Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting to US mobile network on o2 phone

Hamburg
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I'm currently on a trip to USA and my phone won't seem to connect to any other network. I received a text on landing to explain charges if I use mobile data but wasnt automatically connected to a network and the 3 that appear when I search manually all give an error message when I try to connect. I'm currently undergoing tests in a hospital and can't contact my insurers.
Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

This isn't so much an O2 issue more a handset compatibility, and network issue. The USA doesn't have universal '2g & it's 3g & 4g descendents' (gsm/umts/lte) coverage like we do in Europe... some areas only have CDMA legacy coverage and some have little or no coverage at all. Some European mobile phones can connect to W/CDMA networks others can't and even some GSM legacy devices struggle cos cos of frequency variances.

As O2 charge £2 per minute for calls  when you roam in the US and £8/mb of data it is in their interest to have agreements with all availabile networks, so you might want to play with the network settings and change the network mode to 2g only and so on, and see if that helps. 

If you have access to WiFi and now that O2 have canned their voice over wi-fi 'TU go' - I would download WhatsApp (WA) or Skype or Google Voice (GV) and use those - The later two let you make calls to non Skype or GV numbers for a (small) charge and all three allow calls to other WA, Skype or GV users for free.

NB Google Voice is only available in the US and certain other countries and works by calling a local to you landline / cell number (that you previously nominated) in order to route the call you wish to make from the nominated device through the GV network and through to your overseas number. So you effectively use the app to connect and pay for the call, not to make the call.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

This isn't so much an O2 issue more a handset compatibility, and network issue. The USA doesn't have universal '2g & it's 3g & 4g descendents' (gsm/umts/lte) coverage like we do in Europe... some areas only have CDMA legacy coverage and some have little or no coverage at all. Some European mobile phones can connect to W/CDMA networks others can't and even some GSM legacy devices struggle cos cos of frequency variances.

As O2 charge £2 per minute for calls  when you roam in the US and £8/mb of data it is in their interest to have agreements with all availabile networks, so you might want to play with the network settings and change the network mode to 2g only and so on, and see if that helps. 

If you have access to WiFi and now that O2 have canned their voice over wi-fi 'TU go' - I would download WhatsApp (WA) or Skype or Google Voice (GV) and use those - The later two let you make calls to non Skype or GV numbers for a (small) charge and all three allow calls to other WA, Skype or GV users for free.

NB Google Voice is only available in the US and certain other countries and works by calling a local to you landline / cell number (that you previously nominated) in order to route the call you wish to make from the nominated device through the GV network and through to your overseas number. So you effectively use the app to connect and pay for the call, not to make the call.

Message 2 of 6

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

@Hamburg Where in the US are you located at present? You will not be able to connect to any CDMA network on your phone. You are most likely to get connected to the AT&T network or T-Mobile, but you will only get a 3G connection for data, and it probably won't be at acceptable speeds. 

If you have access to WiFi, and most hospitals do, download the Skype app if you don't have it already. Your best option is to use that to call back to the UK. If you're calling your insurance company, they probably have an 0800 number. If you use Skype over WiFi the call will be free. If they don't have an 0800 number you will have to buy credit from Skype to call back to the UK, but the calls are not expensive. Whatsapp is only good if both parties are using the app. 

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 6

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Please do as advised. If you are in hospital then there may not be a compatible network available due to poor coverage caused by the building constriction. 

Message 4 of 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144168 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Rebooting the phone a few times may help it connect to a network if anything is available too.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 6

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Welcome to our forum @Hamburg, please do let us know how you're getting on with this, did you have a chance to check out the replies above from our members? slight_smile

Message 6 of 6