cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

o2 Travel - Dublin

Anonymous
Not applicable

Off to Dublin in a few days, first time using o2 Travel, am I right in saying all I need to do is enable Roaming on my iPhone (already have o2 Travel Bolt-on). Also I will use Tu Go so I assume make sure 3G is enabled within the App? Any info apprecaited, Cheers.

Message 1 of 42
41 REPLIES 41

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

I'm not sure how a UK network can be held responsible for the performance of networks abroad.

Let us know if you get anything on this.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 31 of 42

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122384 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hey @Anonymous You will have no problem in Spain. I go every 6 weeks or so...Plenty of Wifi everywhere..and no problems with anything really. I use the Movistar network...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 32 of 42

MI5
  • 143455 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
I knew there would be a catch when they announced "unlimited" data on o2 travel wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 33 of 42

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff so can I assume when your using o2 Travel in Spain, you get good data speeds with no shaping? Cheers.

Message 34 of 42

Cleoriff
  • 122384 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

@Cleoriff so can I assume when your using o2 Travel in Spain, you get good data speeds with no shaping? Cheers.

If I am being totally honest @Anonymous I don't experience any problems whatsoever. However,I expect it is region dependent. I go to the Costa del Sol. I have an apartment there and last year had WiFi installed which is as fast as the UK. Most of the friends I visit and places I go also have WiFi.

I rarely use my phone when in the apartment as I have a laptop there for internet access which is very fast..

So my set up is superb for me.

I do have friends who visit the same area and only have access to mobiles and tablets. They are very surprised (and delighted) at the speeds they achieve.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 35 of 42

cyrillicguy
  • 247 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

@perksie wrote:

I'm not sure how a UK network can be held responsible for the performance of networks abroad.

The performance of the network abroad (O2.ie in this case) is just fine - go there, buy a local sim and you'll see it. It's the O2 UK traffic shaping and throttling for their customers who roam abroad is the problem.

Message 36 of 42

MI5
  • 143455 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@cyrillicguy wrote:

@perksie wrote:

The performance of the network abroad (O2.ie in this case) is just fine - go there, buy a local sim and you'll see it. It's the O2 UK traffic shaping and throttling for their customers who roam abroad is the problem.

Always the same with any network you roam on.

The home network will always give priority to their own customers and the roaming agreements will be deliberately limited to prevent excessive data use as this would have to be paid for by O2.

As they are only charging £1.99 a day they can't afford to give too much away.

It will be fine for emails and some low level internet usage but forget trying to stream anything with a high bit rate as it just won't work.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 37 of 42

jonsie
  • 92929 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

It's a shame that people roaming don't get the same service as home users....After all, we pay so much more. Can't help wondering how visitors to our fair  country go on when roaming on o2??

Message 38 of 42

Cleoriff
  • 122384 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I had an English friend who lived in Spain but came home frequently. She got round the problem by using a Spanish mobile in Spain and an O2 mobile whilst in the UK.....Thaat way she covered all her bases so to speak...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 39 of 42

darrengf
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions
I can confirm that O2 Travel is poor in Europe with the exception of Spain and the only reason for this is because of Telefonica there I think.

Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Ireland, France is so slow you can walk quicker.

O2 state its Unlimited, which I get is fair use age up to 100mb. speeds are dependant on local networks, I get that too.
I also understand how networks, signals and throttling works.
I proved it last year that O2 throttle the speeds instantly and it makes no difference if you use data at 1pm or 1am in the country your visiting. I complained last year, took proof etc and O2 refunded me the whole week of data charges. I even had a Mms charge which I proved was an error and that was refunded too.

I understand regarding the throttling bit and I know that companies have to make profit, but at least allow me to use 100mb first before you throttle the data, I couldn't even get to the max of 100mb no matter how hard I hammered the phone.

What was more embarrassing, there were some Americans who get EU Data for free on there plans and the speeds were fine. I just goes to show you how were get the raw deal.

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Review-on-O2-Travel-in-France-Belgium-Netherland...

The above is an article I wrote
Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 40 of 42