Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strictly 2023

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3335 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Strictly is back and I've just realised how long ago I logged in. Still, it's that time of the year when our Saturday evening viewing highlight is Strictly. @Cleoriff we get to fill the off-topic section for a couple of months 🙂

This year, the BBC seems to have discovered "celebz" by utilising the Sonar Mapping technology. Just watch this informative video on how the BBC uncovers the latest contestants for this year. Yep, it's not going to be pretty again...

To start, it's Layton Williams who's apparently an actor and starred in such things as musicals so obviously the ringer of the series. Sonar ping did take a while to return: 
p0g4wf0l

Next up, is someone who has apparently been acting for 3 decades and yet remains completely anonymous to me. Here is Amanda Abbington who's claim to fame is Martin Freeman's ex. Apparently causing a stir on Twitter for a tiny minority. 

p0g4vtdm

Lo and behold, we now have a household name: Angela Rippon! Apart from reading the news way back when there were 3 channels, she's also presented Strictly's predecessor Come Dancing for a while.  Also 79 so out by week 2. 

p0g4w15r

Celebz number 4 is Channel 4 news presenter Krishnan Guru-Murthy. Since I have never watched C4 news ever, I've just seen clips of him in passing. Sheepdog's Strictly Score: probably mid-table mediocrity.

p0g501j0

Sonar pinging is really taking its time with our next Celebz: Eddie Khadi. According to the webpage: "Recognised as one of the most globally celebrated stand up personalities...". Though the page fails to specify which planet. Could be fun, could be gone before his time and maybe putting in a job application for Claudia.p0g552wt

Returning an audio signal is the nice but rather bland TV presenter Angela Scanlon. Could be the dark horse of the series or could be a better presenter than Claudia next year.

p0g57myb

Come in Contestant number 7, your time is up. This year's nominee for "Who's that?" award is Zara McDermott. Her wiki page classes her as an English media personality which you can guess, means looks pretty for the cameras. Cynicism aside, seems to be forging a career in documentaries and has a bit of career on television shows before Love Island.

p0g59r9q

So that's the first un-magnificent 7 announced. I suspect that we'll be getting the current vogue of a Drag Queen announced as a new feature and some other obscurities over the next few days. Maybe we may see a controversial choice of Philip Schofield now he's out of work on ITV. 

Unfortunately, we're still stuck with the same judges as before so more Motsi who's bound to be even more annoying this year so I shall look forward to muting "Motsi's Mumblings" and the still boring Tess and more of the same from Claudia.  Only real change (so far) from the pro's is that Amy Dowden won't be there due to recent cancer/Chemotherapy treatment. 

As for It Take's two, Jeanette Ranarama is back but seems someone likes Fleurgh East enough on the Beeb to give her a job co-presenting as Rylan's replacement. 

I think I'll be using iplayer on fast forward rather a lot this year.

Message 1 of 178
177 REPLIES 177

sheepdog
  • 3335 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Weekly fashion report: Tess now shopping at Primark, Claudia in a belted table cloth, Craig needs to understand this jackets don't match with the trousers and Motsi? Well she looked good again! Also best comments of the night as a judge but no, not a ten. 

Ellie and Vito: Can't fault her technique or consistency and not much wrong with the dance. I just felt it was on the boring side. Maybe because it was first or just one of those dances that is just ok by the standards she's shown us already. 

Adam and Luba: Feel the warmth coming through the airwaves! So nice and such a massive improvement. 

Jody and Jowita:  All lifts and all steps in a circle. Chest waxing was probably the best bit. Without seeing the other dances to come at this point, this is a definite dance-off contender and going home. 

Amanda and Giovanni: She's good but this one was disjointed and I think her problem is she tends to rush between sequences so not a good one for her. 

Krishnan and Lauren: The DAO gets a mention for at least trying. But don't try too often 😎

Opening 20 seconds pretty good but kind of floppy after that. Agree with the judges on counting and it's the over-counting that counted against him. Otherwise a rather nice bit of unexpected consistency.

Zara and Graziano:  I liked this one a lot. Everything was just nice and very little to say bad things against. Learnt from last week and performance was noticeable. It would be cruel for the public vote to put her in the bottom two. 

