Did you mean: 

O2 sim card not working in USA

mark_87
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello everyone,

I recently returned from a month-long trip to the USA, and I encountered a frustrating issue with my O2 SIM card throughout my stay. Despite being set up for roaming under my contract, my phone consistently showed signal but remained stuck on "emergency calls only." I attempted to manually connect to networks to no avail.

Here's some background information: I confirmed with O2 several times that my roaming was properly set up and that my account should be working without any issues. My Samsung S23+ is configured correctly for roaming, following all guidance provided by O2 and online resources.

During part of my time in the USA, I was accompanied by two family members who also use O2, and their roaming services worked flawlessly. To troubleshoot, I tried their SIM card in my phone, which worked fine, and my SIM card in their phone, which didn't work. This indicates that there may be an issue specific to my SIM card or account.

It's also worth noting that my SIM card functioned perfectly with O2 before and after my trip to the USA. It only encountered problems while abroad.

If anyone has experienced a similar issue or has any insights or suggestions, I would greatly appreciate your input.

Thank you!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145120 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27850 Solutions

@mark_87 

Account type, tariff and bolt ons can all have an effect on roaming capability.

Also connecting to and visible "forbidden" networks can help.

Guides here:

Guide: Roaming MegaGuide 

USA - Roaming with O2 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 2 of 4

mark_87
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello,

I appreciate you responding, however I have the correct account type, tariff and bolt on for travel to USA. I spoke to O2 several times and they say everything their side is set up correctly (clearly it isn't, but not for the obvious reasons)

Message 3 of 4

Oxonian
Level 29: Intuitive
  • 6437 Posts
  • 116 Topics
  • 22 Solutions

@mark_87 wrote:

Hello,

I appreciate you responding, however I have the correct account type, tariff and bolt on for travel to USA. I spoke to O2 several times and they say everything their side is set up correctly (clearly it isn't, but not for the obvious reasons)

@mark_87 

Unfortunately, this is a customer to customer community so we cannot access your account. You need to contact O2 again and I would suggest that you try messaging O2 on social media :-

Facebook : https://o2uk.co/O2CFB

X (previously known as Twitter) : https://o2uk.co/O2CTW

Instagram : https://o2uk.co/O2CIG

You might need to remind the social media team once or twice before they engage with you. A typical response time is 48 hours. 

A complete schedule of how to contact O2 is in :-

Guide: How to find help & contact O2 

Please let us know how you get on. 👍

Message 4 of 4