Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HOPE - the 02 Community Elephant

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25143 Posts
  • 810 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

The 02 Community is renown for its members offering help and for caring.

It is with great pleasure that I can announce that, thanks to the support of members of this Community, an adoption has been set up with the Born Free Foundation for what is known as the Elephant Family.

The Born Free Adoption Certificate will be in the name of the "02 Community".

It has been decided that one of these elephants should be named HOPE.

The adoption pack, with the adoption certifciate and photos of these beautiful creatures, should be received within the next few days and will be posted on this thread.

In the meantime, here is a short video of these beautiful elephants and the Born Free Foundation:

https://www.bornfree.org.uk/video-hub?page=2

scroll down and click "Adopt the Elephant Family" to watch

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 1 of 212
211 REPLIES 211

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

Super video @Mi-Amigo and Hope and his sister are adorable.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 31 of 212

Mi-Amigo
  • 25143 Posts
  • 810 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Whilst it is great news to receive the official Adoption Certificate, recognising 02 Community as sponsors of the Born Free Foundation, it is with sadness I have to report that, although Dr Cynthia Moss reported in July 2018 that the twin baby elephants were thriving, Hope`s sister, officially named Katito, passed away in October 2018.

Amboseli Elephants reported on Facebook on 22 October 2018: 

We are very sorry to have to report that one of the twin elephants born to Paru in Amboseli died. The female calf was the smaller of the two and at an early stage had sustained an injury to her back which seemed to heal. The vet had looked at it and decided against treating it because there was no obvious distress and no infection. Darting a lactating female is very high risk to both the mother and her milk-dependent calves so for the sake of keeping Paru and her calves in good health the decision was made not to intervene. We kept a close eye on the twins and it seemed she got better on her own; we therefore cannot say for sure that this was the cause of death. She died a natural death, something that almost every elephant mother in the wild has endured at some point in her life.

I am heartbroken. However, I will continue to support the Born Free Foundation and do all I can to ensure, as far as possible, that Hope has a long and protective future and promise to update and keep everyone informed of `our` little Hope and will never forget his little twin sister.

I truly regret having to impart such sad news on the same day which the support of you, the members of the Community was officially recognised.

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 32 of 212

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122895 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

That's very tragic news @Mi-Amigo 

Just wishing Hope the very best of luck in the future heart

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 33 of 212

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

So sad to read about Hope's sister but look forward to happier news and updates about our Hope heart

Message 34 of 212

Mi-Amigo
  • 25143 Posts
  • 810 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

IN MEMORY OF HOPE`S BABY TWIN SISTER, KATITO

born March 2018, died October 2018

hope-sister.jpg

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 35 of 212

Cleoriff
  • 122895 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@Mi-Amigo wrote:

hope-sister.jpg

Tragic. It's nature and sometimes is so cruel. 'Our' Hope continues to thrive. Long may it last heart

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 36 of 212

Mi-Amigo
  • 25143 Posts
  • 810 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@Mi-Amigo wrote:

hope-sister.jpg

Tragic. It's nature and sometimes is so cruel. 'Our' Hope continues to thrive. Long may it last heart

Thank you @Cleoriff 

Your words are so true. And like you, I sincerely believe that `our` Hope, with our support, will continue to thrive and have a long and protected life.

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 37 of 212

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10767 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions
A sad up-date @Mi-Amigo must still focus on a good future for Hope and her Elephant family.

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 38 of 212

jonsie
  • 93217 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6971 Solutions

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

Truly very sad news, indeed @Mi-Amigo. Words fail me, I never know quite what to say at a death, be it human or animal. Either is a loss to the world cry

Message 40 of 212