Did you mean: 

How to change your mobile number

SamsungFanBoy
Level 13: Prompter
  • 256 Posts
  • 69 Topics
  • 5 Solutions

Get a new O2 mobile number

You can do this by simply calling customer services on 202 (Pay Monthly) or 4445 (Pay as you go).

O2 will allow you one free mobile number change should you wish to change it.

After that you will be charged a one off fee of £35.00 if you want to change again.

Things to keep in mind: 

• If you call to change your number and call from the number you want to change, the call will get disconnected as part of the process. The number change is processed and a new number is auto-allocated, which disconnects the existing number immediately.
  • If you can call from an alternate number, you will be able to finish the conversation and get the new number from the advisor. Otherwise, you will have to call someone to find out what your new number is once it’s complete.

Community_STS_0.png
Community_STS_1.png Community_STS_2.png

Change your O2 mobile number to your previous number

Alternatively, if you have a SIM card from another provider which you don't use anymore and is still active, you can transfer your number across to your current O2 SIM card free of charge by calling one of the above customer service numbers after obtaining your PAC code.

You can do this by texting PAC to 65075. More information on that process in our Guide: How to get your PAC [June 2021 Update] and Guide: Migration & porting into O2.

I want to keep my number, but am getting a lot of unwanted calls: what can I do?

If you'd rather keep your current O2 number but you're getting nuisance calls, you can register with the Telephone Preference Service (TPS) for free and will dramatically reduce cold calls from companies after 28 days. This service is free of charge.

Register by visiting the website or by texting TPS and your email address to 85095.

It is also worth noting that most modern smartphones have a call block feature which will block all calls and texts from a number. Settings differ from handset to handset so please check your user guide to find out how if you don't know. Once the call block is in place, the person you've blocked will be diverted straight to your O2 Voicemail. If you want to switch that service off and have O2 Call Alert instead which notifies you of missed calls when your phone is switched off or out of service then call 1710 free from your O2 handset.

More info on this in our Guide: A Guide to Deal with Spam/Scam Calls and Text.

23 Comments
Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122117 Posts
  • 823 Topics
  • 7456 Solutions
Nice guide @SamsungFanBoy. Very helpful slight_smile
Poppysmum
Level 19: Quirky
  • 1332 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 7 Solutions

Good Guide slight_smile

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10628 Posts
  • 118 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Nice guide @SamsungFanBoy 

jonsie
  • 92812 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6909 Solutions

Good guide @SamsungFanBoy 

If I could just suggest a footnote.

If you change your number because of nuisance or threatening calls, it is advisable to never associate your new number with any social media apps such as Facebook, Messenger etc. Any other social apps where a text is sent to your phone will already be registered with your old number. Changing your number won't affect those existing apps.

Also be very careful who you share the new number with.

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Awesome guide @SamsungFanBoy ! Thanks for putting this together.

We've added this to the Guide Mentions, so when linking to it, you can just type # and "number" and it should easily come up! slight_smile

SamsungFanBoy
Level 13: Prompter
  • 256 Posts
  • 69 Topics
  • 5 Solutions
Sorry for the late response but thanks guys! I've been stupidly busy of late and haven't been on here as much!
TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10628 Posts
  • 118 Topics
  • 344 Solutions
Hi @SamsungFanBoy
No problem understood working.
Actually your guide is very helpful as quite a few distress posts have been put up just recently whereby o2 customers are receiving a huge amount of calls daily. To the point of distraction. I have just been reading it myself but hopefully won't need to take drastic action yet.
jonsie
  • 92812 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6909 Solutions

The recent spate of spam/scam calls are apparently down to O2's filters and so we're actually hoping this is a quick fix and customers won't need to change number. I expect O2 will refund any charges due to their system failure.

Star45
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I am trying to bring my 3 network number to O2 but it is not working.
I have first tried on Monday, still not done so tried again yesterday but now it is giving error message.
Cleoriff
  • 122117 Posts
  • 823 Topics
  • 7456 Solutions

@Star45 

Did you follow this advice?

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-sims-and-devices/how-to-keep-your-mobile-number 

If still having issues then you need to contact customer services Guide: How to find help & contact O2 

Star45
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Yes that’s exactly the form I have used. But it has been two days still no change.
Cleoriff
  • 122117 Posts
  • 823 Topics
  • 7456 Solutions

@Star45 

Due to the current crisis, systems are running are very very slow. Need to be patient I'm afraid.

Star45
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
If it is only system issue, that’s fine I can wait. I was just worried whether I followed right procedure or not. Thank you for all the information.
Li
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi I really need to change my number due to harassment and abusive calls non stop but no1 is picking up the phone when I call 202
MI5
  • 143182 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions
Melissa01
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thank you for the help 👍
gert51
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

contacted o2 yesterday to change number as being harresed to send money to someone in america, was told to switch phone off and on a few times and new number would be avaiable within 24hrs  now sunday night and nothing what next would you advise

Cleoriff
  • 122117 Posts
  • 823 Topics
  • 7456 Solutions

@gert51 

Call them again.....

All numbers are in this guide Guide: Coronavirus Community Help and Support 

Tashabee2121
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi all will my number change instantly when requesting a number change? I know they say up to 24hours but When's the soonest I can expect it to change 

Chalkdog
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi All,

Im new to 02 & seem to be having trouble porting my no. accross? I can receive calls on my old no. but when calling or messaging out, they see a different 02 no?

I have tried to contact 02, but am having difficulty speaking to anyone:(

Any help or advise would be appreciated 

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11959 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1119 Solutions

Sounds like one of 2 things @Chalkdog 

Either you have a split port (where the full number has not moved from your old provider), or your phone still has the original number somewhere.

Check Settings-Phone-My number is showing the correct number. If not, change it, save and reboot.

Edited to add:

Try the number on the phone first. If that solves it, great.
If not you will need to get in touch with customer services, either by calling 202 (if you pay monthly) or 4445 (if you are pay as you go).

Alternatively you can message on social media using the links below:

(Twitter | Instagram | Facebook)

lusername27
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi 
If I was to do this method, would I be able to keep all text history, whatsapp history and contacts? If so would I then be able to delete the contacts who I do not want and they would not have my new number ?

MI5
  • 143182 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions

Yes @lusername27