cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting to BT home hub by wi-fi

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have just purchased a Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 and cannot get it to connect to my BT home hub by wi-fi.  It keeps trying to connect but fails repeatedly.  I have entered the password correctly.  can anyone give any advice please?

Message 1 of 43
42 REPLIES 42

Fellwalker
Level 9: Fired up
  • 245 Posts
  • 20 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Understood.  To find your channel.  The BT Home hub will connect using channels 1 to 13, but in automatic I find it is usually 1.  It says in its help

If you're still experiencing problems, change the channel setting from 'Automatic' to a new specific channel and as a guide we recommend selecting channel 1, 6 or 11, then click 'Apply'. (Again, you'll need to wait approximately one minute for your Hub to pick the new channel.) 

To get into the home hub, type in your browser address bar "http://bthomehub.home/" and use the admin password that is on the pull out (or base of the hub). It may prompt you to change it.  Then go to "Change the wireless network channel to avoid interference" and see what you've got.

Note 9. O2 since 2007.
Message 11 of 43

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I can see all of the options just as Fellwalker says but it just keeps on trying and failing to connect to my BT Hub.  It seems to be using channel 6 with Openzone and Fon (although the curve on the graph spans 4-8.  BT Wifi app is not helping as it is not recognising my password.  Thanks for your ongoing efforts to advise!

Message 12 of 43

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

If you're trying to connect to your BT Home Hub, it's the Hub wireless password you need, it's usually on the bottom of the Hub.

You BT Wi-fi one won't work and I doubt the BT Wi-fi app will either.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 13 of 43

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144393 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
Make sure you are trying to connect to the correct SSID, it will be something like BTHub3-QT5S and your log in will be a combo of upper & lower case letters and numbers. Usually provided on a plastic tag with your router on will be on the bottom of router. The upper/lower case is critical too.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 14 of 43

Anonymous
Not applicable
Going to drop my 2p's worth in here as I fell a little bit embarrassingly into this trap once before.

Double check you are entering the 'Wireless Key' as your password and not 'Wireless WPS PIN' or 'Admin Password'

Long shot but every little helps as they say.

Message 15 of 43

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the latest suggestions but I am using the correct password.  Going to try calling BT next.

Message 16 of 43

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, you say the graph curve shows 4-8. Is your router on "auto" where it will scan for the strongest channel?

I had a similar problem last year with wi-fi not connecting/dropping off the hub when using mobile. I went into the router settings and set a "fixed" channel i.e. took off auto and defined which channel number the router would use.

Touch wood, not had any problems since and it's connected to two laptops, two mobiles, a printer and a Sky box all through wi-fi.

Not saying this will cure the problem, but worth a try.

Message 17 of 43

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for this suggestion - tried it and still no good.  Took off the auto and tried 1, 6 and 11 as advised but it has made no difference.  I tried calling Samsung but the person I spoke to was less than helpful.  This is very odd - we have 3 laptops plus a tablet which all connect but Samsung smartphones will not.  I am baffled!

Message 18 of 43

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144393 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
What exactly is the error message or what happens on screen when the phone is trying to connect?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 19 of 43

Anonymous
Not applicable

At last - problem solved.  Thanks to all for trying to help but in the end I found the solution via an online Android Users forum. In case anyone is interested (or faces the same problem) it seems that every time someone logs on to your BT home hub it remembers the device and allocates an address.  So whenever visitors have come the hub has remembered the device and effectively clogged up all the space which was why I was unable to connect.  To remedy you need to access the home hub via pc and go to 'settings', then 'advanced settings', then 'home network' where you see a list of all the devices from the past (scary) and hit the'refresh' button which clears them all out.  I did this and my phone connected instantly. 

Message 20 of 43