cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unfair default on O2 account

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,

I need some help and advise please......

Recently my partner checked his Experian credit report as we are applying for a mortgage soon and upon checking this he saw that he had a default on his account from O2 going back nearly 2 years.  He left O2 and went to 3, when doing this there was an outstanding balance left on his account which he did not realise.  As soon as he realised this he called up and paid the £58.00 immediately, we then went on to contact O2 as he had never being made aware that he owed the money, he has never owed money before and had a perfect credit rating now thanks to the absolute space cadets that are O2 we are now going to struggle to get a new home.  They not once have tried to ask for the money back and considering they are a telecommunications company I think it is pathetic.  I have being in contact with all sorts of departments from credit referrals, web team, customer service and now complaints review.  Please can someone help me as all we want is the default form the account removed as it is completely unfair, how are you meant to pay a bill which you do not know about??  To say I am angry and at the end of my tether would be an understatement and would like some advice as to what route to take next.  I have read many articles online where O2 have done exactly the same thing to other people and they have removed the default.  O2’s customer service is shocking and I would never return to this big bully company, when the new iphone 6 comes out I shall most defiantly be moving to EE.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated slight_smile

Message 1 of 43
42 REPLIES 42

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

We've heard similar stories on here.

If you've already completed the O2 complaints procedure and they won't budge then speak to the ombudsman and talk to the credit reference agency.

If they won't remove the default then you're looking at having that for 6 years on your file even after paying it off.
Message 2 of 43

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144516 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27711 Solutions
You can try and get your own notes added to the credit report which may help, but O2 are notorious at this unfortunately.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 43

Anonymous
Not applicable

Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you think it would be worth contacting my solicitor or going to the media?

Message 5 of 43

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144516 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27711 Solutions

Not really, tbh.

Unless there are enough reports to Watchdog......?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 43

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Do you think it would be worth contacting my solicitor or going to the media?

Hi @Anonymous   I have no personal experience of such a problem but you might want to have a look at this website:-  Credit Rating - Fight  If the default is likely to have the sort of effect you fear as regards getting a mortgage then I'd say take your complaint as far and as fast as you can.

I do hope you are successful in getting it sorted out.

Gerry

Message 7 of 43

Anonymous
Not applicable

02 is a disgrace and need to be investigated by Watchdog.    The default notice are unjustifable in the case of small outstanding debts and people struggling to meet payments.  This company does not ASSIST you don't be fooled by the GINGER CAT advert as 02 is not what it proclaims to be!  I am so very disgusted with 02 having been a loyal customer for 9 years.   I received a default notice for ONE missed payment which was paid before the notice.  I seriously thought the company must have made a mistake as the debt was paid the following day two weeks.  So I was baffled when I received the default notice two weeks later......... as I was not in debt and had regularly paid my monthly bills on time.

02 are purely greedy, conducting unethical methods for financial gain destroying people's lives in the process if one payment is so much as missed!  I urge anyone reading this article to look at a link that was posted on this forum (artical by Guardian Newspaper re: £10 mobile bill wrecked couples mortgage application) which shows the lengths that 02 will stoop in conducting unethical business practice, these defaults are being dished out freely regardless  AND it is WRONG.

It is a waste of time talking to customer services as the company has clearly trained it's employees to simply adhere to the script so of course customer service will not budge as they don't know how to and haven't been trained to deal with the real issues facing customers but to keep repeating themselves like a parrott over and over again.  This is frustrating ............

DO NOT SIGN UP WITH O2 ...............

Message 8 of 43

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am sure we could have an interesting debate as to whether O2 pursues unethical practices. But let us not lose sight of another perspective on the matter. How ethical or otherwise is it for a bank, building society or other lender to refuse a mortgage just because a prospective borrower "defaulted" on one payment over a period of years custom.
There are areas of life where zero tolerance is admirable and desirable. Perhaps more education is needed so that people realise how serious the consequences of failing to meet financial commitments can be.
In posting this message I am not criticising anyone, or pointing the finger, I am simply trying to be realistic about the nature of modern life. There is little room for sentiment in business it would appear.

Gerry
Message 9 of 43

Anonymous
Not applicable
It's also possible the application for a mortgage won't be declined for one default.
Message 10 of 43