cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vodafone blacklisted my IMEI... but I'm an o2 customer

Anonymous
Not applicable

To cut a long story short... Vodafone have blacklisted my IMEI, even though I am not a customer of theirs. I have been with o2 since 2002 and have never had anything to do with Vodafone.

My phone is a Galaxy S5 which I have since December 2014 when I took the current contract out through Carphone Warehouse.

Both o2 and Samsung have confirmed that Vodafone blocked the IMEI, and Samsung showed me confirmation on their system. Vodafone say they couldn't have blocked my phone as I don't have an account with them. o2 say they can't unlock it as it wasn't them that blacklisted it. Vodafone say they can't unlock it as I don't have an account with them. I am stuck in the middle and neither company will help me.

I still have 6 months left on my contract and am trapped paying for a phone I can't use. It appears to me that Vodafone have tried to block one of their customer's phones which was stolen, however they have got the IMEI wrong and blocked mine instead.

Does anyone have any ideas? Both companies are supposed to be looking into, but neither seem very confident of resolving the matter, since apparently this happens incredibly rarely.

Message 1 of 48
47 REPLIES 47

Anonymous
Not applicable

This has just got even stranger. So O2 are telling me Vodafone put an IMEI block on it, yet Vodafone say they haven't. Vodafone even showed me on their system that it is not blocked. But it turns out the device IS now locked to Vodafone. They put a Vodafone SIM in in-store and it worked, which wouldn't be the case if the IMEI was barred. So my next question is, is it possible for Vodafone to remotely lock a phone to their network, even if I don't have a Vodafone SIM in? Both O2 and Vodafone seem totally puzzled by this. The kicker is that the exact day my phone started playing up, there was an O2 mast repair in my area, which seemed to occur at the same time as this phantom lock going on. It's all very twilight zone.

Message 41 of 48

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144586 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27728 Solutions
How very strange but surely voda can unlock it for you now?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 42 of 48

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions
I doubt the mast has anything to do with the lock, just coincidence I think. But yes, surely the simplest solution is to ask Vodafone to unlock it...
Message 43 of 48

Anonymous
Not applicable

I could, but Vodafone would charge £20 for the privilege of unlocking my own phone, and apparently it also voids the warranty. So the phone is going back, as I have only had it a week. But somebody somewhere is telling lies. Not sure if it's O2 or Vodafone.

Message 44 of 48

MI5
  • 144586 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27728 Solutions
No it doesn’t void the warranty at all and it should be done free if their error.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 45 of 48

Anonymous
Not applicable

OK. Well that's not what Vodafone told me smirk The issue is, nobody seems to know why or how the device got into this state, so the advice from Vodafone was to just send the device back to where I'd purchased it, as it's well within 30 days of purchase, and doesn't appear to be SIM free after all.

Message 46 of 48

MI5
  • 144586 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27728 Solutions
In your case you will probably be ok but what would happen if you were outside of the 30 days?

Currently using:
Message 47 of 48

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not sure? It is all a bit confusing / worrying confused

Message 48 of 48