cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sim Issue?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi.

My problem is that I have no signal when I put my sim into my phone (Xperia Z3+) however I'm not sure if its a problem with my sim or not. I'm leaning towards not but would like some opinions. It all starts about 2 months ago when I was having issues with my phone losing wifi and then not getting it back until several restarts and a couple hours later.

So I sent it to Sony for repair as it is still under warranty. But as it had some cracks on the back glass they charged me to replace that (which I expected). They sent it back to me and it still didnt connect to the wifi but this time no amount of restarts helped. Then they sent it back saying the mainboard had been replaced which I think is important to my issue as when I received it back this time the wifi worked (yay) but now I had no signal on my phone. I tried my wifes sim in my phone which I know for sure works and still no signal. So back it goes to Sony.

Then I get it back saying the sim tray had been replaced but alas still no signal. But both times I've had no signal I've tried to connect manually to a network under the settings but noticed that the default network ticked in the list is "3 UK" with other 3 and EE networks unavailable but listed and O2 nowhere to be found. So with this information I think maybe i've been changed over to 3 somewhere down the line and thats the problem. So I've gone to a local phone repair shop and borrowed a 3 PAYG sim, not registered with it or got any credit on it and the phone at first showed no signal again but then as was in the settings with the guy in the shop noticed a couple bars of signal seemingly confirming my theory.

However after checking the sim lock using *#*#7465625#*#* it says that it isnt locked. So should still work with my sim right? Unless I'm misunderstanding how a phone is locked to a network.

Any opinions on the problem would be greatly appreciated as I'm getting rather frustrated with the whole thing.

Message 1 of 39
38 REPLIES 38

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
See if your imei matches the one on your Sony support my devices page.
Message 21 of 39

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12082 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1125 Solutions
would it also be on the my o2 page (so long as it is/has been used on the o2 network and registered)?

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 22 of 39

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Not if the new one has already registered over it.
Message 23 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well on both the O2 website and Sony my devices it has the IMEI number ending in 55 which is the one the phone currently has. But just noticed relooking at the paperwork where it says they replaced the mainboard at the top of the page is an IMEI in ending 80 and IMEI out ending in 55 so it appears they did change the motherboard.
Message 24 of 39

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12082 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1125 Solutions

@viridis wrote:
Not if the new one has already registered over it.

given the problems getting the sim to work i wouldn't have imagined the new imei would have appeared....but apparently it has!!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 25 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think the new IMEI is on the O2 site as when the wifi had been fixed I downloaded and logged into the MyO2 app, to check my account. So I assume it registered the new IMEI then.
Message 26 of 39

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous How are you getting on with this issue. Any luck getting it sorted? 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 27 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable
Basically waiting on Sony to reply. My sim works in an older phone (Xperia J) via a sim adapter I got hold of to make my sim fit in the bigger slot. So i'm currently rocking 2 phones. One with my sim in to receive calls and texts and one for social media and emails etc as my z3+ still works with wifi and is much faster than the old xperia J

Apparently Sony are investigating and said to expect to hear from them within 3-5 working days. This was Saturday when I last heard from them so expect a response tomorrow. Their response times are atrocious, leaving everything the maximum amount of time before replying.

I answered one of their queries straight away and they essentially took 48 hours to acknowledge my reply and say they'd look into it.
Message 28 of 39

PhoneDoc
Level 14: Rising star 
  • 278 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 21 Solutions
Have you asked Sony's policy for supplying you with a new phone?
Through O2, after 2 or 3 repair attempts, you would be entitled to a new (refurbished) handset. Although this wouldn't apply to yourself @Anonymous, as you're a CPW customer, you could ask Sony if they have a similar policy. As it does sound like your Z3 is slowly being turned into some sort of frankenstein phone that may be a hassle to get 100% working again
Message 29 of 39

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
@PhoneDoc o2 policy is out of date, under consumer rights act 2015, after a single failed repair attempt a customer has a right to either a refund or price reduction if agreeing to keep the item.
However, that only applies to goods purchased after Oct 2015
@Anonymous when did you buy?
Message 30 of 39