Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unknowingly sent text from abroad

Dave_R
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Just come back from holiday in Cape Verde (so not an inclusive EU destination).  Took care not to make calls or send txt messages (stuck to hotel WiFI).  Checking MyO2 I find that I have been charged for several SMS messages whilst abroad.  My phone (Pixel 3A) has no record of any outbound SMS messages.

The bill shows all SMS messages were directed to the O2 SMS access point number 07802000332.

Had an argument with customer services who are convinced that I (or someone else) MUST have sent the SMS messages - I didn't, & no-one had access to the phone.

Wondering if these spurious SMS messages are still being sent (e.g. by an app on the phone) but I'm on an "unlimited SMS" bundle, so checking usage on My O2 does not appear to itemise outgoing SMS messages as they are zero charge.  (this is my first month on O2 so I haven't got any other bills to refer back to).

Any suggestions WHERE these half dozen unsolicited, unmade, outbound SMS are coming from/going to? or what is sending them?

As an asside - customer services rep said he'd refund the cost to my account - though this is currently not showiong on MyO2 - be interesting when the billing date is reached in a few days' time.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 119258 Posts
  • 604 Topics
  • 17273 Solutions

@Dave_R 

This has been previously reported as visual voicemail completing a handshake with O2's systems.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
OnePlus 6 (O2 & Sfr), Z3 Tablet (Three UK), iPhone 8+ (EE)
Message 2 of 3

jTemplar
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I’m in Spain at the moment and this number appears on MyO2 bill nine times each charged at the rate of £0.13. Should I really be charged every time 'visual voicemail completing a handshake with O2's systems' occurs?
Message 3 of 3