Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Beach ‌🏖

RunrigForever
Level 21: Regular
  • 2917 Posts
  • 38 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Walking barefoot along the beach, sandals in hand, in the shallow waters,  enjoying myself in my own quiet way ..... this has been a pleasure for me since a little kid ... collecting razor shells off Bridlington's golden sands ... when in Sharjah, UAE United Arab Emirates, found many shiny fan shaped shells which are displayed at home in my Gran's green willow basket. The sand there was very soft with no tides in the Gulf.

mohsin-5nV92BGm1oc-unsplash.jpg

Photo by Mohsin on Unsplash

Sandcastles and sand pies where all 4 of us had a family holiday on the East coast of Yorkshire: Hornsea, Whitby, Filey and Scarborough. Dad would go for a tray of tea for him and mum. My sister and I enjoyed an ice cream. Mum made us matching beach-robes and beach blanket in bright yellow terry towelling - it had a sea shell design.

Some beaches were pebbles - Hastings and the North beach at Bridlington. I have some of these as 'found material' in large jars and my own made pottery dishes displayed in my work room. 

rebecca-campbell-eUU_r7q_iUo-unsplash.jpg

Photo by Rebecca Campbell on Unsplash

In my later years I realised that walking barefoot on the beach made the soles of my feet smooth. 

It is an enjoyable experience going to the seaside for me and taking in the sea air. I managed a few days away in May to the Cumbrian coast, with a lot of support.

My son as a little kid also enjoyed the beach, making sand pies and castles at Southport and the Yorkshire resorts I have mentioned above. He had fun putting up a deckchair.

When your mum made you bring a bucket of sea water to wash over your sandy feet and dried between your toes ... Yes, I remember it well. 🏖

***DESORMAIS***
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 126406 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7558 Solutions

Beautiful pictures @RafaC

My friend lived in Bournemouth, When I visited her, we spent a lot of time on the beach. One of the best in the UK I think.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 11 of 19

BobM
Level 27: Desk Jockey
  • 5021 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@RafaC ... My only experience of Brazil and Sao Paulo is sitting in the airport.  Flew there from Heathrow and was waiting for a connecting flight to Florianopolis.  Spent a couple of weeks there ..... lovely Island, nice beaches, but I guess you know that.

Best beach I've been to??  Has to be Yalta in Crimea, Ukraine.  Something special about being in the Black Sea, great memories, even more so now with the current situation.  

Message 12 of 19

RafaC
Former Staff
  • 1774 Posts
  • 157 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

Thanks @Cleoriff 😊

I agree, out of all the beaches I've been in the UK so far, Bournemouth is one of the best. I do prefer Brighton as a coastal town, but beach-wise, Bournemouth is better. 

@BobM Florianopolis is beautiful, so nice to hear that you've been there too! I went there a couple of times, 
even managed to try sandboarding at Joaquina Beach (a favourite for surfers). I remember enjoying Praia dos Ingleses too, which could be translated as Englishmen's Beach 😄

I've searched the internet for that beach in Crimea and is looks fantastic indeed, totally get it being special to you as you've put. 

Message 13 of 19

BobM
  • 5021 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@RafaC 

On Florianopolis I stayed at Canasvieiras but visited a few beaches and recall watching sandboarding on huge dunes.  Had never seen it before and can't remember the name of the place, but may well have been on the beach you mentioned. Good to see.

Message 14 of 19

RafaC
Former Staff
  • 1774 Posts
  • 157 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

@BobM Canasvieiras looks great, I haven't been there myself. I think if you have seen people sandboarding over there, it was probably at the Joaquina's dunes. Sandboarding was pretty intense for me, even though I was an avid skateboarder back then 🏂

Message 15 of 19

BobM
  • 5021 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I was desperate to join them on the dunes @RafaC🏂 but sadly had left my board at the hotel that day. 😜

Message 16 of 19

RafaC
Former Staff
  • 1774 Posts
  • 157 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

@BobM 🤣
I think you haven't seen the sign saying that you could have rented a board either right? Oh wait, that was probably written in Portuguese so yeah 😂

Message 17 of 19

BobM
  • 5021 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Ah, so that's what the sign said @RafaC ... if only I'd taken my Portuguese phrase book with me instead of leaving it at the hotel with my board.  Will remember next time 👍

Message 18 of 19

RafaC
Former Staff
  • 1774 Posts
  • 157 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

@BobM make sure to always keep it with you next time you're in Brazil then 😆

Message 19 of 19