cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text Message Tips (not sent or received)

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92812 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6909 Solutions

A couple of tips if you have problems either sending or receiving text messages especially after any network issues, either with a local mast or whether a widespread network outage.

To send a text message from your mobile, you must have the correct message centre number stored in your mobile phone.

Open messages and then message settings to check ✔ :
Pay & Go message centre number is +447802092035
Pay Monthly  message centre number is +447802000332

The plus +sign is important and often drops off so check ✔ that too.

If this message centre number changes whenever the phone is powered off and then back point, you have the incorrect type of sim card for your account.

• Important Note

The ‘delivery report’ function is not supported on the O2 network. If you would like to receive delivery reports, you can enter *0# followed by your text message and then send the message as you usually would.

If you are experiencing problems receiving text messages there are a couple of easy steps you can take to try and resolve this yourself.

• Occasionally dust and static can build up on your sim card and prevent it from working correctly. To clean your sim card, turn off your mobile and remove the sim card. Wipe the gold tab gently with a dry lint free cloth, blow into the sim receiver in the mobile and then place it back in your mobile and turn your mobile back on.

• Manual network selection: 
  • Forcing your mobile to try and connect to a different network, then back to O2 refreshes your mobile's connection to the O2 network and helps push through undelivered messages. To perform a manual network selection, in the 'Network Selection' settings of your mobile select 'manual' instead of 'auto'. Your mobile will search for available networks. This could take a couple of minutes. Select Vodafone and you will receive an error message similar to 'Connection Failed'. Repeat this again, but select O2 and you will receive a 'Success' or 'connected' message or something similar.

• This manual network selection may also do the trick if you're not receiving OTP codes to your device. If the problem persists, we'd advise contacting the 3rd party responsible for sending the codes for checks on their end.

• Provided there are no network faults in your area (use the link below to check) and your mobile or sim card are not faulty, then any undelivered texts should be delivered to your mobile within a few minutes.
    https://status.o2.co.uk/

• If you are experiencing problems with just a single contact, it is more than likely that the number has accidently been blocked or added to the reject list either by yourself or the other person. Reject lists can be seperate in text and call settings so it is important to check ✔ both lists, both by yourself and the other person. Check ✔ the lists in the phone messaging app settings and the call settings menu.
45 Comments
MI5
  • 143182 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions
Nice guide mate.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Brilliant useful guide my friend 

Cleoriff
  • 122117 Posts
  • 823 Topics
  • 7456 Solutions

Excellent guide @jonsie

Can it go into the Index of guides please?

jonsie
  • 92812 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6909 Solutions

Need to ask @EmilieT or @Marjo

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22907 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3658 Solutions

Well done @jonsie

BobM
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 4277 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi @jonsie.  Can I ask you to check the numbers again because I think you may have them the wrong way round?  I'm Pay Monthly and mine ends in '332' and not '035' as stated.    I assume '035' is actually the Pay & Go.    Hope that helps,   Cheers.

jonsie
  • 92812 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6909 Solutions

Yes @BobM you are perfectly correct and I will ask that it be edited.

Thank you Hero

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35049 Posts
  • 221 Topics
  • 1557 Solutions

Great work, @jonsie.

Sometimes, (force) stopping and restarting the SMS app on Android can force it to release any messages, I have found.

I detect a guide in the making, @Marjo... 

BobM
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 4277 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

No problem @jonsie.   Glad I could help.

Cleoriff
  • 122117 Posts
  • 823 Topics
  • 7456 Solutions

@jonsie

Looks even better now it's been updated. Well done.

@Marjo@Martin-O2@EmilieT, could this go in the Index of Community Guides please...so they are easy to find and in one place?

INDEX OF COMMUNITY GUIDES

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Thanks a lot @jonsie for creating this very helpful guide! Much appreciated. Awesome to see some collaboration too around the information.

Yes we'll add this to the index of guides @Cleoriffthumbsup

Thanks!

Omid
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

hello everybody

I have a question for you:

how can i recieve an important SMS using My O2

I have lost my mobile, and can't find it.

On the other hand I am awaiting an SMS.

Could enybody help?

MI5
  • 143182 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions

Sorry @Omid but unless you already have a text program on your PC and linked to your phone, it is not possible.

Omid
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

hi MI5

how could i get a text program on my PC ?

MI5
  • 143182 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions

Mighty Text is one but no good to you now.

jonsie
  • 92812 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6909 Solutions

myms also works a treat but Mightytext is the better of the two.

JakesPlace
  • 13 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Sorry, I am not very tecnically minded, this is a new phone to me.

I have gone into messages; into settings - But, unable to find where the above number is?? Message Center - what other option could it be under, please?  (Pay Monthly)

I can sent to other UK numbers - not Italian friends. I can call and speak to them; no numbers are blocked. 

HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLP

Cleoriff
  • 122117 Posts
  • 823 Topics
  • 7456 Solutions

Hi @JakesPlace

To find message centre number go into Messages> Message settings> More settings and click on Text Messages ....this will then show you your message centre number

JakesPlace
  • 13 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Sorry, I am not seeing it.

