cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nokia Lumia 1020 On-Going Review (Part of the 'Try the Tech' trials)

DinoF
Level 12: Nimble
  • 603 Posts
  • 39 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

As part of O2's 'Try the Tech' trials, I am testing the Nokia Lumia 1020 handset so apologies as this is gonna be lengthy…!!

Thought I would post up an ongoing review as think this would be best as I can then post my thoughts as and when I come across various things which I like and don't like about his phone...! Perhaps a little biased, I don’t know, but my review is going to have comparisons to my current iPhone 5 (I have never used a Lumia or any kind of Windows phone before).

Firstly, my initial impressions of the phone are that it is quite large..!! It doesn’t seem to want to fit my hand very well (I am the type of user who likes to hold his phone in one hand only and have never been a 2 handed phone user! I grip my phone in my right hand, bottom right of phone is held by palm of hand, forefinger is behind the phone supporting it, middle finger, ring finger and ‘pinky’ fingers grip the left edge and my thumb is free to navigate the screen) – I have to stretch my thumb to reach the top corners of the screen..!!  Also, the fact that the phone is square and the corners are not very rounded, doesn’t really give a comfortable grip! I quite like the size of the current iPhone 5 screen - I can reach all parts of the screen with my thumb without having to over stretch.

The screen of the Lumia, is another strange one…?!  This is probably not going to make much sense but I am initially finding it to be too smooth for my thumb!  By this a mean that when my thumb tip touches the screen to navigate it, its as if as soon as it touches the screen, it kinda slides away from the point where its actually making the impact (that makes no sense!!!). So, trying to text on it – my thumb comes down over the top of the letter ‘a’ for example but because the screen is silky smooth, when my thumb touches the screen on the ‘a’, it kinda wants to slide all over the place so I might actually touch the keys around the ‘a’ and not the ‘a’ itself….!  On my iPhone 5, the screen tends to have a very slight drag to it so when you navigate the screen, there is a very slight resistance so you feel as though you are actually dragging things around. With the Lumia, there appears to be no resistance at all - I don’t get the same feeling that I am actually dragging screens across because my thumb is just effortlessly gliding across the screen instead..?! Definitely a different feeling altogether…!!!

That’s is for now as these are just my very first initial thoughts on opening the box and having a ‘play’ for the first hour or so..!

Will post further updates on the interface as and when I have used it for a little longer…!!

21 Comments