cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I register my new phone in order to unlock it if I don't have O2 sim

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi guys, recently I did an upgrade and I took a new iphone 5s for my boyfried and he wants to use it with three instead of with O2,,,I'm trying to unlock it filling the online aplication form with the imei number but they texted me saying that my device wasn't registered with O2 so they can't do anything...how can I register my phone in order to unlock it if I don't have O2 sim card?

Do I have to finally pay in this kind of street shops to unlock it? Is there any other way to do it?

Thanks a lot

Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144315 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

@viridis wrote:
IPhones from cpw from what I believe are locked to the first sim inserted.

That is correct.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 21 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable
I understand that Rich but have one eye on others searching this thread in the future too 😀😀
Message 22 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi guys,,,thanks to everyone for your help,,,just to clarify, I upgraded my phone from O2 shop, I mean, I still have my iphone 5 and I took iphone 5s for my boyfriend, paying and upfront and extending my contract for a year, now, he wants to run with three instead of O2 so he needs to unlock it,,,,I was trying to fill the online form but they refused it twice, the phone was running with giff gaff for a month and now he wants to change to Three, so, the phone has never had an O2 sim card, only giff gaff, wich is getting the signal from O2 I think, so I'll try to do what u said guys, I'll put my sim card on the new iphone for few days and then I'll try again with the online form...I'll let you all know if it works...thanks guys again

Message 23 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable
Happy to help.

Just to reiterate -> Please make some calls with the sim card in the phone to latch the phones imei to your account. Just placing the sim inside the iPhone is not enough to latch.
Message 24 of 33

Cleoriff
  • 122909 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous 

Good. That should work for you this time. Please come back and let us know if you manage to get it unlocked and sorted:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 25 of 33

MI5
  • 144315 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Yes, that latest plan of yours will work fine slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 26 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable
If the upgrade was done in store, wouldn't that make it a refresh handset?
Thought the handset had to be paid off before it could be unlatched?
Message 27 of 33

jonsie
  • 93223 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
If the upgrade was done in store, wouldn't that make it a refresh handset?
Thought the handset had to be paid off before it could be unlatched?

That now only applies to the iphone 6 as they aren't unlocking them yet unless the phone plan is paid off.

Message 28 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable
Was just a thought?
Message 29 of 33

jonsie
  • 93223 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

Hopefully the iphone 6 will start to be unlocked soon without the need for full payment first.

Message 30 of 33