Did you mean: 

Thursday Quiz 11 April 2019

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25134 Posts
  • 809 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi all the Thursday Quizzers.

The Thursday Quiz is open to all members of the Community, so whether you are one of the regulars, a member who has not entered a previous Thursday Quiz, or one of our new members, you are all welcome to come and join in.

This Thursday Quiz - for 11 April - will, as decided by most of the regulars, be three questions on

HISTORY

The Quiz will be posted around 10pm tonight - Wed 10 April - when the Quiz will open and answers can be submitted, and will remain open until 12 noon Friday 12 April.

I hope as many of you as possible will take part, and new members or those who have not taken part in a previous Thursday Quiz, will join us.

If you have questions about the Thursday Quiz, please ask and I`ll post an answer slight smile before the Quiz is posted.

Thank you, once again, for your interest.

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions
Message 11 of 15

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10764 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions

Hello @Mi-Amigo 

I'll have a stab at these ~ 

Q. 1   William the Conqueror  (because I don't know anyone else)

Q. 2   Expected Answer would be the Vikings  My Answer ~ Vikings 

but I know that there were many Horned Helmets so not expecting this to be correct~ reading 

between the lines of the Question Master.  

Q. 3  Expected Answer would be Francis Drake

( because he is famous for this battle

but my Answer is ~  "I don't really know who led the Fleet"  

History is  "looking back" so I didn't really get on with that idea ~ understanding that 

it may be necessary for all different reasons.

History is difficult because the same events can be

different depending on the person/persons writing it and of course the literary dreamers  upside_down

Thanks @Mi-Amigo for the Quiz giving time to reflect and consider !  Thinking

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 12 of 15

TallTrees
  • 10764 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions

Gosh @jonsie 

I like your thoughts/answer to Q2 this is probably more correct than any ~ certainly up-to-date Fantastic

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 13 of 15

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25134 Posts
  • 809 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

THURSDAY QUIZ 11 APRIL - RESULTS AND ANSWERS

Q1 @Cleoriff - correct trophy ; @Glory1 [agreeing with @Cleoriff ] - correct trophy@jonsie [agreeing with @Cleoriff ] - correct trophy

@MI5- incorrect * klaxon * ; sorry @TallTrees incorrect * klaxon *.

Q2 @Cleoriff - correct trophy

@MI5- incorrect * klaxon * ; sorry @jonsie - incorrect * klaxon *; @Glory1 - incorrect * klaxon *; @TallTrees - incorrect * klaxon *

Q3 now this is where it gets difficult [see A3 below]

@CleoriffCharles Howard - correct trophy ; Drake - incorrect * klaxon *;

@MI5Charles Howard - correct trophy ; Drake - incorrect * klaxon * ;

@Glory1Charles Howard - correct trophy Drake - incorrect * klaxon * ;

@jonsie[agreeing with others] Charles Howard - correct trophy ; Drake - * incorrect *

@TallTrees- Drake - incorrect * klaxon *

A1 - as @Cleoriff said, after the Battle of Hastings Edgar II was made King of England. This was by the Witan, a council of religious and political leaders. Two months later, rescinded their decision, surrendered Edgar to William.

A2 - as @Cleoriff said, by Sardinian warriors. Evidence on Nuragic statues, dating from late Bronze Age to early Iron Age [up to c800BC] found in Etruscan tombs.

Horned helmets by Gauls and Germanics date from later, possibly influenced by Nuragics, which is why could not allow those answers. The idea that Vikings wore horned helmets originated in Frithiof`s Saga by Swedish illustrator Gustav Malmstrom, published in 1825.

A3 - Lord Charles Howard of Effingham led the English fleet, pushing the Spanish fleet northwards up the eastern coast of England. The Spanish rounded Scotland, sailed down the west coast of Ireland and took the long way home, with many ships succumbing to fierce storms rather than English attacks.

Sir Francis Drake was second-in-command. Although he is considered a British hero, his fire ship failed to ignite any Spanish vessel. Drake was a "privateer" [polite term for pirate] when he circumnavigated the globe in 1581, plundering Spanish ships  of gold on his return home.

The awards this week are:

@Cleoriff  Q1 trophy plus credit for info ; Q2 trophy ; Q3 trophy for Howard, * klaxon* for Drake

@Glory1Q1 trophy ; Q2 * klaxon * ; Q3 trophy for Howard, * klaxon * for Drake

@MI5Q1 * klaxon * ; Q2 * klaxon * ; Q3 trophy for Howard, * klaxon * for Drake

@TallTreesQ1 * klaxon * ; Q 2 * klaxon * ; Q 3 * klaxon *

@jonsieQ1 trophy ; Q2 * klaxon * ; Q3 trophy for Howard, * klaxon * for Drake

but for giving us another good laugh with answer to Q2 , I am again awarding @jonsie a special sweat_smile

I hope you all enjoyed playing.

I`d like to thank @TallTrees for joining us. I would add that, like the TV programme QI, it isn`t easy to find the right answers and hope you`ll play along in future Thursday Quizzes

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 14 of 15

TallTrees
  • 10764 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions

Thank you @Mi-Amigo for your welcome.

Always like to learn a few things too ~ hopefully I will remember them!

Try and join in the next one ~ best wishes TallTreessmiling 

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 15 of 15