Messages > Message Settings >>>>

My options are: Default AMS app - change app; Notifications - sound or vibrate; Outgoing message sound - on/off; current country; smart reply; auto preview; advanced

Advanced: group messaging; auto downloand MMS - on/off; simple characters - on/off; SMS delivery rpt - on/off; service messages - on/off; emergency alerts; SIM card messages; phone number ( unknown !)

Many, Many Thanks

jonsie
  • 92812 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6909 Solutions

If you can send texts to others in the uk then your messae centre number is correct. It ca only be the country code or that the receipient's network not handling O2 texts.

To check message centre number on android if there is no option in the message settings ::

Type *#*#4636#*#* into your phone on the dial screen then dial. Select Phone information. Scrolldown and select the SMSC setting which gives you the message centre number.

Cleoriff
  • 122117 Posts
  • 823 Topics
  • 7456 Solutions

@jonsieIt might be an idea to pop the code in the guide in case we have this again?

jonsie
  • 92812 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6909 Solutions

Good idea smiling

JakesPlace
  • 13 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have texted several UK mobile numbers (different providers) = All received.

Sent a few texts to international numbers (Italy & Germany) = NOT recieved!

Tried On-line chat - not working!!!

Please can anybody suggest any solutions  - Many Thanks

paul73
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

ok tx s just started to work again. from all the blogs here i may have a dirty sim and sim fitting with an intermittant fault but all ok  for now. wow !!!  will give it a careful clean soon . thanks for all  who  do this.  stay safe . 

Cleoriff
  • 122117 Posts
  • 823 Topics
  • 7456 Solutions

Well done @paul73 

jonsie
  • 92812 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6909 Solutions

Excellent @paul73 

Chunkie62
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Used the sim clean and manual select no change

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11959 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1119 Solutions

There are known issues with texts if you have changed sims recently and/or ported your number.

Cleoriff
  • 122117 Posts
  • 823 Topics
  • 7456 Solutions

Or had a new phone, some with older phones. Not just one type of phone as we first thought. iPhones and Samsung. all included

alice5
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Still not working.😔
MI5
  • 143182 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions

You'll need to call O2 then @alice5 

Numbers here Guide: Coronavirus Community Help and Support 

Liz35
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you @jonsie , it's worked

Jaygee13
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

On my phone smsc is showing as "+447802000332",145. 

Is the comma and 145 suppose to be they?

MI5
  • 143182 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions

@Jaygee13 

No it's not.

Do you have a Pixel 6?

Jaygee13
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Sony Xperia 1 ii. Not receiving some text messages. 

MI5
  • 143182 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions

@Jaygee13 

I suspect it maybe a recent Android update causing the issue as user with Oppo and Pixel devices have also reported it.

Jaygee13
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Only seems to be some OTP 5 Digit phone number texts. But it's very selective, getting texts for my tracker on my motorbike, but none from other like banking app or Amazon. It's very strange behaviour. I going to put sim in my older Xperia 1i and see if I get texts then.

Uk74
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

hi jonsie. 

i cant receive texts and when i checked the network it said the following, could this be why im not receiving texts?

Our Network can get busy in this area.

This means your data could be slower than normal. We’re sorry about that. Our team is aware and working to make it better. Our top tips for staying connected would be to find local Wifi hotspots and download whatever content you need whilst connected to Wifi, so you can still enjoy it on the move.

pgn
  • 35049 Posts
  • 221 Topics
  • 1557 Solutions

That message is talking to Data, as far as I can see, @Uk74 - SMS normally does not rely on the data component of your cellphone service, and as O2 roll out SMS over WiFi, that could change.

Hank
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

can someone tell me if o2 is down. i cant send text messages......im receiving them but not allowed to send. thank you

pgn
  • 35049 Posts
  • 221 Topics
  • 1557 Solutions

Guide: Is the network down for me or everyone? Might help, @Hank - all good for me.

There is a more detailed guide here: Guide: How can I sort out my network issues? 

Good luck.

Allsharps
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Sorry but am I just being an idiot.  I have just sent a message with *0# and I received for the first time  an automated message saying it was delivered.  
Moments later I got the usual  “Message send failure” which is driving me crazy . Surely there is something else I can do on my iPhone SE (I never had this issue with EE?). I don’t have some of the recommended ideas on my iPhone ie the one about going to messages and message settings and more settings and text messages (maybe that’s on android??)

MI5
  • 143182 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions

@Allsharps 

As per your main thread, the phones software is trying to do that and cannot be turned off.

The problem lies in the fact that O2 don't support the feature hence why it wasn't a problem on EE.

pgn
  • 35049 Posts
  • 221 Topics
  • 1557 Solutions

Seems like there is a particular issue with OTP SMS and receiving them when they come from a shortcode (5- or 6- digit Common Short Code) sender.

This is causing frustration and driving away customers early-on in the contract:

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly/not-receiving-certain-texts-such-as-verification-codes-2-f...

Willy
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have tried all these and it still won't work