Did you mean: 

It's time to say goodbye

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

time-to-say-goodbye-sad-singing-will-ferrell-umaqgfk45nutv1ef.gif

After a 15 year career with O2, now Virgin Media O2, where for 10 of those years I was directly involved in the O2 Community in a professional capacity, my role is unfortunately being made redundant. Because of my time here, because of what I do and because so many of you know me, I didn't want to leave without a proper goodbye.

I was made aware my role was at risk a few weeks ago which is why you may have noticed a decline in my activities here while I worked things out and explored options to stay within VMO2, but sadly as it currently stands I'll be exiting the business on 15 December.

What now? Will the Community change?
I'll be winding down activities over the next few weeks but I leave you in the more than capable hands of @Dave-O2, and of course @ColinO2 will still be here too to oversee things. It's unlikely you'll see much/any major changes after I depart but what the future of the Community looks like - that'll be something that Colin and Dave will look at more closely I'm sure. Trust me when I say, we all know how important the Community is, how vital all of your support is, and it's absolutely a huge priority for Colin - so I have faith the Community will grow and get stronger over time, and I'd like to ask that you also keep that faith.

What will I do next?
I've got a couple of weeks of employment left with VMO2 where I can hopefully figure things out. Over the years I've built a lot of skills outside of my job description so if I can find a role at another company where I have the trust and freedom to combine all those things like I did with my current role, then that would be the dream.

Will I stick around on the O2 Community?

Absolutely - but in a purely personal capacity, and likely nowhere near as much. I'm proud of the work I've done on the O2 Community for over a decade - and whether it's pride, or maybe even a little ego, I want to keep my name associated with the good stuff I've done here, like my annual Apple Megathreads that have become a tradition and institution not just here but across the business, or my Scams guide that has the potential to help and support a massive number of customers.

Didn't you manage the Social Media team? What will happen there?

As some of you know, there's not just one team within the VMO2 Social Media function. I managed one of the teams (the one Dave's in). Another Chris, who manages another one of those teams will be ingesting my team - so you won't notice much/any change from a Social Media perspective and it'll be all business as usual across on Twitter (X), Facebook and Instagram - but other Chris's role will be 100% focused on supporting his team, so it's unlikely you'll see him around here.

I'll still be around for a couple more weeks but you'll likely see much less of me. Until I leave, please only tag me into anything you don't feel Dave can support with, but in his short time so far on the Community I have seen how well he has been able to integrate so I have every confidence that you're in good hands with him.

It's been a privilege and a pleasure being part of your community for all these years. Thank you for trusting the support and information I have provided, and a special thank you from me to all of our regulars who provide such a valuable service while asking for nothing in return. You'll always be the true heroes here.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

Oxonian
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 5904 Posts
  • 102 Topics
  • 22 Solutions

@Chris_K 

Sorry to see you go but I am sure that your experience in the role and the competencies that you have developed will see you back in work without too much delay.   

Message 11 of 19

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 36138 Posts
  • 229 Topics
  • 1604 Solutions

@Chris_K - wrenching news, but given the announcements in the last while from VMO2, unsurprising - such workforce reductions come in ways that usually defy any semblance of logic 🫤

All the best, and who knows what doors will open as this one shuts? The Forum is better for the time you gave it, and the void you leave behind, whilst significant, will slowly even out - in time. Good luck!

Message 12 of 19

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10776 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 348 Solutions

Hi @Chris_K 

Wishing you good luck for the future.

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 13 of 19

RunrigForever
Level 19: Quirky
  • 2215 Posts
  • 32 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Sad to hear this news @Chris_K 

Remember us having a private conversation about Glasgow when the Glasgow School of Art building caught fire ... I will have a Morton Roll when I visit the city hopefully sooner rather than later. There is a direct train service from Skipton to Glasgow Central.

Best Wishes in whatever you decide to do xx

***DESORMAIS***
Message 14 of 19

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12101 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1125 Solutions

Shocked and saddened to hear that @Chris_K - as others say, you have been a force for good for the community and will definitely be missed.

There must be something going round - neighbour on one side has been made redundant (but has since found another job) and the other side are currently at notice.

Don't be afraid to pop in - I'm sure you would be more than welcome to take part in some of the games, and your experience will definitely make you an expert in some of the inner goings on with VMo2!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 15 of 19

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

Thanks everyone for the thoughts and well wishes. Again I'll still be about for the next couple of weeks and if there's any business news or announcements, it's possible I may still be doing some of those unless I need to delegate it to Dave due to other things - but yeah, deffo lean more towards Dave for any support that folk may required.

@RunrigForever - earlier in the year all of Glasgow woke up to a collective gasp when Morton's announced they were closing down. A short while later a group of Glasgow business-folk got together to take the company over so I'm very happy that a crispy (or chewy...) Morton's roll is still a thing! Unfortunately though I very recently moved away from Glasgow to buy my first home they're a bit more difficult to find.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 16 of 19

RunrigForever
  • 2215 Posts
  • 32 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Chris_K 

Thank you for your lovely reply.

I will have 2 Morton Rolls, eaten 'on the hoof' ... = ... one crispy & one chewy.

In Skipton = A Yorkshire Fat Rascal a sort of scone / flat fruited tea bread with glace cherries for eyes. gently spiced. I slather it with best butter if I can resist until I get home.

I look forward to the Charles Rennie MaCintosh work in the city - visit Hill House. I have CRM inspired jewellery and various household items.

Again ..... you will be missed Chris ..... Best Wishes for future success xx 

***DESORMAIS***
Message 17 of 19

ComaChameleon
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 2208 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Sad to hear @Chris_K , especially during christmas time. But I'm pretty sure you will find a (better) new job. Fingers crossed for you 🫶

iPhone 14 Pro Max * 128 GB * Deep Purple * unlocked
iPad Pro 11" wifi * 128 GB * silver + Apple Pencil 2
Apple Watch Series 5 Nike+ (& Series 2)
MacBook Pro 15" 2018 + Magic Mouse 2
Apple TV 4K + HD
Home Pod white + mini

Mobile history:
Alcatel One Touch Easy * Nokia 3310 * Siemens A60 * Siemens SL65 * Nokia 6230i * Nokia 6300i * Apple iPhone 3GS (used) * iPhone 3GS (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 4S (used) * iPhone 4S (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 6 * iPhone 7 * iPhone XR * iPhone 12 Pro Max * iPhone 14 Pro Max
Message 18 of 19

Cleoriff
  • 123095 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

Nice  to hear from you @ComaChameleon 

It's been far too long xxxx

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 19 of 19