cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple says my o2 contract iPhone 4S is refurbished!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sometime middle of last year I took an iPhone 4S contract with o2, and still under warranty. My phone has died; I guess it has because of charging issues.

On o2 customer service advise, went to Apple store and they have told me that my phone has a component which is not genuine, which implies that is refurbished and issued me with a letter saying the same, and I don’t have any reasons not to believe them. Needless to say that I never had my phone repaired, in fact I have 4 iPhone in my household, and two of them are under warranty.

o2 store took my phone and sent to the repair office, and today I’ve received a text message from them saying that my iPhone is not covered by warranty, and want to give me a quote for repair. To say that I went ballistic is the understatement of the year, so spoke to the customer services that were unable to help me in anything.

Basically, I’ve paid for a new phone and didn’t get one, and they want me to pay them on the top to repair a refurbished one which I didn’t order in the first place!

I’m logging my official complaint as a formal process to get to the Communications Ombudsman Services, and ready to get to courts if needed.

Anyone here has been in the same situation before?

Thanks

Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32

Anonymous
Not applicable

@VanHelsing, 

Can I ask a few questions please. 

You must know what part is faulty and non genuine as two repairers have told you. So what is the actual part?

Where exactly did you purchase the phones? 

You have also been asked but not replied how you are aware or have come by the so called checks apple do? 

Message 11 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable
From memory the iphone 4s uses a 5 point torx screw known as a Torx plus.
Message 12 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi steersy,

To your question:

“You have also been asked but not replied how you are aware or have come by the so called checks apple do? “

I did earlier reply to you that:

“You don’t really get this information from anywhere, until unfortunately something like this happens to you” – which means, this procedure has been introduced to me, only when I did get to an Apple store.

Regarding the specifics of the fault component, apple doesn’t give any details of which component that might be, and I perfectly understand why.  Can you imagine Apple having a conversation with all clients in electronics language?

Bty, are you a o2 employee? You sound like one…

Message 13 of 33

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Steersy doesn't work for O2, he's trying to help you find a solution for this.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 14 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi @Anonymous

To your question:

“You have also been asked but not replied how you are aware or have come by the so called checks apple do? “

I did earlier reply to you that:

“You don’t really get this information from anywhere, until unfortunately something like this happens to you” – which means, this procedure has been introduced to me, only when I did get to an Apple store.

Regarding the specifics of the fault component, apple doesn’t give any details of which component that might be, and I perfectly understand why.  Can you imagine Apple having a conversation with all clients in electronics language?

Bty, are you a o2 employee? You sound like one…

As Perksie has said I do not work for O2, just another customer who runs his own business and has come across complaints like yours. 

You still have not answer the question properly, how exactly were you introduced to there procedures. Did they tell you exactly what they are looking for or is it written down formally by Apple in there T&C's?

With regard to 'electronics language' no I would not expect that but like every other repairer of anything if something is broken they will tell you what is broken and why it needs repairing. 

I am struggling to believe that two different repair sites have not told you what the failed component is??

Again, where was the phone purchased from as your argument may well be with them.

Message 15 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi steersy,

To your question:

“From memory the iphone 4s uses a 5 point torx screw known as a Torx plus.”

You might want know that:

Originally Torx was a six (6) point star shaped pattern screwdriver, then they acquire license from Phillips to produce a 5 point star screwdriver as in a Torx Plus..

Apple uses a Five (5) point pentlobe screwdriver; penta (latin) stands for five, and such screwdriver was originally invented by Phillips, hence the name "Phillips Screwdriver".

Message 16 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi steersy,

To your question:

“From memory the iphone 4s uses a 5 point torx screw known as a Torx plus.”

You might want know that:

Originally Torx was a six (6) point star shaped pattern screwdriver, then they acquire license from Phillips to produce a 5 point star screwdriver as in a Torx Plus..

Apple uses a Five (5) point pentlobe screwdriver; penta (latin) stands for five, and such screwdriver was originally invented by Phillips, hence the name "Phillips Screwdriver".

Glad you found the copy and paste function

Sorry and your point is what? You stated that they looked at the phillips screws I pointed out the exact screws used. 

I am not trying to be awkward but you seem a little defensive with your answers. We are just here to help.

Message 17 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi steersy,

I know you’ve been around this neighborhood for generations, and I also know that when someone like you comes across something new in this forum, the intuitive sense of status quo and its self-preservation takes over, and you might not be wrong. However, some of the situations may just requires a bit more of knowledge and the basics and fundamentals, versus the sense of crowd; “We are just here to help”.

Typically, when that occurs the “expert” as in “Vanguard” starts to generalize the questions by appealing for the support from the large audience in this forum, to show that the op (as in, newcomer) his/her place.

For example, you’re keeping asking the question:

“Again, where was the phone purchased from ..”

If you had actually read all my postings, you would probably see something I’ve written earlier, along the lines:

“..I did actually bought two (2) mobile phones from o2”

Nowadays forums are run based on knowledge, experience and politeness. The crowd phenomenon, just like in the mid's 2000 forums, is gone.

Just to recap, here are the forums ground rules:

-       Read all posts carefully before you ask any follow up questions , or make comments (this is the biggest sin of all forums)

-       Do not take nothing personally

-       Do your homework, especially in facts and terminology

-       Always be polite

Thanks,

VanHelsing

Message 18 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi steersy,

I know you’ve been around this neighborhood for generations, and I also know that when someone like you comes across something new in this forum, the intuitive sense of status quo and its self-preservation takes over, and you might not be wrong. However, some of the situations may just requires a bit more of knowledge and the basics and fundamentals, versus the sense of crowd; “We are just here to help”.

Typically, when that occurs the “expert” as in “Vanguard” starts to generalize the questions by appealing for the support from the large audience in this forum, to show that the op (as in, newcomer) his/her place.

For example, you’re keeping asking the question:

“Again, where was the phone purchased from ..”

If you had actually read all my postings, you would probably see something I’ve written earlier, along the lines:

“..I did actually bought two (2) mobile phones from o2”

Nowadays forums are run based on knowledge, experience and politeness. The crowd phenomenon, just like in the mid's 2000 forums, is gone.

Just to recap, here are the forums ground rules:

-       Read all posts carefully before you ask any follow up questions , or make comments (this is the biggest sin of all forums)

-       Do not take nothing personally

-       Do your homework, especially in facts and terminology

-       Always be polite

Thanks,

VanHelsing

I have only been on this forum for a few months so your assumption is wrong and in my short and sweet time on here people will tell you that I ask and tell it straight up. 

You still have not told us where you purchased the phones other than it was with O2. This does not answer the question. So I will make it easier for you. 

1. From a O2 shop
  2. from O2 online
  3. Through a 3rd part company that sells o2 phones
  4. From ebay or such site that sells o2 products.

I will ask once again, what part was faulty of your phone that two different repairers highlighted?

I am only asking questions but you seem very defensive like you are hiding something? If you are then nobody will judge you but give you advice on how to solve your issue.

Message 19 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Guys.

The thread seems to have lost shape and direction.

We are all here to pass on our knowledge and learn from each other.

VanHelsing,

Perhaps you could update your thread when you have had some feedback from 02 or Apple.

Message 20 of 33