Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number port problems

g0akc
Level 1: Joiner
  • 15 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

We have recently switched a mobile to O2 due to a re-contracting our Virgin Media broadband package which is now 'Volt'.  The line was on Virgin Mobile previously.  My wife uses that phone.

We requested that we kept the same number.  This was supposed to be 'seamless'.

Despite contacting Virgin and O2 four times so far to arrange a 'port' this week, the O2 line is still on a 'temporary' number.

The first request was submitted by a Virgin Media agent who 'put the PAC through'.

When that didn't get actioned I did it online on the O2 website.  That still failed.

I then called O2 customer services on Friday and went over all the details again.  All submitted and PAC code/information checked by O2 agent. The planned port was confirmed in an email from O2 and due to take place on 31st October (Monday).  Nothing happened.

I contacted O2 customer services again who said something about 'server issues'.  They could see the previous requests.  She apologised and is supposed to be arranging some compensation.  She put the port through again for yesterday.

I managed to put the old SIM in a an old handset dug out from the back of a drawer and, as feared, found we had been missing important calls/messages. Yesterday, at about 11AM, the old line went from that old phone. 

The number that we want to keep has evidently been 'ported out'.  However, it has not been 'ported in' and the O2 SIM is still on the temporary number this morning.  We tried turning the iPhone off/on several times including today.  We were travelling to London yesterday but have been in the UK throughout.  We get a strong signal on both networks here at home.

Before I ring O2, who don't seem to have grip on this, is there anything else we can try or should be doing?

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

James111
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@g0akc You’re confusing responsibility with accountability.

O2 are accountable, but the third-party is responsible for the service. I would be fairly sure that O2 (and Voda, EE, 3 etc if also affected) will have been putting the maximum amount of pressure on to get the issue fixed. And there might well be compensation clauses in the O2/provider contract for loss of service.

In such a case, ranting at O2 isn’t going to help if the outage is affecting thousands of processes.

Message 11 of 19

Arthur3
  • 5 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

My experience is almost identical, my Virgin service ended on Tuesday morning and as of today, Friday, I’m still on a temporary O2 number. O2 staff seem virtually clueless.

Message 12 of 19

g0akc
  • 15 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Interestingly O2 branded text messages came through saying they were going to commence doing the work, then saying it was completed - a couple of days AFTER the port seemed to be completed.  Also saying it would be at 6PM - received at 9PM - this caused alarm and confusion for my wife who mainly uses the SIM (she's not very technical) especially as it asked her to turn her phone off again.  She was concerned they were going to mess her line up again. Then she had trouble dialing out, with some message about calls to that number (from her stored numbers) not being allowed on that line.  That seemed to fix itself after several attempts.  This would surely confuse customers.

Message 13 of 19

g0akc
  • 15 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@James111 - No, I don't believe I am.

Nor am I 'ranting' - merely pointing out the obligations of the regulated provider to whom I pay the bill. I have no relationship with the 'third party' - only with O2, as a customer.

In any case, the executives of this 'third party' or whoever should look into the matter - they would do well to look at this link 

And whilst this might well be a short term fault or exception, as opposed to a deliberate refusal or omission, it should be taken seriously. Sufficient resilience or redundancy should be built in, with adequate resource, rather than looking for so called 'efficiencies' all the time. Clearly that currently isn't the case. After all, any hassle or difficulty in porting a number can be seen as anti competitive - because it puts customers off trying to move supplier.  I recall O2 having something of a track record in pushing back on the requirements and lead times - for example see the link here .

Aside from all this, the lack of proper communication, broken promises and general confusion contributed to the stress and hassle.  That is something that O2 should wholly own.

Message 14 of 19

g0akc
  • 15 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Who exactly are these ‘third parties’ and organisations?  I have it on good authority that O2 do the number portability in house (as I thought from working in the industry for 40 years).  So it’s O2…..

Message 15 of 19

O2Lisa
  • 996 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 32 Solutions

Morning @AimeeK, I am really sorry to hear you’re experiencing these issues. 
Hopefully everything has been resolved since your post but if you are still having any problems then the advisor online this morning is @O2Sarah

Are you able to have a look at this when you get the chance please Sarah. 

My working hours are Monday - Thursday 08:00 - 18:00
Any messages sent outside these time will be responded to on my return.
Thanks slight_smile

signature
Girl in a jacket
Message 16 of 19

gabsvf
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@O2Lisa I'm having the same issue. My number has not been ported yet from EE to O2. And it's more than 24h already! When will I have this sorted?

THanks!

Message 17 of 19

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123369 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7476 Solutions

@gabsvf 

It's @O2Sarah- on this morning. I've tagged her to your post. Look out for a message from her.

Best of luck and welcome to the forum. 😉

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 18 of 19

O2Sarah-
  • 689 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 25 Solutions

Thanks for the tag @Cleoriff 

@gabsvf I will send you a private message so we can check your account 

Message 19 of 19