Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just putting it out there....

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93262 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

As much as I am proud of the men and ladies who saved this country and fought and died for us, personally, taking into consideration the recent tragic events, I'm thinking that we should stop these air displays and just go to admire the airplanes that were something to be marvelled at and thankful for, in the museums now.

I myself collected models of the Spitfire, Hurricanes, Lancaster bombers be it Airfix  models or silver statuettes and indeed still have a beautiful silver Spitfire ornament that I would never give away or sell. Every time I go to visit my son I gaze in awe of the massive Spitfire monument in Darwen though I have no knowledge of the role Darwen, Lancashire had in the manufacture of the fighter plane that saved this country. I can only think it serves as a reminder of the brave pilots that fought so valiantly for all of the UK.

To be honest, air displays are not safe these days. Every tragedy just brings it home how these brave men took their lives in hand every day to serve this country well. No more, enough people have died and fine aircraft lost forever. Never forget but go and pay respect in the museums. We don't need to see them flying or to see the public and young men risking their lives.

Maybe it's an age thing but as a son whose father flew these planes, I will never ever forget.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-34174822

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20

Cleoriff
  • 123405 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7476 Solutions

I agree that old planes should be admired in a museum @jonsie (or transported to airshows and put on ground display only)

Despite protestations from air experts that they are capable of flying and undertaking stunts, recent tragic events have proved otherwise.  I have been to many airshows. Sadly, I doubt I would want to go again....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting points of view in this thread. 

The same sort arguments could be advanced for banning some sports - motor and motor cycle racing (especially road races in the case of bikes); boxing, rugby etc where serious injuries are quite frequent occurrences not to mention deaths.  Any injury or death is to be very much regretted but when you take into account for example the total number of planes engaged in air displays and the number of hours spent flying and the total miles flown, the number of accidents/casualties is remarkably small. Flying in all its manifestations is probably still a lot safer than travelling by car.  Of course it may be possible to further reduce risks by stricter control of where and when air displays may be undertaken and the type of manoeuvres that are permitted etc.

It is good to have access to vintage aircraft in museums but it is also quite spectacular to see and hear them in their working environment, that is in flight.        

Message 3 of 21

Cairdeas
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 3570 Posts
  • 34 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Having been to one air show and enjoyed it immensely I would be sad to see them stopped. I agree that safety is a big issue now, but from what I've heard it was human error that caused the last tragedy. They really need to demand that the pilots stick to the rules and don't go pulling stunts hundreds of feet lower than safety limits state. Having said that..I'm reluctant now to go to another as many people are, so maybe they've had their day now x

giphy-3
Message 4 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have mixed feelings.  I don't have a problem with fly pasts, but I do think aerobatics using old planes should be stopped.

How do other people feel about the Red Arrows and other display teams?  Personally I think they should carry on.  I saw them at Goodwood a few years ago and they were amazing.  It'll be a very sad day if they are grounded.

Message 5 of 21

Cleoriff
  • 123405 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7476 Solutions

I have absolutely no problem with the Red Arrows. They fly planes designed for speed and agility They have always flown whichever aircraft is in service... currently the BAE Hawk T1

The pilots are trained with modern planes to fly displays as a side issue to their main job in the RAF

The old planes were not specifically designed to do aerobatics in the sky. I know there have been accidents with the Red Arrows but considering the amount of displays they fly, these accidents are few and far between.

This is purely my personal opinion ...obviously @Anonymous

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

My thoughts exactly @Cleoriff.  I know a lot of people would rather the Red Arrows were grounded but to me they are something to be proud of.

Message 7 of 21

Cleoriff
  • 123405 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7476 Solutions

I would say over the years we have seen the Red Arrows fly at airshows (or special occasions) many many times. Always gives me such a feeling of pride....and amazement.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 21

jonsie
  • 93262 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

My point is that people, be it pilots, F1 Drivers, Boxers or whatever the contact sport, are happy to risk life and limb, many are paid vast amounts of money to do it and are insured for their families well being should the unfortunate happen.

Another point is that as wonderful a sight it is to see these pioneering aircraft flying in all their glory, recently members of the public are being killed, some just driving along a motorway without a care in the world.

Message 9 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie wrote:

My point is that people, be it pilots, F1 Drivers, Boxers or whatever the contact sport, are happy to risk life and limb, many are paid vast amounts of money to do it and are insured for their families well being should the unfortunate happen.

Another point is that as wonderful a sight it is to see these pioneering aircraft flying in all their glory, recently members of the public are being killed, some just driving along a motorway without a care in the world.

As ever @jonsie  you make a telling point!  It is hard to justify further aerobatice displays in light of the recent terrible event. In my view the same cogency applies to the continued sale of alcoholic beverages bearing in mind the contribution they make to the appalling carnage on our roads.

Message 10 of 21