cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot send texts to Claro in Argentina

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I have a friend in Argentina on the Claro network - she can send texts to me, but my replies to her never arrive. I am charged for then by O2. This is the same here in UK, and also when I am in Argentina. My phone is a Nokia C2-01 on PAYG.

Is there a problem with Claro? Interestingly, when I was in Argentina (connected to Telefonica), I would receive each text from my friend 10 times, but from numbers outside Argentina, only once - and my replies to those were delivered.

Any help/advice appreciated.

Thanks,

Phillip

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

It certainly seems to be an issue between the two networks which would be very difficult to resolve. Get your friend to use Whatsapp, Viber or messenger wink

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

It's possible that O2 don't have roaming agreements with the Claro network but you would have to verify that with customer service. O2 can only guarantee that the text has left their network (hence the charges) but they can't guarantee receipt by the foreign network.

Have you tried sending a text independently rather than by replying?

If you can contact your friend via other means, you can ask them to check a fault with their network.

I would also speak to customer service and ask for the charges to be refunded due to non-delivery.

Message 2 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

As it happens I can call my friend's number on Claro, which implies O2 and Claro have at the very least a charging agreement in place. If they had no agreement whatsoever it shouldn't be possible for me to receive texts from a Claro number, but I can.

I have replied, and sent directly to the number from my address book, but the result is the same - the text doesn't arrive.

My friend has contacted Claro who claim (perhaps inevitably) that the problem is not at their end. I suspect it is, but have no way of proving it...

Message 3 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi @Anonymous

I've not used the phone you own but thought I'd ask if their is any type of call or text blocking setting on that model ?

Message 4 of 7

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Unfortunately there's no guarantee that texts will be handled ok by foreign networks. Its something we see often on here and on other forums so it's not limited to o2.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

no, my phone blocks only by 'international', or none at all. I get texts from all around the World, and can send too, it's only those going to Claro network that never seem to arrive.

At least my phone did actually work when I was in Argentina, just ironic the only person I couldn't text was the person I'd gone there to visit! Will try and enourage her to change networks... 🙂

Phillip

Message 6 of 7

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

It certainly seems to be an issue between the two networks which would be very difficult to resolve. Get your friend to use Whatsapp, Viber or messenger wink

Message 7 of 7