cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jellybean playing Havoc with my Galaxy S2

Anonymous
Not applicable

My Galaxy S2 has been fine for the 19 months I've had it, even after the upgrade from Gingerbread to Icecream Sandwich.  But 2 weeks ago I picked it up off the table to find it was half way through an update (not realising there was a new version on O2 yet).  Once it finished Jelly Bean looked great I was extremely happy.  But then I realised that after leaving it on an all night charge (which I have always done) it would sit in my pocket at work, hardly used, and the battery would die around 2-3pm.  I have just switched the vibration off, screen brightness right down, bluetooth off, Google now off and put it on charge again now I'm home.  Now it is running extremely slow, taking up to 10 seconds to react to anything I press.  Every day since it has updated my phone has frozen at least once, today 3 times and I've had to hold the power button for 20-30 seconds to get it to reset.  I want to go back to Icecream sandwich because it seems either my S2 cannot cope with jellybean or it is dire need of another update with fixes.  Please help before I switch to a Windows phone.

Message 1 of 11
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 146533 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28187 Solutions
The official method is Samsung Kies (but can be problematic), there are also apps on Play store that will do it. Carbon is very good. Or just copy your pictures/videos/music etc to your PC or SD Card. The other stuff (email accounts and apps) can be easily reinstalled after the reset.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

MI5
  • 146533 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28187 Solutions
You just need to do a factory reset. Should be done after every major OS update. Back up phone first as it will wipe your data then with phone off hold Vol Up+Home+Power until you see splash screen then let go. Wait for recovery to launch the use vol down key to navigate to "Clear user data/Reset" and press power key after confirming "yes". Select reboot after this has finished then set up your phone and restore from back up if you wish to.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, what is the best way to back it up?  Sorry I'm quite a novice.  Other than drag and dropping my files to my PC is there a quicker way to back up the whole phone?

Message 3 of 11

MI5
  • 146533 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28187 Solutions
The official method is Samsung Kies (but can be problematic), there are also apps on Play store that will do it. Carbon is very good. Or just copy your pictures/videos/music etc to your PC or SD Card. The other stuff (email accounts and apps) can be easily reinstalled after the reset.
Message 4 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just to reassure you. I have an S2, and although I did an unofficial update (as I've got a GT-I9100P and there's no official update yet for that model), the S2 performs fine using the JB OS. The battery runs down a little more, so at the end of the day I normally have between 20% and 50% charge left under normal use. It sounds like there's a program or something running in the background. I'm pretty sure it's not the fact that S2s can't handle JB.
Message 5 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been told that Google Now eats the battery, is this correct?  I'm just about to factory reset after fianally geting Kies to instal on my Samsung laptop (who'd of thought it'd be so much hassle), since the Jellybean update my laptop has not recognised my phone so had to download kies to back it up.

Message 6 of 11

MI5
  • 146533 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28187 Solutions
Google now is an app so it uses battery to run but it's not a heavy consumer of battery. The biggest battery drain comes from the Motion features, particularly smart stay, so turn it off if your not fussed about it......
Message 7 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just like one you, yesterday I found the update to Jellybean just waiting to be installed. So I did it. 

Now 24 hours later I keep getting "TouchWiz Home has stopped", and the phone simply doesn't work anymore. I can't find reference to TouchWiz anywhere.

Has anyone else got this problem and how would one resolve it?

Message 8 of 11

MI5
  • 146533 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28187 Solutions
Follow my advice above to reset the OS. Touchwiz is the name Samsung gives to the phones launcher app.
Message 9 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I hope frostyleeg will not mind if I attach myself to this thread, as my S2 has developed a fault after updating to JB aswell.

In my case, I must admit, the battery issue is non existing. Even more, I have experienced a longer battery life after the update (I have turned off Smart Stay right after the update).

The only problem I have is the Swype keyboard.

Before updating to JB I have had a lot of my own words added to the dictionary. After the update all these words are gone.

That in itself would be a minor hurdle, but what's worse is that the function to add new words to your custom dictionary is not working.

Anybody has experienced something similar and can offer a solution?

regards, Seb.

Message 10 of 11