cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC One user review - 2 week update

Anonymous
Not applicable

Further to my original post HTC One user review on this thread, here's an update after 2 weeks ownership - hope you all find it useful/interesting slight_smile

Two week update – Sense 5

• Blinkfeed

Completely forgot to mention this in the original post – Doh!! Similar to Windows 8 in appearance, and Flipboard in function except you don’t have to open the app to get at all your chosen content. It sits as your default home screen so it’s there each time you unlock the phone and gives instant access to the latest posts from your favourite media (social, news etc.) One of the things I love about Android is the ability to change the look of your phone whenever you choose – if you get bored with your home screen you can change it – Blinkfeed does this for you,  effectively giving  you a fresh view every time you unlock your phone (unless you can’t leave it alone, which is a problem I currently have with the One) If it’s not your thing then you can always opt to set a different home screen with your chosen apps/widgets a-la traditional Android. Personally I love it!

• HTC Zoe

Each time you take a picture in Zoe mode the camera takes a 3 second mini video, from which you can select/save any individual frame you choose as a still. What it also does is take all your images/videos from the days shooting and puts them in a ‘documentary’ type slideshow (complete with randomly chosen background music) which changes each time you view it: sometimes in colour, next in monochrome or with an old-time pathe news type effect – and all this is done automatically! You can, of course, switch Zoe off and just have standard images/videos. Brilliant!

• Boomsound

I tend to do a fair amount of driving to places I am unfamiliar with so regularly use the navigation app on my phone. One thing I have always found with using a phone for this purpose is that you just cannot hear the spoken instructions – speaker at the back of the unit so it’s talking to your windscreen! Not so with the One: Not only do you have the front facing speakers, Beats Audio also operates on all audio so you can even have the car stereo on at an audible level and still hear your sat-nav instructions slight_smile

• Battery life

I can now confidently  report that the battery will hold out for at least 24 hours with no power saving  options selected or ‘battery saver’ apps in use – wi-fi  is permanently  on, auto synch, location services etc. etc. likewise. I don’t use my phone for gaming or watching films so this may be irrelevant to the power users among us but for everyday use this is a big plus.

• CPU

Not sure if I am imagining this, but the phone seems to be getting faster – it reacts so quickly to input that if you accidently tap the screen you’re sometimes  left wondering whether the app you find yourself in was actually where you wanted to be! You would be hard-pressed to need a faster processor.

• Conclusion

Try it before you settle for anything else!

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143435 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
I am sooo tempted to try something different from my normal Samsung..... Just gotta get my hands on a S4 before I decide....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 18

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Just as good as the first pdmoulsher slight_smile

Nicely done!
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 3 of 18

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

You are making this phone sound very good! slight_smile

Top job Phil.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 4 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks again for the positive feedback guys slight_smile

Guess what - just like the original review I've forgotten something Smiley Frustrated - HTC's TV app:

Relatively easy to set-up, gives you control of your TV, DVD/home theatre and your chosen satellite box (Sky/Virgin etc., - in my case YouView) Bit of a gimmick 'cause it's basically the same as any IR multi-purpose remote which have been around for years, but on your phone, which in itself is a bonus - how often do you have to search for the remote (especially if you have kids - all the time right? But you always know where your phone is .......

Also, great for winding the wife up - she's sat there with all 3 remotes trying to figure out why the episode of Charmed she's watching suddenly turns in to the best of Top Gear - hilarious if slightly dangerous (I've not told her about this app yet Smiley Very Happy)

Decent and useful, a good addition to Sense.

Message 5 of 18

MI5
  • 143435 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

One could have fun with that slight_smile

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:

One could have fun with that slight_smile

Juvenile I know but most amusing! Smiley Very Happy

Have I persuaded you to turn yet mate? wink

Message 7 of 18

MI5
  • 143435 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

Almost - It's all down to me having a feel of the S4 wink

Currently using:
Message 8 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

Must be due for release soon - is there a date yet?

Message 9 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

26th of april isnt it

Message 10 of 18