on an O2 contract from an Apple shop.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 6 of 13

jonsie
  • 93235 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6978 Solutions

@perksie wrote:

@jonsie wrote:

Did you pay for the phone outright? If so O2 should unlock it for you. 

Doesn't sound like it @jonsie as they got it on an O2 contract from an Apple shop.

Possibly so but we need the OP to come and clarify. ....

Message 7 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
It does sound like a contract handset, as the sales rep was talking about unlocking not being a problem. That advice wouldn't be relevant if the OP was buying the handset, because it would be supplied unlocked. The fact that Apple Support have also got involved would seem to confirm this, and despite the poor advice that the OP has received, I'm not surprised that they're unable or unwilling to offer any assistance.
Message 8 of 13

jonsie
  • 93235 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6978 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie wrote:

Unwilling and mis-selling then.....

I didn't say I agree with their stance, I'm just being honest. Like most companies, Apple are capable of offering very good, and on occasions very bad service. I think in this instance, it is probably O2 who are most likely to be able to extend any goodwill.

Edit: Talking of service, I notice that the OP was promised a call back from a manager on two separate occasions, but those calls were never returned. I'd be inclined to escalate a formal complaint.

Message 10 of 13