Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calls from the UK to EU country

Adacymru
Level 1: Joiner
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I received my bill for October 2018 airtime with extra charge for one call of 60 min for £81.60 to an EU country from the UK. I accept my fault for not checking that those calls would not come out of my tariff allowance (although if I was in an EU country and called the UK number, I would be charged £0, madness!!!) but for £81.60 I could fly from the UK to another EU country, stay overnight in a hotel, have a day long chat face to face, and fly back. £81.60 for an hour call is nothing but extortionate and feels more like punishment for making the call than a reasonable charge for such service. I could appreciate such charges 15 or 20 years ago when using a mobile phone but not in this day and age. I appreciate that I did not purchase a bolt on for making international calls, and I could understand if O2 were to punish me for the lack of such bolt on, which costs £5 per month if purchased in advance of calls abroad, and charge me double that for my lack of forward thinking, in addition to O2 charges for such calls with Bolt-on, which are at present 5p/minute. I do not comprehend however how O2 can facilitate calls abroad with the said £5 bolt-on for 5 pence a minute but perceives it to be fair to charge someone 27 times higher tariff for a minute call without the £5 Bolt-on. I find this totally unreasonable. I tried to reason with the help-line staff to no avail. I've now made another attempt to appear to O2 better nature (it worked once before on another issue, so fingers crossed) and I've made a formal complaint, hoping for common sense to prevail. If I have to pay this charge, I've already checked and if we switched all contracts currently held with O2 within my household to another provider, I can recoup that charge within a month or two, so I will get my money back somehow. This however leaves a very bitter taste, how a provider can apply such extortionate and totally unreasonable charges to a loyal customer (I've been with O2 since the first mobile phone I had, and that was probably more then 15 years ago).

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

Adacymru
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I couldn't even get an answer on the chat. I'd say write to their commplaint email address, worse that would happen is that they refuse again. Good luck!!!

Message 11 of 12

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Calling is the best option, chat aren't very flexible at the best of times. There is no basis for a complaint as the charges were correctly applied.

Message 12 of 12