Annabel and Johannes: The only thing wrong with this was the abysmal camera work. Great stuff and just little more performance will push her to be a serious top 5 contender. Come on Johannes, you know how to do this. 

Eddie and Karen: Good routine but and this is Karen's fault completely, is that he needs to better in-hold which detracted from what could have been a higher score. You are his teacher so you have to deal with it and not compensate with other distractions. Sort it out as this is the second week its been mentioned.  

Layton and Nikita: A big surprise was that we were introduced to Layton's friends. I thought it might be a set of mirrors but lo and behold, apparently they were real like the atmosphere and crowd at 11am on tuesday morning for filming. Ok good things: the tassels jumpsuit and the routine was pretty decent. However, it's a case of "look at me, me, me, again look at me, don't look at him, look at ME" and Nikita is just there as eye candy for him. Why are you looking at HIM?

Nigel and Katya: After last week this had to be very good. And it was. Apart from the end lift which went on too long. Now we need the consistency. Noticed he had tape on his legs so may be carrying an injury. 

Angela S and Carlos: Hmm. Disappointed by this one and I'd have to give Zara the nod on comparison. Main problem is the same as Amanda: too rushed and too tense. If she gets to the final, this one we should see again as the improvement dance. 

Angela R and Kai:  Lack-of-a-rumba. All Kai again though can't fail to be impressed by 78 year old doing splits! Extremely overmarked. I couldn't help thinking her dress was more like the outfit in V the mini-series. Warning: the hamster eating scene is in the segment

Bobby and Dianne: Deadly serious Tango. Great routine though the use of red light made is a touch difficult to track at times. Pay attention BBC producers.

Overall, this week showed a high level of improvement which means someone might be going home unexpectedly depending on how many mistakes. 

I'd say definitely Jody in the dance-off but given the closeness of the scores it could be anyone from Eddie, Angela S, Zara, Krishnan and Annabel. No hope for Jody against anyone there so I'll throw in Angela S as the other one. Because last week she was top and it makes better TV to throw her in the wrong end. 

Oh Beverly Knight. Again. At least she can sing but what will she sing...

Message 71 of 178

RunrigForever
Level 21: Regular
  • 2917 Posts
  • 38 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I did get to see most of the dances off my phone later in the evening

I thought Angela R's rumba lacked any kind of sensuality / sexiness in the Dance of Love = she just went through the motions Kai had taught her

Enjoyed Nigel & Katya's salsa, but the lighting was too dark for me ... I wanted to focus on 'Patrick Swayze' as you say above @Cleoriff 

Annabel is dancing well within herself ... Johannes needs to work his 'magic' here as you say above @sheepdog 

I am not a fan of Layton's dancing at all

Krishnan to stay in another week, surprisingly really

Who else to go ? ... maybe Annabel, as she does dance laclusture ... depends upon her fanbase.

***DESORMAIS***
Message 72 of 178

Cleoriff
  • 126406 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7558 Solutions

I've just read on FB that Karen (Eddie's partner) has split with her husband. No wonder her heart doesn't seem to be in it this week

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 73 of 178

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 126406 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7558 Solutions

A most peculiar opening number. Not sure I understood the storytelling?

Thank you Beverley Knight. A great number. Brilliant voice. Best guest for years.

Dance Off

Eddie and Karen

and

Jody and Jowita

Very poor dance by Jody and Jowita. Mistakes by both of them.

The judges saved Eddie and Karen.

Apparently Angela Rippon is doing the Argentine Tango next week. I don't think I will be at all impressed!!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 74 of 178

sheepdog
  • 3335 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

That opening number was another self-indulgent fantasy by Jason Gilkerson. Fortunately my contact lenses needed taking out so missed 80% of it. Tess in neon sack cloth and safety pins. 

Beverly Knight: if you're going to sit on a chair then you might as make it a throne and act like a queen! Being a decent singer kinda helps too. Top class!!!

Pretty much a given that Jody was done when he was announced. Wouldn't have mattered even with the mistakes. 

