cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting to BT home hub by wi-fi

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have just purchased a Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 and cannot get it to connect to my BT home hub by wi-fi.  It keeps trying to connect but fails repeatedly.  I have entered the password correctly.  can anyone give any advice please?

Message 1 of 43
42 REPLIES 42

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144688 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27733 Solutions
Reboot router and reboot phone. Clear the previous connection attemts from the phone by holding your finger on the connection and choose "forget", then rescan and try connecting again. Passwords are case sensitive so f and F are different and don't get o and 0 mixed up either. The wrong password is the most likely reason so check it again.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 43

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

You might also want to check your router channel. Sometimes if your channel is above 11 the phoine doesn't pick it up. Download Wifi Analyzer from the Playstore:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&feature=search_result#?t=W25...

InSIDDer will also help for your PC : http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

Message 3 of 43

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for this suggestion - I am downloading the WiFi app now
Message 4 of 43

Fellwalker
  • 245 Posts
  • 20 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@Matt50 You could also try the BT Wi-Fi app.  I've used it since I got my Nexus 4.  It will also connect you to BT hotspots whilst out and about.  Also BT Smart Talk is good if you have connected minutes or for 0800 or 08xx numbers.

Note 9. O2 since 2007.
Message 5 of 43

Anonymous
Not applicable

Downloaded App ok but still not able to connect.  My hub appears to be sharing channel space with BT Openzone but I don't know how to change the channel.  Can the app do this or do I need to change something on my BT hub?

Message 6 of 43

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks - I will try this to as I'm still unable to connect after downloading WiFi analyser
Message 7 of 43

MI5
  • 144688 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27733 Solutions
The openzone will be on the same channel. What channel is wifi anayliser saying it is using?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 43

Fellwalker
  • 245 Posts
  • 20 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@Matt50

It should not matter. If on your phone you go to your wifi settings, you can see each of the connection options.  On my Home Hub I have my Hub, BTWiFI, and BTWiFi-with-Fon all available.  I can also see my neighbours wifi.   I just press the one I want, and it tries to connect, when I put in my code.  I can set up all of them, so it remembers when I go out and about.

Using the BT WiFi app, I can get it to automatically connect to any BT wifi spot or to my hub.  If I have it running when I'm likely to use a hotspot, it will automatically connect to the strongest.

Note 9. O2 since 2007.
Message 9 of 43

MI5
  • 144688 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27733 Solutions

@Fellwalker wrote:

@Anonymous

It should not matter. If on your phone you go to your wifi settings, you can see each of the connection options.  

We have seen issues whereby the phone can see the SSID but if broadcasting above Ch 11 it won't connect - Just trying to establish what the issue is we are dealing with here......

Currently using:
Message 10 of 43