Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unboxing the X1, Happy 10th birthday Sony Xperia

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions

Many phones have sat upon my desk this past few months, Autumn really is becoming the season for exciting tech, but one thing was much, much harder to find, and that was the Xperia X1, the first Xperia.

i could have gone to ebay or gumtree no doubt or even CEX and found one, but in the early summer this year, i set about finding a sealed, new, boxed Xperia X1.

knowing that October 2008 was the release date, I knew i had to get one before then in order to get it here in time for the day, luckily a retro phone store in Germany had 2 still sealed, unlocked and brand spanking new.

in summer, it arrived.

and now, just purely for a lot of nostalgia, a little bit of curiosity and mainly to see how far we've came, on exactly the 10th birthday the Xperia brand was released in the UK.

Let's unbox the Sony Xperia X1.

DSC05958.jpg

DSC05963.jpg

The front and back of the box.

When it arrived, the side seal had split a little, to prevent more splitting I ran one line of tape along the length. I always knew i was gonna unbox it so no devalue issues or anything.

DSC05961.jpg

Breaking the seal.

DSC05979.jpg

Inside we find this fantastic double opening box partition withthe Xperia logo designed across it.

DSC05981.jpg

Opening the partition box reveals two seperate boxes (well 3, as one sits below the device box) a box for accessories, and a box for the device.

DSC05983.jpg

All boxes out of the main outer box.

DSC05985.jpg

Box contents.

Power adapter

Battery

stylus spare

usb power cable

headphones

DSC05986.jpg

a 10 year old battery looking good

DSC05987.jpg

A funky metal/plastic stylus.

DSC05991.jpg

A 3rd box contains the many, many pages of information that I know EVERYONE reads.

DSC05990.jpg

As well as the many info books, there is also a CD Rom* with software.

*kids, a CD-Rom is a storage method used for storing of drivers and software before the cloud.

and now the device..

DSC05994.jpg

DSC05996.jpg

DSC06001.jpg

DSC06004.jpg

DSC06008.jpg

3.2mp camera and removable battery behind a brushed aluminium shell, how very forward thinking...

DSC06014.jpg

Sd card and sim slots, the X1 could handle SD cards up to an impressive 16gb.

DSC06017.jpg

A mini USB port for charging, innovative in an age where mass adoption of the USB standard wasn't a thing yet.

DSC06018.jpg

Volume rocker and headphone port adorn the other side

DSC06025.jpg

it's a long time since i saw this boot logo...

DSC06027.jpg

DSC06031.jpg

that's right, Xperia started a s a Windows 6.1 device. 
DSC06035.jpg

The Xperia key opened up a selection of your most use apps or saved panels, similar to how the ''recent'' button works on Android, or how Side sense works on Xperia XZ3.

DSC06039.jpg

DSC06040.jpg

Opening the keyboard puts the device into landscape mode, this doubled with the stylus meant more screen real estate for the ui, and less for on screen keyboards.

DSC06041.jpg

The backlit keyboard was set in a qwerty typeset and included all keys including an oversized space bar.

DSC06042.jpg

The album app was, well it was basic, but this theming carried through many devices, even early android based Xperia.

DSC06045.jpg

DSC06047.jpg

DSC06050.jpg

DSC06054.jpg

some more from the UI.

i hope you've enjoyed this look at the first Xperia, it may not be as in depth as many of my reviews but i feel more emphasis on the look and the unboxing was warrantied for this special look at a device celebrating its 10th birthday.

now to box it back up and open it again in another 10 years..

Happy birthday Sony Xperia!!

7 Comments