cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DEFAULT placed on a 'closed' account - O2 cannot access my account due to it being an 'OLD' account

StayGolden
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi all,

I am currently not an O2 Account holder, and have not been for the past 2 years. However, in Feb 2023, I realised my credit score had reduced to poor and had no understanding why. I used Experian to try and understand what may have caused this drop, however no information was provided. I then used TransUnion, and it had notified me that my there had been a default on my account from O2, due to a missed payment of £14. My date of birth was also incorrect under 'Account Holder Information'.

I thought let me contact O2 and simply pay off the remaining amount, and I was able to reach them on 25th Oct 2023 and pay it off via the phone, and was advised that my credit score would change. A couple of months passed and the default still remained on my account. 

As such, I attempted to raise a dispute for this payment, however this dispute was unsuccessful for the following reasons:

1. Lack of supporting evidence 
  2. Evidence provided insufficient 
  3. Credit report already amended 

I responded, sending them a screenshot of the payment that was taken from my account to O2 and to this day have not heard back.

I also contacted creditfilereferrals@telefonica.com regarding this, and was told that the £14 was still on my account and I have to pay it off by contacting O2 Payment.

I have attempted to call O2 numerous amounts of time to simply pay off the £14, however they are now saying they cannot my access my account due to a different name under 'account holder', and I was asked to go into the O2 shop with ID to verify myself. I did just that, and when the O2 individuals on the phone spoke to the staff in store, they expressed they could not access my account due to it being an old account, and was advised to contact Moorcroft regarding this. However, I have not received a letter from them asking for them to be contacted. I will plan to do so anyway. 

In the mean time, I have contacted creditfilereferrals@telefonica.com 3 times and have not heard absolutely anything. It's all not making sense. Why is there a charge for an already closed account? How was I previously able to clear the payment in Oct 2023, to then be told that the the account can no longer be accessed and that there is a different name under the Account Holder Information, as well as a wrong Date Of Birth. 

What are the next steps regarding this? Should I contact Moorcroft? 

It's frustrating me as I am hoping to get a mortgage next year, but this sole missed payment of £14 seems to be strongly impacting my credit score.

If you have made it this far, thank you! Any ideas would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6608 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1488 Solutions

Seems to me you have done everything you can

I think I would contact Moorcroft as the debt will have been sold on to them, probably why it has cleared O2s books

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 2 of 3

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144410 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

@StayGolden 

It's not what you want to hear but as it appears the default was legitimate, it won't be removed.

You can add a notice of correction to your file stating that it was an unlnown bill and was paid off as soon as you discovered it, but that's the best you can do.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 3