cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone used O2 Recycle?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, was wondering if anyone has used O2 recyle as want to recyle my old iphone 5 an they seem to have the best price (£196) but was wondering if i go in the store would i need to bring anything besides the phone such as proof of purchase or Charger or anything like that or just the phone with everything erased as i cant seem to find out on there site? Also do they usually give the price which is quoted on there website? Used Carphonewarehouse trade in last time an they gave the price they quoted without any problems an only wanted the phone but there price seems to be £40 less this time. Thanks in advanced. 

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Cex will offer less in store normally but if you quote the online price they'll do it. I recently sold my purple z1 and online price was 211 went into store and they offered. Between 160-178 depending on grade I quoted b grade at 211 and they just done it at that.
Message 11 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
CEX are currently offering £226 for an iPhone 5 Slate Grey, Grade A , Unlocked which is the version I sold so not really much drop in the 6 months since I sold mine for £249. wink

The main reasons I prefer places like CEX are ;

You get the price quoted face to face.

You don't get a quote online , send it off , only to sometimes get a second quote as they now say the phone is not as first described in quality.

Some offer to send the phone back if you pay P&P.

I would defiantly shop around for the best deal.

I believe places like Phones for You also accept phones as trade in.
Message 12 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have used O2 Recycle twice, the 1st time was via mail and they tried to reduce the price due to "Damage" When I phoned and queried saying the phone was in good condition when it left here and I knew it was packed well enough to withstand the postal journey and they should return it - attitude suddenly changed and they offered original price (suspect a bit of sharp practice by the people who operate the scheme for O2)

I decided all future trade ins would be with CPW who I had used previous to this episode with no problems.

On the last phone swop the guy asked me what I was doing with the old phone, told him the above story which he had obviously heard before and offered to do it there and then and put the credit on my account which I was happy with and he matched CPWs price as well after I told him they were a few pounds out.

I think dealing face to face in the shop O2 Recycle could be ok, dealing with them over the phone and mail - avoid like the plague

Message 13 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous   -  My experience is somewhat similar to your own.  I sent my old S2 off to O2 using the prescribed procedure and almost immediately got a reply saying the screen was damaged and they would offer only £9.  Naturally I declined and asked them to return the phone which I received soon afterwards.  There was no damage whatever to the screen so I got in touch and queried this only to be told that one of their technicians had examined the phone "against a white background" and discovered a few pixels were burned out (or words to that effect). They said "This may not be something you would pick up on as you are using your handset on a coloured background  but testing is carried out on a white background." 

When they returned the phone it was packaged with the battery outside the phone and placed against the screen.

I have serious reservations about how the O2 recycle operation and would never use it again.

Gerry

Message 14 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've just used recycle for the first time, and I have to say, I'm not impressed so far. I sent an immaculate 4s back after being quoted £117 and received an email today saying the screen was cracked and the back was coming away. Luckily I took pictures of the handset before sending. I work for a mobile phone retailer so know that transporting handsets require good packaging of which I made sure. As it was over £100, they arranged a courier to pick it up and are now blaming the courier, for whom they say are not responsible. Unless the courier took an axe to it, I can't see how it could have been possibly damaged to the extent they are saying it has. I await a call from a manager scheduled for tomorrow.
Message 15 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
It was very prudent to take pics..... Very well done.

Please let us know how you get on with this @Anonymous
Message 16 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
When I changed from the S3 to the S4 I did so in Carphone Warehouse who also offer recycling.

They made the offer there and then and I accepted. None of this sending handsets away and disputing the quality. Sure I could have got £20 more elsewhere but there was also the hassle factor and the not knowing for sure. I felt reassured it was all done in minutes.
Message 17 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
Totally agree.

It does pay to shop around too.

My preference is CEX.

I hope the OP gets a reasonable outcome.
Message 18 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
After various discussions by both email and by phone to supervisors at Recycle, they have decided to pay me the full amount quoted. I'd definitely taking time stamped photos before you send your handset off, showing front and back of handset, and also powered on with the imei displayed (*#06#). Without any of this I wouldn't have had a leg to stand on. In hindsight, I'd probably take pictures of the packaging also. The supervisor advised they would take it up with the courier, UK Mail. Originally I was told this wasn't Recycles responsibility. I also made a point of emailing all my queries and concerned, and even copied the CEO on my first communication. I am satisfied with the outcome, but I feel sorry for my poor old phone after taking good care of it for nearly 2 years!
Message 19 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

Thank you for your update.

A good result.

Message 20 of 21