cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has my Sim Swap Worked correctly??

Anonymous
Not applicable

hi, this might just be one of thoughs things, but i thought id better check and see, just case someone else has had this happen and its been a fault. basically my old sim turned out to be faulty, after i spoke to an o2 agent on here they tried to communicate with the sim after me not being able to get online anywhere, and the sim was not responding to the comands. so they sent a new sim out to me. i went to the sim swap page and as they dont tell you which sim serial number to enter, i entered my old sim, got my code, thought all was well, but no, 3 days leter my sim was still active. so i went back to the sim swap page thinking i entered the wrong serial, this time i entered the new sim serial number, got my code and waited, again nothing.

so today i spoke to an o2 agent again on here who sorted this out for me and was very good aswel, 10 out of 10 for them. my old sim stopped working 2 hours later so i popped my new sim in, and asked my mum and a few friends to text me on my old number (from the old sim) and i got there messages and calls ok. however theres one thing iv noticed that has not changed.

the phone number for the new card has not changed. i have a Samsung Galaxy Note GT-N7000, i can check the status of the sim, network etc on it, if i go into sim status, the number the card was programmed with is still appearing, instead of my old number which i wanted to keep as i already passed it around. is this normal???

i initially thought that doing a sim swap, being told your number would also be swapped, this meant your sim card was re flashed or reprogrammed with the new info, but now it seems all they do is mask the new sim with your old sim details, i mean surely the sim wont work using both number old and new??

i could be way off the mark here iv never done a sim swap so iv no idea.

but i take my hat off to o2 customer services on here, they honestly cant do enough for you to help.

Message 1 of 13
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 148716 Posts
  • 640 Topics
  • 28438 Solutions
Phone numbers...
Neo has only 1 number which is his old number.
The new SIM is programmed with a number (the one you would use if you didn't do a SIM swap).
He has SIM swapped and his number has ported over but the porting process does not physically write a new number to the SIM so android is reading the original SIM number which is now defunct from a network pov.
Some phones (mainly old Nokia's) allow you to write to that part of the SIM so you can change it. Android doesn't allow it.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Neo63,

A person would typically either pick up a blank sim card from an o2 shop or have one sent out to them.

The process of a sim swap will transfer your original number and tariff from your old sim card ,to your new blank sim card.

This is for example if your current sim is faulty or you have changed handsets which uses a different sized sim card. ie : Normal sim to Nano sim card.

After the process is carried out the service should stop on your old sim card ,and will not work at all , and then your new sim card becomes live with your tariff and mobile number.

The process takes from a couple of hours to approx 24 hours to fully activate.

Typically turning a phone off and on helps reset the process.

Their a two ways to accomplish the sim swap process which is either by the swapmysim link or texting swap to 20220.

After inserting your new SIM card in your phone and when somebody rings your usual mobile number do they get through to you ?

If not them the sim swap has failed.

If not then ring Customer Services for assistance on 202 Contract or 4445 payg to ask for a blank sim card, or if you can pick one up at your local store. At the local o2 store they will carry out the process for you.
Message 2 of 13

MI5
  • 148716 Posts
  • 640 Topics
  • 28438 Solutions
The number on the sim will not change unless you change it manually.
You can't do it on an android device - You need something like an old Nokia that has a SIM write facility.
It won't make any difference to the phones functions so I wouldn't worry about it......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 3 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for both replies. But the first is of no use to me. As iv already expalined above. The sim swap HAS been done. however the phone number on the new sim has not been changed. Yet people can still get through to me on it using my old number.

The second reply is handy but again of no use. As i dont have any old phones....but thank you both anyway. The main thing is its working so i cant really complain
Message 4 of 13

MI5
  • 148716 Posts
  • 640 Topics
  • 28438 Solutions
If you ask in a friendly O2 store they may do it for you.
Message 5 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
 however the phone number on the new sim has not been changed. Yet people can still get through to me on it using my old number.

If you have asked to sim swap you shouldn't have two numbers. The number that was on the old sim will be swapped to the new sim, they don't give you an intermediate number whilst this process takes place.

I'm confused.

Message 6 of 13

MI5
  • 148716 Posts
  • 640 Topics
  • 28438 Solutions
It's just the way android reads the sim - It's not a dual number issue....
Message 7 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Are we talking sim serial numbers or phone numbers? The way the orginal post reads sounds like Neo63 has two phone numbers now?

@Anonymous wrote:

...asked my mum and a few friends to text me on my old number (from the old sim) and i got there messages and calls ok...  

...the phone number for the new card has not changed. ... 

...i initially thought that doing a sim swap, being told your number would also be swapped, this meant your sim card was re flashed or reprogrammed with the new info, but now it seems all they do is mask the new sim with your old sim details, i mean surely the sim wont work using both number old and new??...

Message 8 of 13

MI5
  • 148716 Posts
  • 640 Topics
  • 28438 Solutions
Phone numbers...
Neo has only 1 number which is his old number.
The new SIM is programmed with a number (the one you would use if you didn't do a SIM swap).
He has SIM swapped and his number has ported over but the porting process does not physically write a new number to the SIM so android is reading the original SIM number which is now defunct from a network pov.
Some phones (mainly old Nokia's) allow you to write to that part of the SIM so you can change it. Android doesn't allow it.....
Message 9 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh i see!

I thought the sim cards were blanked until programmed with a number.

Message 10 of 13