cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocking code fiasco

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I'm not sure if this is the right place. I'm posting here due to the Kafka-esque experience that I'm having trying to get my unlock code. My contract has come to an end.

I've contacted the service desk 6 times, and each time I get promises made and promised broken. A rep promised my code within 24hours. No code. One manager promised a call back within 48hrs. No call. Another manager promised a call back every day at a certain time until I got my code. No call. I've received an email from o2 4 times stating that they cannot provide my unlock code and require further information. The information has been provided countless times now.

Each time I speak to a different person, reading the same script. Whenever I get to speak to a "manager" I get the same broken promises each time.

It's been almost a month of constant engagement with the same broken process.

Can anyone tell me how I can speak to someone who isn't following a script on a screen?

Regards,

Richard

Message 1 of 61
60 REPLIES 60

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144689 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27733 Solutions
Fingers crossed wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 21 of 61

Anonymous
Not applicable
Welcome. 😄
Message 22 of 61

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous ,

When you say they ask for more information, what do you mean? The type of information they need should give us an idea why it's taking this long to get the code? Is it a Samsung that you are trying to unlock? 

Message 23 of 61

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, it's a Samsung. This is the message I've received 4 times:

Dear O2 Customer,

We are really sorry that we have not provided you with the network
unlatching code you requested.

As per our findings,the handset was not bought from O2 directly due to
which we are unable to find the details in our database.

In order to further investigate, Could you please confirm the Original
purchase order number and original mobile phone number so that we can
check from where exactly the handset was bought. Because if we gives you
an unlatching code and the handset is non O2, the unlatching code
provided may not work which may lead to codes supplied not working or
locking your phone. Also if its an non o2 handset, you need to approach
the supplier for the unlatching code who in turn will provide the code
for unlocking the phone.

I've provided all the details I've got. Although the phone was not purchased direct from O2, I have a signed O2 paper contract, an O2 SIM card and 24 months of O2 payments. The box had O2 on the label.

I've been trying to speak to a human who is not following a script to resolve this issue, but the only outcome I get is yet another unlock application, blantantly untrue promises about when I'll get my code or disconnection. There appears to be absolutely no way to escalate this issue beyond the 1st-line support reps.

Message 24 of 61

Anonymous
Not applicable
There is possibly the issue then.

They won't unlock a phone not obtained through them unless it's been used in the network to latch it's imei to O2. I assume that is the case with you.

They are the supplier of the services ie contract only.
Message 25 of 61

Anonymous
Not applicable
I once asked for clarification on handset Un Locking.

This is what I recieved.

"Pay Monthly Non IPhone

If the handset has been purchased from O2 (voice, online, retail)

All handsets can be unlatched free of charge.

If the customer is still within contract, they must honour the remainder of their term.

The handset should have been used on the O2 network before it can be unlatched

Pay Monthly Iphone

If the phone has not yet been used on the O2 network, it cannot be unlocked by O2

If the customer is using an iPhone purchased from O2, Apple, CPW for use on O2: devices purchased from Orange, Vodafone, T-Mobile, Tesco or any foreign networks will not be unlocked.

The Phone must be activated on iTunes, non-activated iPhones cannot be unlocked

The Iphone will be unlocked FOC

Pay & Go Non IPhone

Pay & Go can only unlatch a handset after it has been active on the O2 Network for 12 Months.

Was the handset purchased from O2, or a 3rd party?

3rd party

If the customer has had their handset for 12 months, the phone can be unlatched at a cost of £15.

Was the handset purchased from O2, or a 3rd party?

O2

If the customer has had their handset for 12 months, the phone can be unlatched at a cost of £15.

Pay & Go IPhone

If the iPhone was purchased from O2, Apple, CPW or Phones 4u not for use on O2, O2 is unable to unlock their iPhone.

If the iPhone was purchased from O2, Apple, CPW or Phones 4u for use on O2, the phone will need to have been used against the customers number.

There is a charge of £15 to unlock the iPhone"
Message 26 of 61

MI5
  • 144689 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27733 Solutions
I assume from what you have said that you are using the phone on the O2 network?
If so, there should not be any issue.
The phone (if at all) is locked to O2 and they have a legal obligation to unlock it - It's just more stalling, waffle and poor CS.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 27 of 61

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, there you go. The "3" SIM card worked no problem in my handset. My phone has been used with the O2 network for 2 years, so it was definitely connected to them. Very odd  indeed.

@MI5 , here's the code you asked for. Could you confirm if this shows the phone is unlocked?

CSC: I8190NBTUAMJ1

This is with the 3 SIM card in it, if that makes any difference.

Message 28 of 61

MI5
  • 144689 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27733 Solutions

Yep, as I expected - BTU CSC is unlocked generic firmware wink

Also why I suggested you checked another sim in my very first reply - That is usually the reason why any network cannot find an unlock code (because the phone isn't locked).

Currently using:
Message 29 of 61

Anonymous
Not applicable

Excellent, @MI5! How I wish I had come here first!

Message 30 of 61