cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant mobile calls interference and getting worse

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi there,
My problem is that often when making calls whether it is to a landline or a mobile, regardless of who the mobile phone provider is, people cannot understand what I am saying, they say I am 'garbled' or I'm 'breaking up' or I sound as if I am 'under water', or they only hear staccato portions of any words and cannot make out what I am saying. This used to happen occasionally and we all have this experience sometimes I am sure no matter which network we are with. However, this problem is become increasingly frequent to the point that it is having a serious effect - I can't rely on being able to speak to my friend's and more importantly, my family when I want to and need to as 2 out of 3 times it is impossible to have a conversation with them. Also, when I do have a successful conversation with them, often, it will deteriorate at some point during the conversation to a point of such frustration that we end up hanging up. Should they then try and ring me, the problem is still there. When this problem isn't apparent, calls are great and conversations are completely clear and concise.
I have tried rebooting my phone, going into another room, turning off my laptop, disabling wireless and bluetooth on the phone, none of it does any good.
This problem is getting so bad that I am now very seriously considering changing to another provider. I have emailed 02 support today regarding this problem and what they come back with will decide me on whether or not I will explore other providers.
The area I live in is supposed to have excellent 02 mobile phone coverage.
Anyone else having this issue? Anyone know what causes this problem?
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3327 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions
How old is your phone? I ask because I've noticed over the years the age of the battery makes a difference.
You could always try 2G only and see how that goes.
Message 2 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for your reply - the phone is the HTC Wildfire - I've only had it since November. I do remember having this problem with my last mobile as well, though it is fair to say that the problem has become worse since I got the phone, but I do feel that it is just coincidental and not a problem with the phone. I don't know what you mean about using 2G only..?
Message 3 of 11

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3327 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions
Your phone might be set to pick up the 3G signal by default and if there is heavy congestion with other 3G phones in the area, that would be more likely the cause as effectively you're all fighting for a slot!
Somewhere in the settings, you can select the network to be 2G (which is what o2 & Vodafone have their masts on originally), 3G or other. Haven't got an Android so someone else will need to confirm where it lives.
Message 4 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ah I see, thank you very much - I will check it out.
Message 5 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
That info is correct. reset your phone to 2G can cure lots of problems. wink
Message 6 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
If 3G is so bad, makes you wonder what the point of it is...
I have looked all over the phone several times and can see nothing that makes any reference to 2G or 3G anywhere in any setting or app.
Message 7 of 11

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
look for gsm only that is 2g if it says utms that is 3g or wcdma is 3g
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 8 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ah! Thanks very much. I've found it now thanks to your advice slight_smile
It was set to gsm/wcdma auto so have now changed it to gsm.
Thanks again.
Message 9 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Might be worth asking o2 for a replacement sim card too.
Message 10 of 11