As for Angela Rippon doing the AT, all I can say is that I won't be watching it live as I've travelling next saturday. I suspect this is the one and only chance she'll get to do it as the next weakest is Krishnan and he's technically better. The bar is low though. 

Message 75 of 178

Cleoriff
  • 126406 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7558 Solutions

Next week is the US Formula 1 at the Circuit of the Americas.

It's also a Sprint weekend. The timings in the UK are all in the evenings, so Strictly will be recorded with a late write up.

It will be watched and discussed but at a time to suit me.

If there are safety cars in F1, the sessions will all over-run.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 76 of 178

RunrigForever
Level 21: Regular
  • 2917 Posts
  • 38 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

SCD 2023 is a very poor pastiche of a Soap Opera imhho ....... (humble / honest)

I am unable to watch the whole of each Saturday and Sunday shows ..... for personal health reasons

Thank you @Cleoriff & @sheepdog for your take on the show

Hope to be watching next week ... if only to see what passion (or not) Angela R can come up with for an Argentine Tango ..... Kai is an exceptional professional dancer and they have a good rapport, but I'd say the task is beyond him.

Have been enjoying the recent Internationals at the Tower Ballroom, Blackpool & the Royal Albert Hall, London ... ... ... even given the comparatively small image on my phone, the events are spectacular ... with ... proper orchestra in London and recorded music at Blackpool.

KEEP DANCING !!!

***DESORMAIS***
Message 77 of 178

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3335 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Week 5 oddities and curios:

Adam and Luba: Couple’s Choice to Backstreet Boys Medley by Backstreet Boys

Amanda and Giovanni: Cha Cha to Canned Heat by Jamiroquai

Annabel and Johannes: Charleston to Ladies Night by Kool & The Gang

Angela R and Kai: Argentine Tango to Tanguera by Sexteto Mayor

Looking forward to Adam's CC not so much to the AT. Just listening to the AT tune and there's going to be a disconnect between music and what's going to be performed. Both Amanda and Annabel have difficult tunes to deal with for their dances. Can't stand the music of Jamiro-Why so thats a few minus points from me.

Angela S and Carlos: American Smooth to Cherish by Madonna

Bobby and Dianne: Viennese Waltz to golden hour by JVKE

Eddie and Karen: Samba to Calm Down by Rema ft. Selena Gomez

Ellie and Vito: Paso Doble to Insomnia by Faithless

Seriously, who thinks a 90's dance classic is any way or form a Paso tune? It's bad enough going metal but we shall see. Angela S has a good tune to match the dance so I'm expecting a lot. Eddie, well he's got a bit of a pass this week in the Samba as there's not much focus on being in-hold. However the tune is not much more than a constant shake of tiktaks. Now let's see if Bobby can be less serious looking for the VW.

Krishnan and Lauren: Quickstep to The Lady Is A Tramp by Frank Sinatra

Layton and Nikita: Salsa to Quimbara by Johnny Pacheco and Celia Cruz

Nigel and Katya: Foxtrot to I Just Want To Make Love To You by Etta James

Zara and Graziano: American Smooth to Can’t Fight The Moonlight by LeAnn Rimes

Have to say, that's a good one for Krishnan. Layton has a good one and will probably end up top of the leaderboard unfortunately. Nigel looking to have another stormer whilst Zara just needs to maintain consistency. May border on boring if there is no pizzaz. 

Overall, looks like its going to be a good week. 

Message 78 of 178

Cleoriff
  • 126406 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7558 Solutions

I decided to have a listen to Insomnia by Faithless. No I can't see Vito and Ellie managing a Paso to it.

I think we are at the stage now when so many have upped their game that the eliminations will be shocking.

Angela Rippon is going nowhere whilst the judges keep overmarking her efforts. She will be unable to pull off an Argentine Tango but Kai will cover up any deficiencies and no doubt the damn judges will be on their feet!"!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 79 of 178

Cleoriff
  • 126406 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7558 Solutions

@sheepdog @RunrigForever 

Just been announced that Amanda and Giovanni have a bye into next week due to medical reasons.

Also remember. F1 interferes with Strictly. So SCD will be recorded and I will write up on Sunday am.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 80 of 178