Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What just updated?

paulbacon
Level 7: Part Timer
  • 436 Posts
  • 69 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Just rebooted my S5 and during the startup got a blackscreen with "application updating" then "configuring apps" in the middle. After a few minutes the phone did that and was back to normal.

Few things to note tho. I have "automatically check for updates" unticked. Im running 5.0 but still on that version and everything else (kernal version, build version, KNOX etc are the same) so my questions are

1) What did it update?

2) Why did it do it if auto updates are turned off for both system and app updates

Ta

Edit: I do have " update security policies automatically" ticked, not sure what this is tho and how you would know if that updated

Message 1 of 15
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Could have been Google Play services updating.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Forced security updates will over-ride user settings - Stagefright patch for example.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 15

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Just seen your edit so most likely a Knox update - Latest is 2.4.1

Currently using:
Message 3 of 15

paulbacon
  • 436 Posts
  • 69 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Im on KNOX 2.3 still, not sure if that is the security policy thing in question.

Only rebooted the phone when it said Play Services wasnt installed even though it was

Message 4 of 15

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Could have been Google Play services updating.....

Currently using:
Message 5 of 15

paulbacon
  • 436 Posts
  • 69 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Yea i was thinking that.

http://i.stack.imgur.com/nWIm0.jpg - That appeared when trying to access an app and the reason i rebooted. Then that updating message thing appeared so maybe it was as you say Play updating
Message 6 of 15

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Seems most likely, esp with the "application updating" message too.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 15

paulbacon
  • 436 Posts
  • 69 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Cheers will see if it appears again so far everything seems ok

Cheers for the help
Message 8 of 15

paulbacon
  • 436 Posts
  • 69 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Out of interest how does Google Play update? Its never on the app list and does it automatically, but from a new version coming out can take awhile to get it.

Just read 5.10 came out last week but im still on 5.9.12
Message 9 of 15

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
It's a system app so sometimes you get a notification to update it and sometimes it just does it itself.
Updates are also by region so we may be slightly behind in comparison to other regions.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 15